Hyams claims AJ Branisel not long with this program

Interpretation: I yanked a claim out of my rear and didn't take the time to see if it was actually true first.

Jones has continued to have attrition among guys he signed that seems unusually high.

"Unusual" to whom? People looking for something?

Reactions: 2 people
What are the rules if a player starts camp? Will he lose a year of eligibility? Could he join another program now?

It just seems a little odd that he would leave in the middle of camp because of competition.

Yeah, that's a good question, SJT, idk when the requirement to sit out a year (or go to to a JUCO, etc.) kicks in. IDK if he's past that point or not.

But the timing of Jakob Johnson's shift to TE and AJ Branisel's announcement seem beyond coincidental. You have to assume AJ felt he'd lost another spot on the depth chart, or was in danger of doing so. Slim chance at playing time had to have been something he was already concerned about, and JJ's arrival was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Last edited:
it is disturbing our retention rate right now...
seems to be we are losing more than most programs.....:ermm::ermm:

If Butch had wanted to keep him...he would have. When you are building a program you let the weak weed themselves out and fill those positions with stronger more talented players. Sometimes it takes a little while to identify the weak but once you do you part ways...one way or the other.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually I'm a bit surprised it took this long...seems like a good kid but the talent coming in, regardless of classic TE's, is going to find its way onto the field....Kids gonna go where they can play...I agree...it would prob work best for us if he stayed this year but this is not catastrophic by any means...

Agree TR transfer attrition has become the norm across CFB and it may be due to coaches being honest about PT with the players. The more successful programs have a year round competition for each position.

Agree TR transfer attrition has become the norm across CFB and it may be due to coaches being honest about PT with the players. The more successful programs have a year round competition for each position.

Yeah I hear a lot of people saying things like "oh this should throw up a red flag on Butch Jones and this staff." I don't agree with that at all. I think this is simply CBJ's method of flipping the roster and getting the best players he can.

Based on what? What had he done to put him above the other TEs on the roster? I'm just not sure why this is being made out to be such a big deal

Losing a player is always a big deal. Fortunately for the Vols, they have 2 solid proven TEs in Alex Ellis and Ethan Wolf. I look for Neiko Creamer to step up this year as well. It's a blow in the way of depth, but not one that will hurt the team unless guys start dropping like flies or something crazy like that.

Just did a search on " college football attrition". There are plenty of articles and even one site that had a break down of all college teams attrition %. We weren't first or last in the SEC.
Here's the link if it'll work.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dPjOctLHmlJ8__ub8ZqwTVz9DRRnCINjNZqjUmfm1s0/mobilebasic?pli=1

LWS drilled in on the attrition rate compared to other teams in the SEC. If anyone is truly asking this question to see where we compare to other teams we compete directly with, I would invite them to click on LWS username and check out the breakdown. If not, quit acting like you have a clue of what is going on with this football team(not a shot at you by the way 66volfan).

Saban didn't have the talent disparity between his first class and the two succeeding...Butch scrapped together that first class with a short window...think Woody Quinn gets recruited nowadays? Thing is Saban doesn't think twice about jettisoning a player if he needs the spot. We all know Butch needs to win at a higher level and this moaning will stop.

Hendrix and Scott weren't part of that first class. Maybe it works out eventually but he can't just continue to make excuses about being young and thin while losing players with potential. That's been the real "moaning"... and most have bought it.

So far 7 of the 11 four star players from the first "good" class in '14 are gone for various reasons. Paulk a 3* in a position of need is gone. Nine of the 22 signed in '13 including 2 of the 5 four star players.

If either of those classes were re-scored now, they wouldn't look so great.

When you are trying to build depth and talent and are using those things as reasons you cannot win more games.... then you can't keep having that level of attrition.

And.... it sure seems a lot of the same posters who say this recruit or that one will be a "beast", "starter from day one", "better than the current starter", etc.... will turn around and say the player was no big loss when they leave to program.

Every program loses players. Jones just seems to be losing a high % and especially among the highly rated players.

