How many of us have donated to Spyre?

How many of us donate to Spyre?

• I do I do!

Votes: 75 23.9%
  • Not yet...

Votes: 239 76.1%

• Total voters
I can understand why a fan may not want to give to the NIL or might not be financial able to and that is okay.

But then I don’t think you can complain about poor recruiting if you are not financial contributing to SPYRE or some other NIL. I guess you can complain about not spending money wisely if we get beat by schools with lower NIL spending than us. (Assuming you know how much NIL money is being spent on each program at each school.)

I'd say these "contracts" are year to year, similar to scholarships. If Spyre pays a kid for one year's worth of services and that kid gives them one year, then that is a mutually fair, agreed upon transaction even if the kid decides to leave and go elsewhere. I doubt Spyre is going to hand over an incoming freshman millions of dollars up front like he's just won the Publishers Clearinghouse.

Also if they're smart, Spyre structures these contracts to be VERY incentive based. Like bonuses to be paid for staying at least 3 years, bonuses for keeping your nose clean and staying out of legal trouble, bonuses for graduating, on field performance bonuses, etc.

that type contract is not legal under Tennessee NIL law that was passed and is documented on the Sprye site. Check bullet 1

Tennessee NIL Law for NCAA - Spry

Spyre will not waste? Guarantee someone is pocketing off people giving them their money. What percentage goes to athlete and what percentage does spyre keep? My friend and I almost started something like this a year ago. But we thought done be a private business we could be a non profit to fight some cause but really it’s to get athletes. Then big donors could donate for the tax write off and all people could donate really for the “cause”. We sign up athletes to contracts. But we were doing it so we could make bank. We love tn and all but we knew we could make huge money on it if it took off. So I can see spyre doing exactly what we said we would do. Sign a huge name to show people look what we can do, then people donate more. They don’t care after that bc we got the huge name. People that run spyre make bank.
I never said they won't. What I find interesting is people who say no way to Spyre but also kept donating while the utad paid off Fulmer, Dooley, Butch, Pruitt, and Fulmer. I can accept a $50k mistake more than the tens of millions

Reactions: BigSteve09
I never said they won't. What I find interesting is people who say no way to Spyre but also kept donating while the utad paid off Fulmer, Dooley, Butch, Pruitt, and Fulmer. I can accept a $50k mistake more than the tens of millions
Well that’s a big deal to people. When you take someone’s money and they think it’s going to kids and it’s going to a middle aged white guy. He has 3 million to play with, then decides he will keep half for himself.

Well that’s a big deal to people. When you take someone’s money and they think it’s going to kids and it’s going to a middle aged white guy. He has 3 million to play with, then decides he will keep half for himself.
Spyre says 90% guess to athletes. Can you show where that's not happening? It seems you're just making up stuff at this point.

I've watched my money be flushed by the utad when they said they would hire a competent coach. Much of that money went to an old, rich, white guy. The rest went to other middle aged white guys.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
Spyre says 90% guess to athletes. Can you show where that's not happening? It seems you're just making up stuff at this point.

I've watched my money be flushed by the utad when they said they would hire a competent coach. Much of that money went to an old, rich, white guy. The rest went to other middle aged white guys.
Of course I’m making up numbers, cause I have a job and a family and don’t spend time worrying about other folks or their choices. I’m good letting the elite of society spend their play money. Im good going to games when I feel like it. I’m a huge Tennessee fan but I’m gonna support the way I always have. Won’t rip people for helping tn the way they feel they should. I’ve not ripped you man but I can take it. Spyre folks will still make tons of bank off peoples money doing absolutely very little. Like I said I wanted to do it a year ago for the main reason is I could do very little and make a lot of money. But I’ve never chosen that path and apparently I like what I do for a living.

Reactions: txbo
Spyre will not waste? Guarantee someone is pocketing off people giving them their money. What percentage goes to athlete and what percentage does spyre keep? My friend and I almost started something like this a year ago. But we thought done be a private business we could be a non profit to fight some cause but really it’s to get athletes. Then big donors could donate for the tax write off and all people could donate really for the “cause”. We sign up athletes to contracts. But we were doing it so we could make bank. We love tn and all but we knew we could make huge money on it if it took off. So I can see spyre doing exactly what we said we would do. Sign a huge name to show people look what we can do, then people donate more. They don’t care after that bc we got the huge name. People that run spyre make bank.
They are very transparent for every dollar donated .90 goes to athletes .10 covers their expenses.

