How important is Tennessee football in your life ?

I quit watching games at the start of last year. I will catch the highlights on YouTube. I did not watch the GA State decadal. I was really trying to control by blood pressure. It helps. Last September I dealt with thyroid cancer through November. That really put things into prospective.

Now you may ask why am I reading some of these threads if I am worried about my blood pressure. That is a good point. Grasping for straws I guess.

I saw the Doug Dickey teams. That is what I remember. I also saw Archie Manning beat UT in Oxford by himself. UT ranked #3 in the country at the time. That's where the Manning saga really got started. The dropping a #3 ranking and all.

Seems to be a trend.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I'm still interested in the subject, but I'd be lying if I said it hasn't slipped down the list of things I consider "important" in life. It's not even the result of the last 15 or so years of mediocrity...it's life changes, and stuff, and the redefinition of what (to me) constitutes something "important" and/or a priority. For me, football is entertainment...a game. All that said, I'm looking forward to the day when the sun shines on Smokey's arse (so to speak) once again. Go Vols.

I still have the Power T plate on the front of my truck and in my garage but that's about it.

I really like college FB. especially since the NFL started Kneeling. Don't care for them anymore, I abhor the NBA, I'll always root for the Vols. I want them to get back in the Big Picture.

After say any spiritual beliefs, family & work, where does Tn football rank ?
I check UT sports almost every break and spend a lot of time in the evenings reading about Tennessee football. However, exercise, domestic responsibilities, outdoors and spending my dog are all more important. I just can’t help but love my Vols.

I’ve given up and threw in the towel. From the time I was about 16 to my early 30s my quality of life in the fall depended on how UT did the past Saturday. Then around the Dooley/Jones era for me it just became meh, UT lost what else is new. Last 4 years or so I would watch about 3 hours combined all season. With in my opinion another botched hire I’m just simply done, they don’t deserve my energy or money. I will simply just be a CFB fan and when things get back to normal I am just going to start traveling to different stadiums to enjoy different atmospheres

Last edited:
Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
I keep up with the news, the stats and the games through the internet for both bball and fball. But I don’t watch many games anymore like I used too.

After say any spiritual beliefs, family & work, where does Tn football rank ?

Misery loves company, so for me, it ranks just under my family and just above my job. I just can’t help myself. I still get pissed when we don’t win or win a close one against a team we should boot stomp. I wear orange every football Saturday. I believe the newest coach is “the guy”. I have faith every commit is the missing piece. I simply can’t help myself.
GB🍊

Replies #2 and #3 sum it up perfectly for me. I’m just here for All Things Stocks and the season pick em contest 😂

I was watching the PGA golf this weekend and they brought up the fact that Patrick Reed had spent a lot of time in Fla this winter preparing for the spring swing. He actually went to a private course and got paired up with Nick Saban. I would love to get Saban in a setting like that to just pick his brain and get his thoughts, or ideas on what it would take exactly to turn our program around. Not coach speak, but a real honest opinion on what he would do. I'll bet it would be enlightening.

Borderline nonexistant. I haven’t watched a full game in years, and i’m kindof embarassed that spectator sports fandom was such a central part of my identity for so long. This place is still entertaining as hell during coaching searches though.
Why do you waste time on a Tennessee message board if you don’t even watch the games? Being that your so far above being a fan and all...

As high as it’s ever been. I have too many memories and too much love for Tennessee for any amount of losing or degradation to change how I feel about the VOLS. Maybe our ship is sinking maybe it isn’t, but if it is then let me go down with it

Reactions: Vols&Vettes
Why do you waste time on a Tennessee message board if you don’t even watch the games? Being that your so far above being a fan and all...

There’s a lot more here to talk about than just Vol football. I haven’t watched a Vol game from start to finish in like 5 years, but VN is still probably in my top 5 most visited sites.

These last two years have worn on me I must confess. I've finally bought into the administration could give a rats axx about producing a winner on the football field. They in turn are all about selling the product, marketing, and profiting from the football team. This IMO is why we see the constant recycling of failed coaches every 3 or 4 years which is approaching it's second decade of incompetency. They push out the failed once attendance and sales begin to slip and bring in the new and push this time we really really think this guy will do well, enthusiasm goes back up with sales, and then 3/4 years later, restart the cycle. 15 years this has been going on and we're coming up on 20 years of mediocrity, just like the people running the school likes and wants it. They put bare minimums into the coaching and their staffs, ring the cash registers as long as they can then boot them out for the next recycling con job.

Reactions: knoxvol16

Message boards are more fun than watching our subpar program get executed on Saturdays. I love hearing through the years how Doolander, Band Boy, Beldar Cornbread, and now Hype Boy are gonna lead us to the promised land. Very amusing.

There’s a lot more here to talk about than just Vol football. I haven’t watched a Vol game from start to finish in like 5 years, but VN is still probably in my top 5 most visited sites.
And yet, here you are in a Tennessee Vols Football thread, within the Tennessee Vols Football forum.

I mean, absolutely you do seem to spend most of your time over in the NFL threads.

But still, here you are. So you're clearly checking in from time to time to see what the Vols news is. And beyond that, you're actually engaging in the discussions, hitting "reply" and adding your voice.

That's something above pure apathy. There's still some spark there.

VN Store

Back