How old were you...

I was 25 and watched it at my sister's house. I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. My son was five at the time and is a huge Vols fan who posts here frequently. If we ever win another in my lifetime I am going to lose my mind and run around my neighborhood in my underwear with a bottle of gentleman Jack.

I was 38 and living in London. Wife and I stayed up all night listening to the Livestream broadcast from WIVK over our computer with a dial-up modem. Thankfully the stream never dropped out, but I did have to remember to do something on the computer every 15 minutes or so to keep it from going to sleep. Can't remember if I went to work later that day or not, but was on cloud nine for several weeks after that. My parents recorded the TV broadcasts and mailed them to us a few weeks later. It was fun "watching" the game already knowing what the outcome would be. The only disgusting part was enduring the Keith Jackson love fest for the last quarter and a half since it was "his last game." We all know how long that lasted.

I was 9, watching with my dad. I remember him talking about how “Field Goal Phil” better put FSU away and not let them hang around. My dad looks back fondly on that era now, but he was perpetually frustrated with Fulmer when I was a kid.

My biggest memory from that season was being mad that my dad made me kiss the Syracuse game because he said it wouldn’t be close and we’d kill them. He wanted to go buy a new 4-wheeler that day. So I watched the 4th quarter on a 12in black and white screen in an Arctic Cat dealership in Tazwell mad as a hornet because it was such a close game.

when we won the championship in 98? Where were you?
Bored, and since we're waiting for our bowl game, I figured how about story time.
I was 13 and watched it with my dad, grandma, and little brother. My dad and I jumped up and down for joy. We we're on the edges of our seats the entire game. I remember Fulmer's and Tee's post game interview so vividly. I'll never forget that magical feeling. My does time go by so fast.
-3 Years Old

Reactions: PhoenixAZVol
I was 25, a policeman in Lebanon, Tennessee. The day after the win, we raised the Power T flag up, out front of the P.D., in place of the state flag, just under Old Glory! Left it up a week or so, then people inevitably complained. Chief said F~em!, and we left it up a couple more weeks.

I was 14. My parents went to the game and left me with the grandparents. I will never forgive them... 😂

27, living in Missouri. We moved there from Tennessee in 97. There were no other Vol fans around so I watched it by myself. My wife checked out early and went to bed. Was very excited for the win. I still have my National Championship Ballcap and t-shirt. Also have the Sports Illustrated issue with the Vols on the cover after the big win. Kind of disappointed I didn't really have anyone to celebrate with as no one else cared but me. My oldest daughter wouldn't come into the world for another 3 years. She is now a senior in high school and will ironically attend FSU in the fall.

Just turned 15, was a freshmen in high school. Watched it at my parents house in Kingsport with my dad and my brothers. We went crazy when peerless caught the bomb that sealed it.

In my parents farm home in Rutledge TN. Listening to the radio and watching a small box tv in my room.

We didn’t have to work that night and I was dancing and laughing as we beat our second Florida team of the season.

37 with 1st Cav in Bosnia. Didn't get to see a single game that year, but read about them in Stars and Stripes. :cool:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: gule
I was 18 and a senior in hs, watched it with my dad and uncle. My dad was the biggest ut fan and he has since passed away but I will never forget that memory.

I was 22 and was in the Army at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. Watched the game in my room with friends to include one other huge Vol fan I had grown up with. After the game we went to a hole in the wall bar that was owned by a Vol to celebrate. Best part of that season for me was I met my wife after Clint Stoerner fumbled, that is a story for another day but if he does not fumble and we do not win then I would not have gone out that night and met my wife. We have been married now for 17 years and have three boys. All five of us will be at the Gator Bowl tomorrow. Go Vols!

Reactions: gule
when we won the championship in 98? Where were you?
Bored, and since we're waiting for our bowl game, I figured how about story time.
I was 13 and watched it with my dad, grandma, and little brother. My dad and I jumped up and down for joy. We we're on the edges of our seats the entire game. I remember Fulmer's and Tee's post game interview so vividly. I'll never forget that magical feeling. My does time go by so fast.
I was only 16 but went to the Houston and Arkansas games that year. They are great memories.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

VN Store

Back