How good is Jim Chaney?

Fixed your post.
No you didn’t it wasn’t broken! What you said about the HC makes the final decision is true, but unnecessary in my post because I said , he wasn’t HC but wondered how much influence he had on the decision.
And whatever you , me or anyone else believe about the QB decision this year is pure speculation.
What’s not speculation is coaches do make the wrong decision when it comes to QB’s some time.

Reactions: P.O.T.S. VOL
Chaney, like all play callers, has his faults. When we hired him I thought it was a home run but maybe not for the same reasons everyone else does.

I think he's a B+/A- playcaller. Why I thought he was a home run was two fold- he develops QBs exceptionally well and he's probably a lifer.

With no desire to be a head coach and a stated love for Knoxville then he's going to retire here (assuming JP can keep his job as our HC)

"You will have the same OC and scheme your whole time here" is a powerful message to the kids smart enough to listen.

everyone gets it. We lost to GA State. Might be time for some of y'all to move on. Continually bitching about it isn't changing anything.

Reactions: MarcoVol
Jim’s also the OC last year that chose that QB to play over Justin Fields.
And also the OC on a team this year that had most of us wondering what the hell is our QB situation this year.
Not the HC either time but makes me wonder how much influence was his on these decisions
One of the major reasons we landed CJC was conflict with Kirby. I believed at the time it was mostly over Fields. I believe Chaney wanted use him more and Kirby wanted Fromm. Chaney knows quarterbacks. Why would CJC leave Georgia? His two best quarterbacks were run off.

Reactions: sjsmith87
Reelfolt,my mom and about a million relatives live and loved in the Bluebank,Owl city area at Reelfoot lake.That said, if you have been watching IT football since the late 50's,how do you explain the Tyler Bray to JH,CP,etc.passing days records?Change games what he has and uses it to the best advantage.Also,the Miss.St.game,all he needed to do was run.

Does anyone know who the OC is at LSU?

OC are kinda like the qb. They get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

Unless he has changed drastically, I don't recall him being a genius the last time he was here and he wasn't retained.
I recall him being a genius. I recall having the most exciting offense ever at UT. I recall a defense that would not have been able stop Maryville high school from scoring.

Say what you like, in my opinion Jim Chaney is not even in the same league with Lane Kiffin calling offensive plays !!! Call me an idiot if you like, have been called much worse. I never have liked Chaney, nor will I ever like him.

You and all the others that think Kiffin is so great are delusional. He has done nothing besides ride his daddy's coat tail and others his entire life. He is a very good play caller, NOT ELITE! Look at what happened to FAU's offense last year after Kendall Briles left. FAU bounced back nicely this year. Lane will be done at Ole Miss within 4 years. Then, he will NEVER COACH A POWER 5 TEAM AGAIN!!! Chaney is head and shoulders above LAME!!! It isn't even close!!!!

One of the major reasons we landed CJC was conflict with Kirby. I believed at the time it was mostly over Fields. I believe Chaney wanted use him more and Kirby wanted Fromm. Chaney knows quarterbacks. Why would CJC leave Georgia? His two best quarterbacks were run off.
Sound plausible. Kirby a 3 year HC , Defensive Guy. Won at Bama with Saban using the Great Defense, Great OL, Great RB conservative, Game manager QB play.
Fromm, safer lower ceiling vs higher risk higher ceiling ( Eason, Fields)
Is Pruitts blueprint any different from Kirby?
Does Chaney think so?
I hope so , it takes prolific Offense to win today! Bama, Clemson, LSU, Ohio St all figured that out.

GA State says hello.
That was before the adjustments. We’re obviously a better team than Georgia now. Y’all got beat by South Carolina and couldn’t even score a TD against LSU except for garbage time. Imagine how bad you’ll be after Fromm and 4 of your starting OL leave after the season 😕

Sound plausible. Kirby a 3 year HC , Defensive Guy. Won at Bama with Saban using the Great Defense, Great OL, Great RB conservative, Game manager QB play.
Fromm, safer lower ceiling vs higher risk higher ceiling ( Eason, Fields)
Is Pruitts blueprint any different from Kirby?
Does Chaney think so?
I hope so , it takes prolific Offense to win today! Bama, Clemson, LSU, Ohio St all figured that out.
Pruitt let CJC do his thing this season. Pruitt let a lot f things go this season and trusted his assistants.

Seems like he has turned JG loose some lately. Maybe he has realized we are short stacked on RBs and the money is in his WRs. No?
I think you call plays that you think your guys can execute successfully. Still, the players have to make the plays. As players become better & more experienced then I think you can open up the offense more but no sense calling plays you don't have the confidence in them executing successfully. Coaches determine that by what they see in practice. Just my two cents worth. We all would like TN to be back in the Wide Receiver U days but you have to play with the cards you are dealt. I'm hoping that the recent recruiting classes can increase our depth & talent stock.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Still don’t know why Chaney would leave Georgia with that defensive genius Kirby Smart...who else would have come up with a three man rush against Joe Burrow? Lol!

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Chaney is very good as a play caller. He's not perfect, and yes I know no one is, but he's not the savior many pump him up to be. He has his flaws, gets stubborn, can be overly conservative and overly explosive. You can see him one game bore you to death with stale play calling, the next game, bombs away. He'll also drive down the field using runs or passes, then completely flip to the other once in the red zone. Innovative? No. That he is not. Executioner? Yes. That's what makes him very good. There are many many others that are more creative, dynamic, intuitive than he is. They usually end up head coaching which diminishes their best talents. Kiffen is a much wilder play caller, but he's not a stickler for execution, or at least wasn't when he was here. Spurrier? I hate the guy, but he probably still is a better play caller in a game than Chaney. Trying to rank OCs is hard due to so many variables. Schemers, situational calls, innovators, disciplined execution. Chaney has never really married to a system, which means he's never perfected one like some others have.

The best thing he has going for him is he's very good, won't move up to head coach (meaning he's stable if you can keep him as we appear to be able to), and he's not married to anything specific. I'd like him to go see his buddy Drew and pick up some of the Saints offensive ideas like LSU has incorporated.

The offense being different one game to the next is called game planning. He watches film, looks for weaknesses in opposing defenses, and tries to use those to his advantage while also balancing the strengths (and weaknesses) of his own personnel.

That was before the adjustments. We’re obviously a better team than Georgia now. Y’all got beat by South Carolina and couldn’t even score a TD against LSU except for garbage time. Imagine how bad you’ll be after Fromm and 4 of your starting OL leave after the season 😕
Aaah...the "adjustments"....imagine ADPF wanted to "adjust" his overpriced OC about midway through the 3rd qtr of the BYU game when you couldnt convert a 3rd down. But stick with him. He might prove his worth if y'all can win a few during the off season. UT prolly better than Bama right now too?

Proof? It’s you’re assumption. May or may not be true
Last year Pruitt ran the defense and had fingers On all the play calls in all three phases. He has said himself that he has backed off a lot this season and he had to trust people to do their job. I think it was on the Marty and Magee show where I saw it.

Watching Georgia’s offense struggle tonight against a defense that’s been slightly above average all year made me smile.

UGA is rolling with 5-star studs all over the place and a QB they chose over Justin Fields, but have regressed mightily without Jim Chaney.

My thread title it rhetorical. Jim’s a boss and it’s great to be a Tennessee Vol!
I think it’s less Chaney and that they made a really bad hire at OC. I’m pretty sure Fields worked out the transfer WHILE Chaney was OC. Doesn’t speak very well of Chaney.

VN Store

Back