How long is Pruitt’s leash ?

I meant on paper, if you believe recruiting rankings over the last 4-5 years. On the field, you are correct, we certainly don't perform better than 9 of our opponents.

I brought that up because I've seen many places (both here on VN and from national media types) that Tennessee is struggling because of a "lack of talent." Every time I hear that, my next thought is "Well, relative to who?" Lack of talent explains why we aren't competitive with Georgia, Alabama, and you can argue Florida.

It doesn't explain why we lost to Georgia St, BYU, have lost 5 of the last 7 to Vanderbilt, and have consistently lost to teams like South Carolina and Mizzou over the last several years. Tennessee has more talent on the field than all of those schools. I totally agree that we've lost LOS battles when we play those schools, but my question then is "Why?" We didn't lose a LOS battle with Georgia St because Georgia St's lines are more talented.

You nailed it. Folks aren’t peeved about losing to Fla, Ga and Ala at this point. Folks are peeved because he can’t beat non-Power 5 teams.

If recruiting doesn't translate to wins, then you either:

a) aren't recruiting well
b) aren't scouting well
c) aren't practicing/developing players well, or
d) are a terrible coach in-game.

No matter which of these choices is true, they are all cause for a coach to no longer be employed by the University of Tennessee

It amazes me how many people are so bitter they want us to lose to validate their wish for him to be fired rather than be happy if he improves greatly over the next few years.

People hate Jeremy Pruitt more than they support/love Tennessee...... It is that simple.

Now I don’t know if I completely agree with you guys here, but it’s pretty close. There’s a certain group of about 4 or 5 posters that take every opportunity to pile on . It gets old. They will very easily recognize who we are referring to, it’s not difficult to do. They may not want us to lose to support their constant arguments, but it can easily be construed that way. Just the constant nitpicking stuff that’s unnecessary is tiresome.

All that said, I’m not here sitting saying we shouldn’t be critical of our program, but the overwhelming amount of times people are just looking for the next “I told ya so” moments is ridiculous.

Reactions: tennrich1
If recruiting doesn't translate to wins, then you either:

a) aren't recruiting well
b) aren't scouting well
c) aren't practicing/developing players well, or
d) are a terrible coach in-game.

No matter which of these choices is true, they are all cause for a coach to no longer be employed by the University of Tennessee
Oftentimes it's a combo of C and D. If you recruit a bunch of 4 and 5 stars over a number of years (not talking about a single player in a single year), and most of them bust, that's on the coach. You didn't just happen to get unlucky and end up with all the busts while all the other schools got the 4s and 5s who were properly rated.

In the case of someone like Butch, I think it was B, C, and D. I think those guys he was recruiting actually really were talented. If they chose schools other than Tennessee, they would have had success (and many did after leaving). He was a star chaser...he did sign talented players, but they didn't fit his system (poor scouting) and he definitely didn't develop them.

don't know about "we" but I'm giving him a full 6 years...then I'll see...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT MISS ST!

If Pruitt still hasn’t made a bowl game by the 2021 season but is still recruiting decently how much longer should we give him to get it turned around I’ve heard some fans say he needs 5 to 6 seasons minimum.
Depends on who's calling the shots. If it's the sunshine Pumpers he's probably safe until 2040 regardless whether he wins a game.. I also don't see Fulmer ever firing the guy because that would mean he would be admitting to making a mistake. He doesn't do that. So unless the administration starts caring about winning the sunshine Pumpers will all be happy on here for years to come. I think his leash is pretty long sadly.

don't know about "we" but I'm giving him a full 6 years...then I'll see...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT MISS ST!

77AC83C2-0618-483C-A07D-4ECC36FA443D.jpeg
I don’t know how you can say that unequivocally. I have to think that consecutive 8+ loss seasons would change that perspective.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
This sort of topic ....just makes me.....well.......queezy.......I mean...

Some things between a man and his wife is best left in the bedroom right??...

....wait what?

The leash should be 7 games then evaluate at the end of this year, but he’ll probably get year 3.