98% of our fans have enough money to donate at least $5 a month which is the entry plan.If EVERYONE did at least that we’d have about $60MM (assuming there are about 1,000,000 engaged TN fans nation wide.) every year for recruits and current players.

It’s not close to an individual sacrifice. And if you don’t think it’s your responsibility then you aren’t really invested and don’t have a right to say a word when we lose or dont get a recruit. Oh and if you rebuttal BUT i give to the UT Fund or buy seasons tickets ect…well as Austin Price now says “talent over toilets if you want to win”. This is the best place you can put your Tn money investment for a return in improving our team.
Don’t be a contrarian and fight it. This IS the future and the sooner all of you stubborn 75% who haven’t started donating yet do, the further we fall behind.
$5 a month!! It’s not a big ask! Sign up right now!

that type contract is not legal under Tennessee NIL law that was passed and is documented on the Sprye site. Check bullet 1

Tennessee NIL Law for NCAA - Spry

Seems odd to me that the law wouldn't go further to protect the entity that's actually taking all the financial risk here. It's outrageous to me to make incentive-based contracts illegal. As long as both parties understand the expectations and agree to the terms, why on earth should the state regulate that?

They are very transparent for every dollar donated .90 goes to athletes .10 covers their expenses.

98% of our fans have enough money to donate at least $5 a month which is the entry plan.If EVERYONE did at least that we’d have about $60MM (assuming there are about 1,000,000 engaged TN fans nation wide.) every year for recruits and current players.

It’s not close to an individual sacrifice. And if you don’t think it’s your responsibility then you really invested and don’t have a right to say a word when we lose or dont get a recruit. Oh and if you rebuttal BUT i give to the UT Fund or buy seasons tickets ect…well as Austin Price now says “talent over toilets if you want to win”. This is the best place you can put your Tn money investment for a return in improving our team.
Don’t be a contrarian and fight it. This IS the future and the sooner all of you stubborn 75% who haven’t started donating yet do, the further we fall behind.
$5 a month!! It’s not a big ask! Sign up right now!
No one can tell me how to spend my money. Like I’m not telling people what to do with their money. The topic is who has given to spyre. So me giving why I haven’t given my money I work for is not being contrarian, it’s responding to the topic. You don’t like me telling you why my family gets my money. I just paid for a major event that effected my family and other kids to be able to have a certain opportunity. So yeah, 5 bucks to me is a big deal. My 5 and a lot more went to my family and kids in need. So I’m gonna let the other folks who want to give their money to high school kids do that if they so choose. I won’t rip them either. And yeah spyre will make a killing off people. If they bring in that 60 mill then they make 6 million doing nothing but offering pre written contracts to 18 year olds.

No one can tell me how to spend my money. Like I’m not telling people what to do with their money. The topic is who has given to spyre. So me giving why I haven’t given my money I work for is not being contrarian, it’s responding to the topic. You don’t like me telling you why my family gets my money. I just paid for a major event that effected my family and other kids to be able to have a certain opportunity. So yeah, 5 bucks to me is a big deal. My 5 and a lot more went to my family and kids in need. So I’m gonna let the other folks who want to give their money to high school kids do that if they so choose. I won’t rip them either. And yeah spyre will make a killing off people. If they bring in that 60 mill then they make 6 million doing nothing but offering pre written contracts to 18 year olds.
They are running a business, putting on events, paying salaries, they deserve a cut.
Seems to me you are being contrarian just to be. If you truly can’t afford $5 a month then I apologize and wish you well.

Reactions: BigSteve09
They are running a business, putting on events, paying salaries, they deserve a cut.
Seems to me you are being contrarian just to be. If you truly can’t afford $5 a month then I apologize and wish you well.
You don’t get to run my family budget sir. You don’t control how threads are ran. I answered the thread topic. Stayed on topic. You’re opinion is yours and mine is mine. If you’re ok they make a fair wage doing so much, then I’m entitled to say they are essentially an agent doing the same thing as Scott boras for professional athletes. Technically they should transition to being an agency for athletes so they can sign them post college and continue making money off them post college.

I've never donated money to a for-profit business and I can't say the spirit is moving me to change that now. As someone who has been to every home game since 2019, it's silly to me that money can go to a new juice station or line the pockets of some administrator, but when it comes to labor costs... Well that has to come from the donation plate. That's a silly, broken system I'm not interested in buying into. Considering these collectives aren't required to show you jack about how they are spending your money, I fully expect one or more of these collectives to get caught absolutely fleecing a fanbase, with pennies going to what they claim and the rest going to an "agent's" bank account.

