Hubbs has knee surgery

That's what I thought. This might be the first that he's been taught fundamentals. Tyndall spent a large part of his time teaching the Donnie Ball Defense.

His shots will drop if he keeps taking them. Mostella has a ton of talent and potential. Poor defense and some bad turnovers led him to Tyndall's bench.

His TO total is still a Negative but his assist stat is very positive

Only 15 assist all of last year and already 13 this year. Encouraging stat

27%fg last year and 26% this year. That's has dropping bad.

Reactions: 1 person
His TO total is still a Negative but his assist stat is very positive

Only 15 assist all of last year and already 13 this year. Encouraging stat

27%fg last year and 26% this year. That's has dropping bad.

What was his coaching like in high school? He's in his 2nd year, but it doesn't seem like he had a lot of minutes last year.

They take turns! lol! Who will it be next year? I hope NO ONE! All of them are good guys!

I think the thing with those two is that their potential was very high when they were signed and they didn't play like everybody expected. I hope that Mostella doesn't get frustrated... he's very good and just needs to adapt to this next level.

Reactions: 2 people
Its important that Mostella makes his mark this year as a sophmore. He is going to battle with Phillips for minutes right now. And Phillips is showing some good signs. And next year he will have to contend with Phillips, Turner, Bone, Parker and Johnson. That's some pretty nice back court competition.

Its important that Mostella makes his mark this year as a sophmore. He is going to battle with Phillips for minutes right now. And Phillips is showing some good signs. And next year he will have to contend with Phillips, Turner, Bone, Parker and Johnson. That's some pretty nice back court competition.

It wouldn't hurt if Mostella could add some bulk. Apparently Barnes likes to run the man-to-man and switch on every screen. Mostella gets pushed around by 4s and bigger 3s. He's quick enough to stay with 1s and 2s but needs to improve his fundamentals.

I think the thing with those two is that their potential was very high when they were signed and they didn't play like everybody expected. I hope that Mostella doesn't get frustrated... he's very good and just needs to adapt to this next level.

Very True! That is why I don't like the grading. Its the opinion of a group of so-called experts. These young men are under pressure once entering into college to play according to their stars. When really that star might have been based on a few visits or stats online. Its unfair!

Very True! That is why I don't like the grading. Its the opinion of a group of so-called experts. These young men are under pressure once entering into college to play according to their stars. When really that star might have been based on a few visits or stats online. Its unfair!

And some of our high expectations of players are based on their highlight videos. Those highlights of high-flying above the rim dunking shows great athleticism but you may rarely see when they get to the college level. These guys have to develop skills and that takes some time.

I thought that Detrick was just young. I thought he might be a 19 year old sophomore. He's actually 22. It might not be that easy for him to add bulk to his slight frame. It's still possible that he hasn't had outstanding coaching though. He did go to prep school... maybe that was to elevate his academics.

I thought that Detrick was just young. I thought he might be a 19 year old sophomore. He's actually 22. It might not be that easy for him to add bulk to his slight frame. It's still possible that he hasn't had outstanding coaching though. He did go to prep school... maybe that was to elevate his academics.

His bulk isn't an issue IMO. He is actually one of our better rebounders where you would think his bulk would hurt him

He had to go to prep school. He wasn't eligible the year before

Last edited:

That's what most of the prep schools are used for....to elevate academics, get help with SAT scores and to reclassify to get better offers.

@wesrucker247: #Vols' Robert Hubbs won't play at Butler on Saturday. Barnes said knee isn't ready.

That's what most of the prep schools are used for....to elevate academics, get help with SAT scores and to reclassify to get better offers.

So I'm wondering if he ever had competent coaching before he set foot on UT's campus. Then CDT wasn't exactly a normal defensive system. Mostella is maybe still learning fundamentals.

His bulk isn't an issue IMO. He is actually one of our better rebounders where you would think his bulk would hurt him

He gets runs down loose balls and has great leaping ability. But he gets pushed around. He doesn't really out battle larger players for rebounds in the paint.

He gets runs down loose balls and has great leaping ability. But he gets pushed around. He doesn't really out battle larger players for rebounds in the paint.

The position he plays he should be expected to do much of that. His rebounds per minutes is a very solid stat though

The position he plays he should be expected to do much of that. His rebounds per minutes is a very solid stat though

He's certainly improved this year in areas other than scoring. His shooting form isn't really that bad. I think he just needs to hit several in order to elevate his confidence. If he keeps working hard he will be a solid contributor if not a star.

They damn near scored 150 one game

Well then. Struggling with their half court offense won't seem to be an issue with TN.

I do think that TN will be comfortable with a faster pace (not frantic though). Staying out of foul trouble will be huge with the shorter bench though. How deep do we go now? 10?

Mostella starting in place of hubbs and Barnes expects hubbs to play before Christmas

Per Rucker

Mostella starting in place of hubbs and Barnes expects hubbs to play before Christmas

Per Rucker

I read somewhere a few days ago that Hubbs might miss three games.

If Mostella starts, that means the bench will be Alexander, Admiral, Kasongo, and Phillips. Four new guys is the bench. The emergency reserves are two walk ons slightly over 6' tall.

He's certainly improved this year in areas other than scoring. His shooting form isn't really that bad. I think he just needs to hit several in order to elevate his confidence. If he keeps working hard he will be a solid contributor if not a star.

If Barnes is working with Mostella on his shooting technique the way he worked with Punter, then we should see an improvement. But if Mostella isn't a gym rat like Punter then we may not. Outside of practice and academics you gotta put your time in to develop your game.

VN Store

Back