He’s in over his head, doesn’t mean I think you fire him right now, but I do think this season results merits a conversation about where we’re going.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Remember boy butch? As long as he was a "super duper, none better, greatest of all time" recruiter, he got an extension and a raise! Now, if we have learned anything from the boy butch years, winning should be far more important than "building brick by brick- no matter how long it takes", GS/BYU type -L- should never happen again. Good news, we have some real cupcakes next year, but we have to play some of those pesky SEC teams....

Butch went bowling in second year, went 8-4 with one score loss to Alabama and OT loss to playoff Oklahoma in third year, Top 10 ranking in 4th year .. we still fired him in 5th .... Butch barely kept in job by going 9-4 two years in a row .. Pruitt isn't going bowling this year and aint going 9-4 next. I think the leash should not exist. We should have fired Butch after second 9-4 year with all that talent .. we should fire Pruitt end of the season.

November 2021 he will either be let go or given an extension. If next year we win 3 or less he may be gone by the end of 2020. If TN wins 6 or more in 2021 he will be given an extension. If TN wins 4 or less in 2021 he will be let go. If he wins 5 in 2021 I think it will depend on several factors such as were there injuries to key players, recruiting scene, etc..

He'll be let go in December 2020 after three seasons if 2020 is like 2019.
I agree, but it’s possible that the team is going to play much better for the rest of this year because Pruitt finally decided to play a QB who can score points. Maurer may have the dubious distinction of being the one who saves Pruitt’s job.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I don't see how he survives 3-9 or 2-10. That's worst in program history. They are already having trouble selling tickets, particularly season tickets tied to donations, and the stadium renovation seems to be postponed indefinitely. A losing season this year is not going to improve anything financially. The bean counters are trying to strike the balance even now. How much apathy can they afford before change is necessary? That's what this is about now. If there was no buyout, Pruitt would be fired after the Alabama game this year.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The leash should be 7 games then evaluate at the end of this year, but he’ll probably get year 3.

He’s in over his head, doesn’t mean I think you fire him right now, but I do think this season results merits a conversation about where we’re going.

a conversation?

If Pruitt still hasn’t made a bowl game by the 2021 season but is still recruiting decently how much longer should we give him to get it turned around I’ve heard some fans say he needs 5 to 6 seasons minimum.
Long enough that it’s not worth discussing this year. For the record, I think we get at least 5 wins this year. We will be a mid-level SEC team next year - 7 wins and a bowl. I am excited about what our current freshmen and sophomores will be doing in the 2021 season and believe we will ultimately be happy for sticking with Pruitt.

Reactions: Lurker
He gets next year . Maybe 1-11 would bounce him but that might be the exception

I just hope they wait till after the 2021 season to even think about a raise or extension. My guess is he wins 6 next year and they give him a 5 year extension with a few more mill on his buy out.

And I think you are right, but I would not give him a big buyout, give the extension but small buyout. If he don't take it don't give extension. I just don't see these big buyouts to pay someone who gets fired for not doing a good job and paying them for it.

hardly but he’s making it easier.

I certainly don't hate Pruitt. I am still on board with him.. Don't understand why it took him so long to see jg wasn't going to get the job done, but other than that, I think he is doing a pretty good job minus the first game. I think we would have won the first 3 games if Maurer had been prepared in the off season to take over, and may could have beat Fla also. But just my opinon, I am still on board with Pruitt.

I don't see how he survives 3-9 or 2-10. That's worst in program history. They are already having trouble selling tickets, particularly season tickets tied to donations, and the stadium renovation seems to be postponed indefinitely. A losing season this year is not going to improve anything financially. The bean counters are trying to strike the balance even now. How much apathy can they afford before change is necessary? That's what this is about now. If there was no buyout, Pruitt would be fired after the Alabama game this year.

If he was 5-0 right now we wouldn't need to fire him after Alabama.

Reactions: I40flyer
So wrong and misguided. Butch had the only 8+ win seasons (in fact they were 9-win seasons) in the past decade+. He also went to three bowl games and won all three. That is why he got extended.
And he did it with the players HE (boy butch) recruited!!! Thanks for guiding me along.

Reactions: EZE

VN Store

Back