I don't fault anyone for donating. More power to you. If it actually does lead to the restoration of UT football, you'll have yourselves to thank. But.. I don't say this to be a dickhead or anything like that... But every game we lose this year, next year, and the year after that, I will tell myself "At least I'm not paying a subscription for that". Just one man's thoughts.

I've never donated money to a for-profit business and I can't say the spirit is moving me to change that now. As someone who has been to every home game since 2019, it's silly to me that money can go to a new juice station or line the pockets of some administrator, but when it comes to labor costs... Well that has to come from the donation plate. That's a silly, broken system I'm not interested in buying into. Considering these collectives aren't required to show you jack about how they are spending your money, I fully expect one or more of these collectives to get caught absolutely fleecing a fanbase, with pennies going to what they claim and the rest going to an "agent's" bank account.

I don't fault anyone for donating. More power to you. If it actually does lead to the restoration of UT football, you'll have yourselves to thank. But.. I don't say this to be a dickhead or anything like that... But every game we lose this year, next year, and the year after that, I will tell myself "At least I'm not paying a subscription for that". Just one man's thoughts.
Yes because you having not paid $60 a year is going to really make you feel better lol. Once again if everyone like you changed your contrarian, old school opinion and donated $5 a month we’d have the most powerful NIL fund in the game. Instead we are going to be just an above average one and you’ll complain when we don’t land talent over UGA and Bama and want to fire our coaches in four years.

Reactions: TheMagnificantOne
Yes because you having not paid $60 a year is going to really make you feel better lol. Once again if everyone like you changed your contrarian, old school opinion and donated $5 a month we’d have the most powerful NIL fund in the game. Instead we are going to be just an above average one and you’ll complain when we don’t land talent over UGA and Bama and want to fire our coaches in four years.
You can't tell people how they should spend their money dude. Tennessee fan or not. That is not in your control and it shouldnt be. Its a donation

Reactions: txbo
In this thread, people asked a yes or no question, but no, is not an allowable answer and we’re bashing our own for it.

Fan donations to Spyre mean very little in the overall scheme. It might make you feel good, but it’s a drop in the bucket. We’re not signing anyone based on the money fans donate.

I recently read up on some collectives, TN has raised about $300k from their fans. Spyre keeps $30k, and $270k is used for events, and giving a little to the everyday player.

We paid Nico $375k already, and that’s not even his annual pay once he signs.

Who paid the $375k, because it surely wasn’t the average fan. It’s our high money boosters. The collectives are shady in my opinion, and pretty soon we’re gonna start seeing issues with a lot of collectives. They’ve already been categorized as Boosters per the NCAA and are not allowed to have any contact with recruits.

Yes... Yes.. I've heard this huckster sales pitch for NIL, just like I've heard it from the excon selling me magazines on my porch. I spend more on UT sports than 95% of Vol fans already, so I just really don't care about the "more money spent, the bigger a fan you are" stuff. Even if your math checked out, which is doesn't, reducing college athletics down to a fundraiser contest between fanbases is dumb.

I'm sure when we don't land talent and I blame the coaches, you'll blame me, and we'll go from there. The day we lose to Bama and the official response from the AD is "Well the fans didn't give enough money to win" is the day I guess I'll start watching the NFL exclusively.

Seems odd to me that the law wouldn't go further to protect the entity that's actually taking all the financial risk here. It's outrageous to me to make incentive-based contracts illegal. As long as both parties understand the expectations and agree to the terms, why on earth should the state regulate that?

The attempt I believe is to maintain college as an amateur environment. Likely it is only a matter of time until that attempt fails.

Once student-athletes are no longer student-athletes you are likely to see universities start to wind down financial support to athletics. Not sure how long that would take but why would universities field athletic teams where the athletes had no incentive to be students? Where they are basically semi-professional or professional? Getting college players into 6 figure deals due to their athletic abilities is getting away from amateurism IMO.

Many of the academic leaders are going to look at that and want no part of it.

Just my opinion but I believe college athletics is headed toward a demise. Might be why rumors of Sankey thinking SEC needs to go on its own and have their own national championships. He might be trying to save the college game or realizes its a huge money maker as a professional endeavor.. Next several years could be interesting.

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back