How important is Tennessee football in your life ?

Since I started working on Saturday I haven’t missed it that much, even though I work at an ISP that offers cable and have multiple ways of having the game on, I just don’t anymore.

Even if the game is in prime time and I can watch it, I don’t, I’d rather play with my kids than deal with the mess that is TN football

I have a group of close friends who live all across the country, who are all part of my "tribe" of Tennessee fans. We're talking west coast, east coast, Texas and the midwest, etc., but we managed to make time to catch one game a year or thereabouts. Road trips, air travel, many good stories. Well ... we're still all friends, nothing wrong there, but since 2010 I could count the number of games we've seen as a group on one hand. It's not that we don't care -- it's that there just isn't much to care about these days. Hell, the last thing we did was take an RV to the Battle at Bristol, and we didn't even really talk about the game beforehand. We just wanted to see the spectacle. Winning was great, but it was really a bonus for us. Aside from that, Tennessee has stunk for years. There's not a coaching platitude or media department video out there that can make up for a decade of incompetence.

I still watch. I still care. I think we all do. But there are better things to do with your Saturdays than get too worked up about a program that stumbles around on the field like a drunk hobo with its pants falling off.

Oftentimes I will be out grocery shopping or at Home Depot and realize we are halfway through the game. I used to pregame 2 hours in advance. Actually I would start getting amped up earlier in the week, had a hard time sleeping Friday night, woke up and and pregamed most of Saturday. I miss that excitement and wish I could get it back.

It’s still important to me, i rarely miss watching a game unless something really important keeps me from it. Now I don’t get nearly as upset or overly excited about wins and losses I just enjoy the game. College Football is the only stick or ball sport I care anything about so generally my Saturdays revolve around it. Been a Vol fan for over 60 years, remember listening to games on a transistor radio as a kid in the 50’s and still love it now like I did then!!!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
When it comes to college sports no team or school is as important to me than Tennessee. I've been a Vol fan for 60 years and have seen and heard many a great game in that time. Like many Vol fans I've suffered through this last 12 to 15 years of disaster and failure except for a season here and there when we actually won more than we lost. I love my Vols and always will no matter what happens. Is this program and team important to me? Very Important!!!
Exactly. This sums it up for me too.

It's important because I share it with my family (wife + 2 boys). Gamedays we put the flag out, go get Chik-Fil-A for breakfast and gear up for the game. Being on the West coast makes it pretty easy to have a fun morning then move on with the day. Admittedly the poor play has made our interest wane but still fun until kickoff.....

I have two young sons that have taken great interest in sportsman activities. A few years ago, I made them leave a camping trip early so we could go home and watch the Vols (I think we were playing Missouri). We get home and the boys go straight to their room, build a tent and pretend they’re fishing while I watch an unmotivated Tennessee team get destroyed. I felt like absolute crap after that and immediately put UT football very far down my list of priorities.

Honestly, the best part of UT football for me is this board. I’ve enjoyed the banter on here far more than anything I’ve seen on the field in years

Last edited:
It’s way too important for me I’m 25 years old and Invest too much into the Vols football and basketball and get nothing in return for it. But I can’t give it up I was born and raised a VOL fan and it’s sad to say but it’s in my blood.

Just be true to yourself. There is nothing worse than having to kick yourself in the pants if you are not. That is not to say you cannot reprioritize things in your life, you can. There are life changing events. Your methods of upholding your fandom can for sure change, but some principles can not.

I forever have believed that way too many people that want to be fans are really sports consumers who fool themselves into thinking they are fans after aligning with a team due to convenience, expectation or interaction with others who are truly committed. But like a bad marriage, even if entered into with good intentions it becomes evident it is not real. Eventually it shows, but they don't know what to do with their hats and car flags., and while in denial it spirals into really bad feelings over their time and money investment. Walking away would really be better for them and the program. You are the only one that can truly know if you are a fan in a bad stretch or need to reclassify. Others may beat you to the assessment. To thine own self be true, the rest will take care of itself. Real highs will out weigh real lows if you are really a fan. If in doubt you better invest the time to figure it out or you will take hits from those that do know and will defend their team through thick and thin and the good and the bad and hope for a better tomorrow.

