How long is Pruitt’s leash ?

If Pruitt still hasn’t made a bowl game by the 2021 season but is still recruiting decently how much longer should we give him to get it turned around I’ve heard some fans say he needs 5 to 6 seasons minimum.
It depends on what exactly is meant by "get it turned around."

If that means competing for East titles, that is going to take 5+ years. If that means making a bowl game, he should have been able to do that this year, but it is going to be exceedingly difficult to make a bowl given we've already lost to Georgia St and BYU. This team is more talented on paper than 9 of our opponents. It's equally talented to one (Florida) and far less talented than two (Georgia and Alabama). It sounds funny now, especially to non-Vol fans, but 6-6 should haven been perfectly attainable this year.

Reactions: Volfanjohnny2005
He's got one more year. If there is not significant improvement next season, he's gone. My projection for next year is solid DB's and LB's. O.K. @ DT (lack of depth an issue), but no DE's that can put pressure on QB's (need a player to turn into a monster pass rusher--Harrison, Crouch?). OL will be a strength, RB's will be very good, but weak receiving corp. QB: undetermined (Haven't seen enough of Mauer to make a good evaluation). That, IMO, equates to another disappointing to lackluster season. We might be able to beat Vandy, should be competitive with UK and USC, but no chance against Bama, UGA and UF. Not much reason to be optimistic. My expectation for UT football is to beat Vandy, UK, MO, and USC every year and be competitive with UF, and have a chance to beat UGA. There is no indication that Pruitt will meet those expectations in the near future. I hope that changes.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
He shouldn’t need 5-6 seasons to get to a bowl. I think a bowl game should be a requirement for year 2 and thereafter.

It really shouldn’t be that hard.

Georgia St
BYU
UTC
SC
UAB
Kentucky
Vandy
And even Missouri (if needed)

No reason at all Tennessee shouldn’t have expected a bowl this year with this roster.

Same next year as well. Tennessee adds Oklahoma but also adds Arkansas.

I’m hopeful Tennessee wins at least 6 next year.......but I won’t expect it until Tennessee shows they can beat many of these teams in a season.

Wanna bet? Many will not be satisfied until their preferred coach is hired. It is truly amazing how many qualified athletic directors are on this site.
I am by no means qualified. But I am smart enough to know that if a coach goes 2-10 at UT he has no business being retained. Now we may not go 2-10. But I would bet the under.

It better be longer, a lot longer, than all the idiots on this board want who are calling for him to be fired this year or our program will be set back even further, far further, for years.

Reactions: bpalmer28
IThis team is more talented on paper than 9 of our opponents. It's equally talented to one (Florida) and far less talented than two (Georgia and Alabama). It sounds funny now, especially to non-Vol fans, but 6-6 should haven been perfectly attainable this year.
I'll take issue with that. We are not as good as most of our opposition on the LOS. We get beat consistently on both sides of the LOS. When that happens, your chances of winning are less than 15%. We have won the LOS in only one game this year, and that is the only game we've won.

Next year will be the year that will be the tell all. This year has been bad but somehow or another I think we finish strong, I don't think we'll make a bowl but finish maybe 4-8 or 5-7, which I know isn't strong per se but compared to how we started it'll feel that way. The Ga state and BYU fiascos pretty much killed our chances of a bowl, I just don't feel this team can get on a multi game winning streak

I'll take issue with that. We are not as good as most of our opposition on the LOS. We get beat consistently on both sides of the LOS. When that happens, your chances of winning are less than 15%. We have won the LOS in only one game this year, and that is the only game we've won.
I meant on paper, if you believe recruiting rankings over the last 4-5 years. On the field, you are correct, we certainly don't perform better than 9 of our opponents.

I brought that up because I've seen many places (both here on VN and from national media types) that Tennessee is struggling because of a "lack of talent." Every time I hear that, my next thought is "Well, relative to who?" Lack of talent explains why we aren't competitive with Georgia, Alabama, and you can argue Florida.

It doesn't explain why we lost to Georgia St, BYU, have lost 5 of the last 7 to Vanderbilt, and have consistently lost to teams like South Carolina and Mizzou over the last several years. Tennessee has more talent on the field than all of those schools. I totally agree that we've lost LOS battles when we play those schools, but my question then is "Why?" We didn't lose a LOS battle with Georgia St because Georgia St's lines are more talented.

If Pruitt still hasn’t made a bowl game by the 2021 season but is still recruiting decently how much longer should we give him to get it turned around I’ve heard some fans say he needs 5 to 6 seasons minimum.
Oh boy another Pruitt thread. Aren't we lucky

I’ve heard that if he only wins 2 games this year, then he’ll be gone. No matter what CPF has said.

Is this just another way of saying, how long does CJP have before he is fired...........I will say, I don't remember anyone using the word "leash" before. To answer you question, about as long as it took to screw this program up by the previous Administration and Coaches. A lot of hurdles need to be gotten over before UT's rightful place among college's elite bask in the abyss of the Football Gods.

This year, he’s running free. Next year, we might move to a long tether. The year after that, he will be on a short chain. Just my opinion

I agree with this guy. Greater hater though he may be.

The likelihood that he will still be recruiting well if he doesn't make a bowl next fall is pretty much zero.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Sadly, you may be correct. Remember how long we had the coach worshipping crowd, demanding that we love boy butch, or we weren't real Vol Fans-and if we wanted a new, and better coach, we should find another team to support? I sure do, and I think a lot of other people do to; however, there are those that believe there is some kind of deification that comes with the HC job at UT. They were not swayed, in fact, if they would have had their way, boy butch would still be making Champions of Life at UT.
I corrected my last sentence to what I meant, and make no mistake I believe Pruitt should get the 2 more years. I outlined why, young players playing good, not enough depth etc. These opinions don't mean much around here but I feel strongly not only that he gets a full 4 years but he absolutely should get those 4 years. Actually even then he will have only had 3.5 classes that are his but we should be seeing what hopefully is a good football team at that point. And him staying with bama to the end didn't have nothing to do with that early class, he simply didn't have enough time there given the situation and the new early recruiting rules. GBO!!!!! VFL!!!!!!

I was lurking on miss st boards today. Just curious about their take on the upcoming game. A lot of them seem to think it is a must win game for both coaches. But a lot of them also seem to think that if Pruitt doesn't win this weekend, then he is fired by Monday. Not the case in my opinion, but an interesting perspective from the outside.

It depends on what exactly is meant by "get it turned around."

If that means competing for East titles, that is going to take 5+ years. If that means making a bowl game, he should have been able to do that this year, but it is going to be exceedingly difficult to make a bowl given we've already lost to Georgia St and BYU. This team is more talented on paper than 9 of our opponents. It's equally talented to one (Florida) and far less talented than two (Georgia and Alabama). It sounds funny now, especially to non-Vol fans, but 6-6 should haven been perfectly attainable this year.
That paper don’t mean ish then.

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back