Reactions: 3 people
LWS drilled in on the attrition rate compared to other teams in the SEC. If anyone is truly asking this question to see where we compare to other teams we compete directly with, I would invite them to click on LWS username and check out the breakdown. If not, quit acting like you have a clue of what is going on with this football team(not a shot at you by the way 66volfan).

Not taken as a shot at all. For clarification though I was just letting folks know the data is out there to end the argument. I'm making no claims what so ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if more attrition is coming. I'm looking directly at someone like Josh Malone and if Jennings truly steps up and Preston Williams steps in and lives up to his hype, I could easily see Malone feeling like the odd man out and wanting to transfer.

The attrition isn't something to be concerned about except for the fact that it usually means a team stays fairly young.

This usually happens with someone else's recruits early and not so much later. Someone mentioned Saban. Saban's main attrition problem at this point is called the National Football League.

The main reason I wouldn't be concerned is I haven't seen a case yet where someone bad mouthed Tennessee or Coach Jones on their way out the door.

All in all, it's usually a good sign depending on what the circumstances are. It means (a) a coach is probably being honest with a kid about the playing time he will get and (b) the program is on solid enough footing that a coach isn't desperate enough to keep a player that no longer wants to be around.

I don't think any of the players who left are any that are going to affect the win-loss record.

I wouldn't be surprised if more attrition is coming. I'm looking directly at someone like Josh Malone and if Jennings truly steps up and Preston Williams steps in and lives up to his hype, I could easily see Malone feeling like the odd man out and wanting to transfer.

PW is going to be in shorter supply...he still needs to pace himself recovering from that injury. JJ will have ups and downs...like any talent learning a new position. If Malone does his part and balls out, he'll have plenty of opportunity. If not? We won't care anyway. :wavey:

Don't blame AJ, really. He sees Ethan Wolf, Alex Ellis, Neiko Creamer, & Joe Stocstill all around him, most in front of him on the depth chart...and then sees young incoming talent joining the squad in the form of Will Jumper and Eli Wolf...and then sees gifted athlete Jakob Johnson shift into the position ... he just read the tea leaves and figured out he probably wasn't gonna get nearly as much play time as he was looking forward to.

So he's off to find a greener pasture with less bulls ripping up the earth. Makes sense, from his perspective. I wish AJ the best, wherever he lands.

I think if this was the the case he would have left after spring. Branisel was ahead of Creamer and Alex Ellis is a Semior. Eli Wolf, Stocstill, Jumper are walk ons and no threat to Branisel. Just weird this kid would play as a true Freshman then sit an entire year with injury only to leave 3 weeks before the season starts. I want to believe all the attrition is normal and I think most of it is but some players leaving Branisel in this case makes me wonder.

The attrition isn't something to be concerned about except for the fact that it usually means a team stays fairly young.

This usually happens with someone else's recruits early and not so much later. Someone mentioned Saban. Saban's main attrition problem at this point is called the National Football League.

The main reason I wouldn't be concerned is I haven't seen a case yet where someone bad mouthed Tennessee or Coach Jones on their way out the door.

All in all, it's usually a good sign depending on what the circumstances are. It means (a) a coach is probably being honest with a kid about the playing time he will get and (b) the program is on solid enough footing that a coach isn't desperate enough to keep a player that no longer wants to be around.

I don't think any of the players who left are any that are going to affect the win-loss record.

Agreed. If AJ Branisel was going to affect our win/loss record then we have much bigger problems. Chances are, and this is not one of those sour grape posts, he was most likely at best 3rd on the depth chart behind Wolf and Ellis. If Creamer had past him too then a 4th string TE is not one to worry about

Looking at the document and saw that in 2009, Tennessee is listed as having an attrition rate of 79%.

That's got to be a record.

Might want to keep checking the current numbers at Texas...Strong's going for that record. :aggressive:

I agree it seems a surprising move as Vols are not exactly loaded with TE talent. And this on top of the TE who transferred last year.

VN Store

Back