Huge news!

Thanks Freak. I couldn't find a link to the story in the online edition. matts, I kept holding my newspaper up to the screen but apparently, you couldn't see it.

Thanks Freak. I couldn't find a link to the story in the online edition. matts, I kept holding my newspaper up to the screen but apparently, you couldn't see it.

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

Thanks for the hard effort! I really hope Slim is the hire.

What are the compliance issues with Simcox? Due to his baseball training facility? Or just crossing t's and dotting i's?

I hope Simcox joins the staff. I asked Larry if CDS had asked him to come on board when I talked with him during the 2012 TSSAA state baseball tourney, he said they had discussions about it but he elected to operate his business.

What are the compliance issues with Simcox? Due to his baseball training facility? Or just crossing t's and dotting i's?

I hope Simcox joins the staff. I asked Larry if CDS had asked him to come on board when I talked with him during the 2012 TSSAA state baseball tourney, he said they had discussions about it but he elected to operate his business.

Just guessing it would have as much to do with the Diamond-Simcox 16U travel team as it does with the academy...no knowledge at all, just guessing.

Reactions: 1 person
Just guessing it would have as much to do with the Diamond-Simcox 16U travel team as it does with the academy...no knowledge at all, just guessing.

Correct, a coach or staff can only have a limited number of contacts with a recruit, perspective recruit, or individual. A case could be made that if hired, Simcox has had more than the allowable "contacts" with a recruit or individual. It doesn't matter if the individual is college baseball material or not. Giving lessons and running a travel team are not permissible by the NCAA unless its a camp format sponsored by the University.

Correct, a coach or staff can only have a limited number of contacts with a recruit, perspective recruit, or individual. A case could be made that if hired, Simcox has had more than the allowable "contacts" with a recruit or individual. It doesn't matter if the individual is college baseball material or not. Giving lessons and running a travel team are not permissible by the NCAA unless its a camp format sponsored by the University.

But those rules wouldn't apply before he was hired.

But those rules wouldn't apply before he was hired.

you wouldn't think so however you are dealing with the NCAA! I'm not implying he or others can't be hired however there "may be" process of disclosing oneself to the NCAA when you are working with potential recruits and being considered for a coaching position.

Last edited:
you wouldn't think so however you are dealing with the NCAA! I'm not implying he or others can't be hired however there "may be" process of disclosing oneself to the NCAA when you are working with potential recruits and being considered for a coaching position.

No, his clock starts the day he starts at UT.

He won't have to sell his stake in the school, but can't coach the youth teams or work directly with any players that are high school age.

He won't have to sell his stake in the school, but can't coach the youth teams or work directly with any players that are high school age.

Yeah so pretty much he has to stop doing 1 on 1 lessons with high schoolers. He can do "group lessons" which is 3+ players at a time. My wife just quit being a NCAA coach and lessons like that help the ole monthly income.

What about the use of his name on the teams/business??

I would have guessed that would have been required to change

What about the use of his name on the teams/business??

I would have guessed that would have been required to change

Now that's a good question. But schools use head coaches name a lot. "Mark Richt 7-7 camp". So my guess is as long as it was running already they can't really do anything?

Now that's a good question. But schools use head coaches name a lot. "Mark Richt 7-7 camp". So my guess is as long as it was running already they can't really do anything?

Yes coaches use their names in camps but this would be different I would assume

Serrano said he wanted to name a coach by Monday. The tournament being hosted by Diamond Baseball -- Simcox Academy ends tomorrow (Sunday). Draw your own conclusions.

VN Store

Back