Huff's Vols Hoops Roundup (Stats and Pro Prospect Discussions)

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
If you don't know me from the NBA forum, I like to tease numbers and I like to talk about players in terms of their pro potential, so I thought an ongoing Vols thread about this would be fun.

Through 10 games, we are absolutely killing it shooting the ball. 3 of the 7 players getting significant minutes are lights out, and 5 are significantly above average:

1610387650962.png

I'm really afraid that it will have been a mistake for Pons to come back. His stats are down across the board and next year is a stronger draft. I don't understand why he stayed and I don't understand why more teams weren't interested in him based on the year he had, his physical attributes, and the quality of the other players in the draft.

What we're seeing from JJJ, Springer, and Keon Johnson is good, but I'm not sure it's enough for them to want to make the leap in a strong draft. We could be getting 2-3 back. Probably just wishful thinking but the 5th pick makes twice as much as the 15th pick and almost 3x as much as the 25th pick. KJ and Springer seem like they have the potential to attain top 5 pick status in the 2022 draft (KJ still could in this draft if he closes strong...or they could fall back if it's not pretty). This article has them at 9th and 21st right now, with no JJJ or Pons in the 1st round.

2021 NBA Mock Draft 1.0: New Year Edition

Last edited:
If you don't know me from the NBA forum, I like to tease numbers and I like to talk about players in terms of their pro potential, so I thought an ongoing Vols thread about this would be fun.

Through 10 games, we are absolutely killing it shooting the ball. 3 of the 7 players getting significant minutes are lights out, and 5 are significantly above average:

View attachment 338273

I'm really afraid that it will have been a mistake for Pons to come back. His stats are down across the board and next year is a stronger draft. I don't understand why he stayed and I don't understand why more teams weren't interested in him based on the year he had, his physical attributes, and the quality of the other players in the draft.

What we're seeing from JJJ, Springer, and Keon Johnson is good, but I'm not sure it's enough for them to want to make the leap in a strong draft. We could be getting 2-3 back. Probably just wishful thinking but the 5th pick makes twice as much as the 15th pick and almost 3x as much as the 25th pick. KJ and Springer seem like they have the potential to attain top 5 pick status in the 2022 draft (KJ still could in this draft if he closes strong...or they could fall back if it's not pretty). This article has them at 9th and 21st right now, with no JJJ or Pons in the 1st round.

2021 NBA Mock Draft 1.0: New Year Edition
Pons has a legit shot to be NCAA defensive player of the year along with SEC player of the year. Draymond Green makes a living playing defense not offense.

Reactions: JoAllan
Pons has a legit shot to be NCAA defensive player of the year along with SEC player of the year. Draymond Green makes a living playing defense not offense.

Defense will be his ticket in the NBA. Needs to make the league first. Had a better chance coming out last year when he was shooting OK, is what I'm saying. Scouts know he can play D they just are scared of useless offensive players, which he may be. Draymond is not.

Reactions: berryvol
Draymond Green has 34 triple doubles. He has a career 5 assist-per-game average, with the average for each of the last 4 seasons exceeding 6. He had over 10 rebounds per game in his final season of college. They're really not very similar players, except in the sense that neither are traditional for the position.

Defense will be his ticket in the NBA. Needs to make the league first. Had a better chance coming out last year when he was shooting OK, is what I'm saying. Scouts know he can play D they just are scared of useless offensive players, which he may be. Draymond is not.

The team D stats w/ Pons on the floor should favor him a lot better this year compared to last. His key will be knocking down 3s in his individual workouts I think. He has a clear path to either a starting role player or multi-year vet off the bench. Hard worker and good team guy that defends travels well! Grant has carved a niche with similar traits.

The team D stats w/ Pons on the floor should favor him a lot better this year compared to last. His key will be knocking down 3s in his individual workouts I think. He has a clear path to either a starting role player or multi-year vet off the bench. Hard worker and good team guy that defends travels well! Grant has carved a niche with similar traits.
I think Grant and Pons are two totally different players.

VN Store

Back