How would you feel about not playing Alabama every year?

I want us to play bama, not playing them sends a signal, we can never beat them. We can, we are only a good qb away from being very competitive with them now.
That is wildly inaccurate. They have first rounders all over the field and we maybe have 3 or 4 draft picks on the entire team. We are not "a good qb away from being very competitive" Also the series is 58-37 Alabama, its not even a rivalry at this point.

I prefer us and Vandy to join the ACC. That way we would come back rapidly and I would get to see a ton of games lol

I prefer us and Vandy to join the ACC. That way we would come back rapidly and I would get to see a ton of games lol
No.

I’m sorry.

I can slink away from playing Bama every year, but the ACC??

Boo this man!!

edit to add: I do live in ACC land, so I can understand that part, but joining the ACC??? Booooo!!!

If the SEC wants to continue with a East and West Divisions then maybe the time is right to have a system of rotating none Division teams. We have been at a disadvantage for several years now when it comes to our on Division. I would hate to lose them from a Tradition stand point but the Tradition of getting our hats handed to us and the fact that it appears the Tradition of having a relevant contender is not longer a priority why not change with the times.

Bring Auburn to the East and move Missouri to the West. Let Auburn be the permanent cross division to Alabama instead of us.

Reactions: VolNExile
If the SEC wants to continue with a East and West Divisions then maybe the time is right to have a system of rotating none Division teams. We have been at a disadvantage for several years now when it comes to our on Division. I would hate to lose them from a Tradition stand point but the Tradition of getting our hats handed to us and the fact that it appears the Tradition of having a relevant contender is not longer a priority why not change with the times.

How has UT been at a disadvantage? Over the past 13 years since UT last went to Atlanta, they could have beaten Bama every single year and still wouldn't have won the East a single time.

Bama is not UT's problem. The East is UT's problem.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
dread playing ' em in anything, always buoyed by beating them.

will get to all the posts here later, but i havent found the stomach to read tide-vol basketball thread

Since 2008 (the year after making the SEC title game), Tennessee is below .500 at 78-82.

The problem isn’t Bama

Since 2008 (the year after making the SEC title game), Tennessee is below .500 at 78-82.

The problem isn’t Bama

And only what...3 of those 78 are against the Big 3? Kiffin beat Georgia, Butch beat Georgia, Butch beat Florida, and that's it, right? Ouch.

How has UT been at a disadvantage? Over the past 13 years since UT last went to Atlanta, they could have beaten Bama every single year and still wouldn't have won the East a single time.

Bama is not UT's problem. The East is UT's problem.

Let Ga. and Fla. play them every year and then pick up AUB, LSU and TAM on rotating schedule and see how that effects their out look. I am thrilled we aren't in the West.

If I had an annual tradition that involved an unmerciful beatdown along with its accompanying humiliation while being played out before a national audience, I believe I would rethink that tradition. Honestly, what's the upside anymore? At this point, there is only one SEC opponent that I confidently believe the Vols can defeat next year and with a new head coach at the helm in Nashville, I am not even sure about that game. Watching TN football anymore puts me in mind of a story I heard about a man who kept hitting himself in the head with a hammer. When somebody asked him why he did it, he responded by saying, "Because it feels so good when I stop." Watching TN football these last few years has turned me into a basketball fan. At least when I watch TN bb, I can be optimistic, and realistic, in expecting a favorable outcome (unless, of course, the opponent is Bama...man, do they look good--my choice at this point for SEC champs). To rephrase the slogan that is used to promote the SEC: it just doesn't mean as much anymore. And that's saying a lot for someone who has been following the BO since the late 50s. Won't be long before I'll be unable to remember when a trip to Neyland was something other teams used to dread!

Reactions: VolNExile
The Third Saturday in October is tradition. Just like the Vandy and Kentucky games. Alabama is a rivalry that should be played every single season.

Did anyone see Vandy and Kentucky fleeing from us all those years we were beating them? One are one great head coach away from being able to be competitive with Bama once again. We even came close to beating them the year Kiffin was our head coach and in 2015 under Butch.

Everything runs in cycles. What goes up must come down. And vice versa. Bama will not always be what they are, and if I was a Bama fan, I'd be savoring every second of this, because when Saban retires, it'll be over soon after.

I am a super tradition guy. But I am tired of getting killed every year and knowing when the Third Saturday in October arrives, we have no chance. So it wouldn't be the end of the world to play them every other year.

When I think of great rivalries, I don't think of Tennessee and Bama. Great rivalries go beyond 1 sport. When I think of great rivalries, I think of

Bama/Auburn
Army/Navy
Duke/North Carolina
Southern Cal/UCLA
Neb/OKLA before Nebraska left the conference
Kansas/Kansas State
Indiana/Purdue

Do the Lady Vols consider Bama as our main rival?
Do Bama fans consider us their main rival or Auburn? I know ESPN had a 30 for 30 talking about the Bama/Auburn rivalry, no mention of Tennessee. I wonder if Bama thinks of us as a more important rival than LSU or Georgia or anyone else?

hopefully they restructure the SEC schedule so UT can get easier permanent opponents like miss state or auburn. Alabama will be dominating the country and winning more titles for a long time, even after nick retires in 7-10 years.

Even with the way the series has been going, I can't stand the thought of not playing Alabama every year.

I'm surprised that a lot of the UT fans I work with are ready to throw in the towel and would like to see a different West opponent.

Your thoughts?

As the only team in the East that has Bama as a permanent opponent, it is a huge competitive disadvantage to UT. Not just in terms of wins and losses, but the ability to attract the "proven" coach everybody on here wants to hire. I think there should be no more permanent cross-division opponents. All teams would rotate opponents from the other division. Things need to evolve. JMHO.

Playing Alabama every year or not is not the reason we are/aren't/will/won't be on track. It's one game. One game. If we win or lose that one game, at least where we are now, is not going to make or break the season, nor the program. To be clear, I say play the game, because tradition matters.

The bigger issue is not to play or not to play, it is getting back to where we are beating the teams we're supposed to beat, and being competitive against our main three rivals ... then you look at the next step, which is beating the brakes off them like we used to (UF excluded).

Reactions: 99gator

VN Store

Back