Hugh Freeze with added sanctions vs...

I've been in Clayton Homes that handled drafts better than Belichick..... and that's saying something.
Actually Belichek has thrived over the years and has done well with the drafts. I’m not sure how well he has fared in the last 5 years but before that he was exceptional on developing his roster through the draft and other player acquisitions.

Topic for discussion. What is worse....a proven coach that can compete with upper tier programs and the additional NCAA sanctions that would accompany him or a less proven coach with possibly fewer NCAA sanctions? As we see less experienced coaches hired and multiple coaches turning down offers, it certainly appears the overall strategy of the administration appears questionable at best. Would it have been a better strategy to focus less on throwing Pruitt under the bus and the program with it? Perhaps offering a portion of his salary to keep his mouth shut and go away while doing it's best NOT to expose recruiting violations? With Freeze....or even Kiffin for that matter....lobbying for the position, would coordinators be turning those coaches down right now. I just have trouble believing that coaches would turning down top tier money while working for a proven SEC coach. Just seems like UT is still playing checkers while other programs are playing chess at every level of the administration.
Why keep living in fantasy land! We have a coach and HE wants to build a future here!

"No, no, we can't hire one of the handful of the best and most proven coaches in D-I because the NCAA will sanction us! Just like they did Liberty when he was hired there!"

Freeze? One of the "handful of the best" in Division 1?

Did you seriously just say that? Heh.

Hugh Freeze's .592 win rate (48-33, career as head coach in D1) makes him the 62nd best coach in division 1 today. #62, out of 130.

p.s. Josh Heupel, at .778, ties for #9 on the list.

Last edited:
Hey, if the guy wins.....more power to him. He will silence all the critics. Myself included. I just don't see it and it appears that there are a lot of people turning down good money because they don't see it either. I feel like the question needs to be asked.
White isn’t the problem. The flaming pile of crap he inherited is. White is the first decent AD we’ve had in two decades. Heupel I have no idea if he’s the answer or not but he was the best we could get at the time. Even Heupel isn’t the problem with hiring, coaches just do not want to work for this program and you can’t blame them. If our fans are too damn dumb to understand why it’s on them. Tennessee is crippled right now to a degree that they will not be competitive for several years.

When you have every other school in the sec recruiting by one set of rules and another turning themselves into the NCAA not bc they want to be fair but bc they want to be cheap you’re not going to have decent coaches wanting to jump on broad even when you throw millions at them. We weaseled out of a contract bc Pruitt tried to recruit by the same practices as every other program he had been part of instead of paying him to go away and making another hire. We threw coaches, assistants, players and ancillary staff under the bus and made this job infinitely harder than it already was to save money. Tennessee thought they could take that money saved and get a good coach but no one wanted to come here.

We had one coach consider coming here, he reached out to a few assistants and found not many were interested in working for Tennessee. We salted the earth with coaches and a few different places as far as recruiting. You better hope Heupel works out bc our options don’t get better after him.

Reactions: Raebo
J
Topic for discussion. What is worse....a proven coach that can compete with upper tier programs and the additional NCAA sanctions that would accompany him or a less proven coach with possibly fewer NCAA sanctions? As we see less experienced coaches hired and multiple coaches turning down offers, it certainly appears the overall strategy of the administration appears questionable at best. Would it have been a better strategy to focus less on throwing Pruitt under the bus and the program with it? Perhaps offering a portion of his salary to keep his mouth shut and go away while doing it's best NOT to expose recruiting violations? With Freeze....or even Kiffin for that matter....lobbying for the position, would coordinators be turning those coaches down right now. I just have trouble believing that coaches would turning down top tier money while working for a proven SEC coach. Just seems like UT is still playing checkers while other programs are playing chess at every level of the administration.
Jesus, get a life.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Getting behind the current coach and hoping for the best hasn't worked too well for the past 15 years.
Throwing the baby out with the bathwater won't either. I do not understand the fascination with a really good coach that can't handle the pressure of a large program.

Then I guess its time for you to get behind another team
I agree with you and think it is time for a lot of people to move on and pick another team. As smart as they think they are, I am sure they can find another one to drag through the mud ,

Hard time following the point of this Thread.....Yes I can read but Hugh Freeze is no longer in the running and we need to move forward....

If IFs and Buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas.

Or Woulda Coulda or Shoulda....did not happen....

You haven’t given CJH even a month on the job!!!!!

He needs to hire some coaches and get to work. Getting old seeing no development, recruiting or real prep for spring practice, no matter what you think of the hire. I think he can do a good job here, but this mess of assistant coach search is plain terrible

Any more exes you can't get over? I'm here for you if you need to talk.

We've hired a lot of coaches over the past few years.....maybe if there was more scrutiny then, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Good lord, man. Name a program whose fans put their coaches under more scrutiny than UT?

I think your tie might be too tight.

UNC basketball program wiped their donks with the NCAA rule book and possibility of sanctions. We cower like cockroaches when somebody turns the light on, to hell with their sanctions. We self reported, it is what it is. It hurts their purses worse than it does ours long run and the SEC as well.

VN Store

Back