For me, Vol Nation has helped me enjoy it more. I'm up here in Chicagoland where people don't care much about college ball, or if they do it's Northwestern or Michigan. So having these threads has given me a sense of still being part of the UTK community (I was undergrad class of 92). Part of the entertainment now is figuring out which VN posters will be vindicated in the game, and who has to "spin" it afterward. For example, is 1vol8 going to be proven right about his QB? We didn't get the chance to learn that last year, but next year, if Maurer's got it, he will be on the field, and if not, will 1vol8 admit he was wrong? That's just an example of a second layer of enjoyment, the first being the football itself. All this said, though, to the OP's point ... Tennessee football has to be distantly behind my faith in God and my family. But I can still carve out three hours on twelve Saturdays to spend on what is essentially a hobby. GBO, make it worth my watching in 2021!

It used to be near the top, now I'm mostly apathetic. I'd like to be good, but sustained mediocrity has really given me some new hobbies. College Football used to be an event, from 10am til bedtime, now at best it's background noise. I don't know if I could get back to that level even if Tennessee were relevant.

Not very high on the list anymore. I would never schedule my afternoon around a football game, and unfortunately the basketball and baseball teams are swill as well. Maybe the Lady Vols' teams can ante up.

Yeah, when you compound 15 years of being a lousy fan with the football fortunes I can see where it would take it's toll. I am with you win or win has never been the hallmark of a good solid fan. You can take some comfort in that you are not alone in the shortcomings department, and I am sure some others will come immediately to your defense. Like lots of lifelong Vol fans, my ticket buying, time prioritizing, and TV viewing have never waivered. It is once again time to man up and get behind the new folks in charge and hope for the best, even in their less than perfect states. It is all about supporting the young men and women who sign on to be Vols. There is no justification for letting them down even when the program has to pay the price for guys that multiply the problems as they depart like Kiffin and Pruitt, rather than just fail in the line of duty like Dooley, and Butch. We are all back on the clock with our new leadership.
You should take a long walk off a short pier.

It's pretty damn important for me. My wife's "drive" on Saturday night is dependent on what happens with the VOLS. So hell yes it's pretty damn important, to me. 😂
Comments like this make me kinda thankful that my wife isn't a Vols fan, and doesn't really care thst much about sports😂

After say any spiritual beliefs, family & work, where does Tn football rank ?
Well I believe my God prefers the color orange, Jesus VOLUNTEERED his life so that I could have a life after this one, the Tennessee Volunteers are my family and I work hard everyday so that I can enjoy Tennessee sports during each season. I’d say this ranks number 1 with everything else in my life Bc everything has a balance according to the word of God 🙂

Reactions: N.ohio vol
10 years ago I wouldn't miss a game on TV. I'd plan my weekends around it. Now I'll do yard work meet with friends and so on. When Dobbs was around I found myself starting to revert back to no scheduling or planning anything during the season.

It's pretty damn important for me. My wife's "drive" on Saturday night is dependent on what happens with the VOLS. So hell yes it's pretty damn important, to me. 😂
Dam* bruh, you're in a 15 year dry spell.....maybe you could get her to become a bammer and you would "get lucky" much more often.......That may be the only "good" reason to be a bammer!

I see a lot of quick responses saying how little importance it has. Clearly you're lying to yourself, since you're here posting. I'm right there with you. I've not watched some games because I don't want the heartache, but it's still important.

I still watch but, won't attend these days. I've spent thousands in season tickets, travel , and overpriced concessions. In today's game the officials have ruined the game. I would swear they all take the points when they have Tennessee. As long as the SEC HQ is Alabama. Our officials, are as biased as they come, and will stay that way. Lastly I feel college free agency has ruined the game for me. HS football is my favorite now.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
I see a lot of quick responses saying how little importance it has. Clearly you're lying to yourself, since you're here posting. I'm right there with you. I've not watched some games because I don't want the heartache, but it's still important.
It looks more like its become "less" important to most than of "little" importance.

I’d say it’s akin to the importance of a bag of Doritos. I always hope they’ll be super cheesy, but of course I know to expect them to be mostly dry.

I wonder how much of this is growing up/maturity vs. how bad things have been over the past several years. I'm sure it's both really.

It used to be way, way more important. Obsessive even. But it's hard to obsess over something that continually disappoints you, time after time. I'm still a fan. Always will be. But it's much easier to accept a loss, or even accept missing a game, than it used to be.

Reactions: knoxvol16

VN Store

Back