How good is Jim Chaney?

The offense being different one game to the next is called game planning. He watches film, looks for weaknesses in opposing defenses, and tries to use those to his advantage while also balancing the strengths (and weaknesses) of his own personnel.

Yes, I think that is that was intended by my statement. It also comes with the point I was trying to make. He isn't innovative, or dynamic. He is very good at getting the offense to execute. My personal opinion, or rather desires, is that I wish he was more dynamic. The game has changed over the decades. Great coaches incorporate and adapt if they don't create themselves.

Jim Chaney has the same mind set for offensive football as he did back in 1940 when he was at Purdue !!!! 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He only throws the ball in have too situations. Rarely comes out throwing the ball on 1st and 10. Entirely too predictable and all he wants to do is run off tackle , the same stuff he ran at Purdue back in the olden days. He needs desperately to move up into the 21st century in his play calling. That is exactly why Georgia no longer wanted him , in my opinion. And I would gladly tell him that face to face if I I ever got a chance. I have been watching Tenn football since the late 50's so I have a right to complain.
Have your even watched the games?
I have no idea what team you are watching but Chaney is NONE of the above.
This.

Aaah...the "adjustments"....imagine ADPF wanted to "adjust" his overpriced OC about midway through the 3rd qtr of the BYU game when you couldnt convert a 3rd down. But stick with him. He might prove his worth if y'all can win a few during the off season. UT prolly better than Bama right now too?
Yep. If you watched the game you’d know the refs and JG’s decision to go rogue are the only things that prevented Tennessee from beating the tide.

Yep. If you watched the game you’d know the refs and JG’s decision to go rogue are the only things that prevented Tennessee from beating the tide.
the refs and JG’s decision to go rogue are the only things that prevented Tennessee from beating the tide.
A classic case of BVS.....presenting symptoms of delusion coupled with refusal to acknowledge responsibility...get some help, son. You have a whole life in front of you.

the refs and JG’s decision to go rogue are the only things that prevented Tennessee from beating the tide.
A classic case of BVS.....presenting symptoms of delusion coupled with refusal to acknowledge responsibility...get some help, son. You have a whole life in front of you.
I’m not your son, but I do have a life in front of me. Thankful for that :)

Reactions: BAMA-DAWG
The key to what you say "more weapons" should say "more and better weapons". The best coach in the business can't succeed without many good to better weapons.

Or better coaching.... UGA has had a top 5 class or close to that the past several years.... Close but can not get over the hump.

Chaney is worth every penny. His ability to dial up the perfect play at critical moments is unmatched. imo. He knows how to dissect a defense

remember how players and pruitt says everyone plays checkers. chaney plays chess???? i would agree . he knows how set a defense up to get those big plays 3,4,5,6 plays later.

Reactions: dduncan4163
This is the topic of this season IMO. We have seen Dabo succeed based on his staff and watched Bama fall as Saban's assistant coaches get poached. We have seen Ohio State's defense go from being OK to great with the departure of Schiano. We see Georgia's offense look anemic without Chaney. Which brings me to my point here. Bama's defense without Pruitt (and Smart before him) is poor. UGA's offense without Chaney is worse. Does this mean UT has somehow put together a decent coaching team? It is too early to tell but the improvement in a pretty poor team this season is encouraging.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Say what you like, in my opinion Jim Chaney is not even in the same league with Lane Kiffin calling offensive plays !!! Call me an idiot if you like, have been called much worse. I never have liked Chaney, nor will I ever like him.

Awww sounds like somebody has a huge man crush.

This is the topic of this season IMO. We have seen Dabo succeed based on his staff and watched Bama fall as Saban's assistant coaches get poached. We have seen Ohio State's defense go from being OK to great with the departure of Schiano. We see Georgia's offense look anemic without Chaney. Which brings me to my point here. Bama's defense without Pruitt (and Smart before him) is poor. UGA's offense without Chaney is worse. Does this mean UT has somehow put together a decent coaching team? It is too early to tell but the improvement in a pretty poor team this season is encouraging.

I am not sure losing Cheney is why UGA was worse on offense. They lost their top 5 receivers from 2018, which explains Fromm's drop in production in 2019.

I think Cheney is a good to very good OC. If I am not mistaken, that was the opinion of most on this board after he left. But there are some great OCs out there and several better than Cheney. I am sure most everyone on here has seen the OC rankings by SDS, which has him listed at #14.

The SDS Top 25: Ranking the best offensive play-callers in college football

Jim Chaney is the difference between Ga going to a bowl game instead of the playoffs. Ga fans will say losing Chaney was no big deal but they are straight out lying
But UGA had Chaney in 2018 with better receivers and no offensive injuries and didn’t make the playoffs. In fact, Chaney managed 6 more points with that squad against LSU in 2018. UGA wasn’t a playoff team this year regardless of OC. Football is changing. The old school chew clock and play defense approach is getting beat consistently now, even Saban changed from it and that was his bread and butter. It took 2 first round NFL backs coming back for their senior season for a Chaney offense to make the playoffs and he couldn’t make it back when they left. If Kirby doesn’t do what Orgeron did and update his offense and stop meddling, then he’ll go the way of Les Miles.

Reactions: BAMA-DAWG

VN Store

Back