How far do they drop

They should stay the same. AP has LSU 1, and Bama 2. And if GA wins the SEC championship then puts the SEC in 3 of the top 4 slots IMO...

Last edited:
Can't imagine Bama won't be the highest ranked 1 loss team.

They dug their own hole and almost dug out of it.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Penn St....gone!

So it will come down to LSU, UGA, and Bama in the SEC for 1 slot...maybe 2 if UGA looks impressive and beats LSU.

SEC SEC …...……...Bama loss puts them and LSU in the final four.
Bamma wins out and stays home and rests while LSU whips GA. Both get in final four.

Reactions: Boca Vol
It's not an impressive list of teams that Alabama has beaten so far this year. Texas A&M is about it. Putting them in the top 5 right now, would be a reflection of program reputation and past success. It would have nothing to do with what this year's team has done so far.

Reactions: miket4god
They go to 5th I think. The committee wants to put them in. They won't fall further than they absolutely have to.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
This is what as known as activating the jinx.
Outside the thread topic but I made it to Macon for the game yesterday. Turnout seemed light for homecoming. You got any sense that people are bored with it in general, or maybe just because of the record this year?

I wouldn't be surprised if they fell only 1 spot. Media is in love with 2 teams from the SEC, Bama and Florida. It's been that way for awhile.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Outside the thread topic but I made it to Macon for the game yesterday. Turnout seemed light for homecoming. You got any sense that people are bored with it in general, or maybe just because of the record this year?
It's been tough the last couple of years. They get good crowds early and then it tails off. Coach is probably on his way out. Results just haven't been there. The President is a competitive guy who wants a winner.

Last edited:
It's been tough the last couple of years. They get good crowds early and then it tails off. Coach is probably on his way out. Results just haven't been there. The President is a competitive guy who wants a winner.
I talked to Jim Cole a bit but not about anything like that. Hard to imagine Mercer being that cutthroat about football. I'll spend more time with the administration people in Chapel Hill in 2 weeks and try to figure out which way the breeze is blowing.

I talked to Jim Cole a bit but not about anything like that. Hard to imagine Mercer being that cutthroat about football. I'll spend more time with the administration people in Chapel Hill in 2 weeks and try to figure out which way the breeze is blowing.
I know Jim as well. His kids go to the same school mine do. It's probably crazy the number of people you and I know in common.

I'm telling you, the President is mega-competitive. If they ran the basketball coach who beat Duke in the tournament a few years ago, they'll do the same thing to Bobby Lamb and not think twice. They had huge momentum in both football and basketball a few years ago. 3 losing seasons in a row and a crappy homecoming crowd aren't good for business.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I wouldn't be surprised if they fell only 1 spot. Media is in love with 2 teams from the SEC, Bama and Florida. It's been that way for awhile.
It is no wonder their fans have a sense of entitlement. In terms of the 8 teams who they have actually beaten so far this season, you can make a case that Tennessee is their 2nd most impressive win as of right now:

1) Texas A&M (6-3)
2) Southern Mississippi (6-3)
3) Tennessee (5-5)
4) Duke (4-5)
5) South Carolina (4-6)
6) Ole Miss (4-6)
7) Arkansas (2-8)
8) New Mexico State (0-9)

Take note, that Alabama has only beaten two teams who currently have a winning record and are assured of being bowl eligible. Alabama has beaten both the worst team in the Power 5 (Arkansas) and the worst team in the entire FBS (New Mexico State). For that, they are still in the top 5. That has nothing to do with the results of this season. It has everything to do with past success and program reputation. That is wrong.

It is no wonder their fans have a sense of entitlement. In terms of the 8 teams who they have actually beaten so far this season, you can make a case that Tennessee is their 2nd most impressive win as of right now:

1) Texas A&M (6-3)
2) Southern Mississippi (6-3)
3) Tennessee (5-5)
4) Duke (4-5)
5) South Carolina (4-6)
6) Ole Miss (4-6)
7) Arkansas (2-8)
8) New Mexico State (0-9)

Take note, that Alabama has only beaten two teams who currently have a winning record and are assured of being bowl eligible. Alabama has beaten both the worst team in the Power 5 (Arkansas) and the worst team in the entire FBS (New Mexico State). For that, they are still in the top 5. That has nothing to do with the results of this season. It has everything to do with past success and program reputation. That is wrong.

As for playoffs.. The National Championship game actually may have been played in Tuscaloosa with LSU coming out on top. It's time to put some logic into this cupcake schedule Bama has and acknowledge that if they can't win the conference, they shouldn't be in the playoffs. Period. Oh yeah.. Bama did pull that one before, and it worked out quite nicely for them. It's like having a bye week when the real SEC champion team has to play an extra game, risk injuries etc. I think it gives a definite advantage to not having to play in a conference championship game. LSU definitely has had far more worthy opponents and beaten Bama on their home field.

I'm not saying Bama is a crummy team by any means. They are good. I acknowledge that, but they had their chance. They lost. Time to give some opportunity to others more deserving.

As for playoffs.. The National Championship game actually may have been played in Tuscaloosa with LSU coming out on top. It's time to put some logic into this cupcake schedule Bama has and acknowledge that if they can't win the conference, they shouldn't be in the playoffs. Period. Oh yeah.. Bama did pull that one before, and it worked out quite nicely for them. It's like having a bye week when the real SEC champion team has to play an extra game, risk injuries etc. I think it gives a definite advantage to not having to play in a conference championship game. LSU definitely has had far more worthy opponents and beaten Bama on their home field.

I'm not saying Bama is a crummy team by any means. They are good. I acknowledge that, but they had their chance. They lost. Time to give some opportunity to others more deserving.
If LSU wins out, and Alabama is still placed in the college football playoff, it would not be rewarding LSU enough for their head to head win or for winning the SEC Championship. You are exactly right, it would essentially be giving Alabama an extra bye week while LSU has to play Georgia on a neutral field. That doesn't make any sense. There needs to be some punishment for failing to win your own division... assuming it does work out that way.

VN Store

Back