How would you feel about not playing Alabama every year?

I don't really understand the mindset of not wanting to play Alabama every year. I mean first, there's the tradition (and I'm in the camp of still being bummed that we don't play Auburn every year, so there's that). But just as a practical matter, if you only want to win 6 games a year and go to a bowl, we can do that with Alabama on the schedule; and if you want to play at a conference or national championship level, you do that by beating Alabama. So in my mind there's really not much downside. And finally, there's no greater joy as a Vol fan than beating Alabama, so why would we want to rob ourselves of that possibility (slim though it sometimes is) every year? GO VOLS, I HATE ALABAMA!

Even with the way the series has been going, I can't stand the thought of not playing Alabama every year.

I'm surprised that a lot of the UT fans I work with are ready to throw in the towel and would like to see a different West opponent.

Your thoughts?
When TX and OKla join the SEC they may move Alabama and Auburn to the East. Then we don't have to worry about opting out lol. Personally I would hate it. To be the best you have to compete against the best. It looks like we had 6 good teams on the schedule this year and 6 bad teams. That seems about fair to me.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Even with the way the series has been going, I can't stand the thought of not playing Alabama every year.

I'm surprised that a lot of the UT fans I work with are ready to throw in the towel and would like to see a different West opponent.

Your thoughts?
Nah, man. It's going to be so much sweeter when Hype pulls this all together, and Saban retires after a loss or two.

Reactions: A.J.
Well I certainly don’t want to play them every year.

I get cramps going to the mailbox, they might literally kill me.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Nobody has a answer for that as long as Saban is there I guess the hope is once he leaves they slide back some
I agree. I just don’t see anyone beating them consistently as long as Saban is there. I’m hoping CJH is the coach we’ve been looking for after suffering through the 3 or 4 clowns that came before him. Hopefully In 2-3 years he has the program where we need to be, and maybe by that time, Saban is ready to retire, and we will be going up as Alabama is starting to go down. I just REALLY want to see all these spoiled/entitled Alabama fans and the media that love them like Paul Finebaum knocked down a few notches. The SEC network love affair with them makes a lot of the shows and games almost unwatchable.

Reactions: House of Neyland
I’ve been saying for a while that Tennessee should ditch the SEC and join the ACC as soon as possible. The balance of power right now is so heavily weighted toward the top 3-4 elites in the SEC that it is killing college football.

That any college team would be traveling anything over 400 miles for a conference game is absurd.
Wouldn't traveling to Pitt, Miami, Syracuse, and Boston College be over 400 miles? Maybe some fans would like us moving to the Southern Atlantic Conference?

As the only team in the East that has Bama as a permanent opponent, it is a huge competitive disadvantage to UT. Not just in terms of wins and losses, but the ability to attract the "proven" coach everybody on here wants to hire. I think there should be no more permanent cross-division opponents. All teams would rotate opponents from the other division. Things need to evolve. JMHO.
Maybe when Okla and TX join the SEC, Alabama and Auburn will move to the East and the whining will stop.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
The only thing I don’t like about the way things currently are is that if Tennessee were to win the east and make it to the SEC champ game and then play for a NC there is a strong chance they would have to beat Alabama twice in a season. That’s asking a lot of any program.
I would love to cross that bridge when we get there. When is the last time we won the SEC East?

I may have the solution. Let's drop Bama, FL, and GA from the schedule and play Vandy, Mizzou, KY, and SC twice each year! Also put in Bowling Green, TN Tech, Akron, and UTC as permanent OOC games. Wonder what Gen Neyland would think about these fans complaining about playing Bama?

Not only we must keep playing Bama but I wish they could find a way where we play Auburn every year like we used too. Bama game in addition to UGA and UF are the main reason to follow Tennesee football (I would certainly not watch any longer if they take any of those off our annual schedule - if we go undefeated and not beat those teams it would mean nothing to me).
Not following you. We would have to beat some of those teams to win the SEC. If, in a future alignment, we don’t see them every year we’d still have to play the best team in another division. We would still have to beat the top teams in the country to go undefeated in the CFP.

I’d be pretty bought in to a team that went undefeated!!!!

Seems like the most widely discussed realignment of the SEC would create four "pods" of four teams each. The conference schedule would be expanded to nine game. You play the three other teams in your pod each season along with half of the other twelve teams. So you play everyone in the conference in two years. This would replace the current east/west alignment. Also eliminates the traditional opponent you play each season.

If that is adopted, one logical alignment for a pod would be Bama, Auburn, UTn, and Vandy. That would give you both Bama and Auburn each year but UGa and Fl and ever body only else ever other year.

Drop Bama like a hot potato. It is not a rivalry anymore. It has been a beat down for the last 15 years. My grandson was 3 years old the last time we beat them.
He just got out of boot camp at 18. Why do you think UF and UGA do not play them every year? Because they know it is an SEC loss!

What year? 2025- 2026 ? That would be 19/20 years of losing to Bama.
Probably when Saban retires. UT doesn't quit like a little biotch. Did Kentucky want to quit our series when we ran off so many in a row? Do we have less grit than Kentucky? Besides, what has it really cost us? That's our 3rd conference loss. We are probably going to end up with four or five conference losses. Playing Bama hasn't cost us a single trip to Atlanta since the streak began.

Reactions: bamawriter
How would you feel about not playing Alabama every year?

Uh...nope...believe it or not...traditions MEAN something.
That being said if Bama comes over to the East with Tx/OK coming in and the pain can be spread evenly with UF and UGA, it would make me feel better about the disparity

TN should always play Bama & Georgia every year,
this series is streaky, just seem this one is alot longer than it should be.

VN Store

Back