How does the LV’s match up with the top five SEC teams?

I agree and I read you more for accuracy then most all posters here-- we have a bunch of talent and I like Emily among them- Is Horston going to flower?? Ever?

I think she is caught in a quandary...should she stand down and let JoJo, Destiny and the incoming Miles do what they're recruited to do...I think she should open up and play the game that got her here and not worry about the other's (if, of course, that is the problem). Jordan is capable of playing three spots, equally...This is a blessing, and, a curse.

I also think it's impossible for all of us, coaches included, to know how things go within the internal chemistry of a team. While coaches understand the Xs and Os of basketball, a coach on the outside looking in doesn't have the benefit of seeing what CKH sees, and knowing the players as Coach CKH does.
Not a knock on Coach Jumper as he brings great insight and info to the board, but none of us know or see what goes on behind the curtain on a daily basis.

No, not on a daily basis,,,true

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Sun Tzu....
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles....If you know yourself and not the enemy, for every victory gained you will suffer a defeat...If you know neither yourself, nor your enemy, you will succumb in every battle....

Let's all hope that Coach Kellie knows the path to many victories, for this particular club, does not rest in the hands of the post players....They are, as the supporting cast to a great actor or actress, an aid to a "winning performance", and nothing more....

images

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Sun Tzu....
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles....If you know yourself and not the enemy, for every victory gained you will suffer a defeat...If you know neither yourself, nor your enemy, you will succumb in every battle....

Let's all hope that Coach Kellie knows the path to many victories, for this particular club, does not rest in the hands of the post players....They are, as the supporting cast to a great actor or actress, an aid to a "winning performance", and nothing more....

images

GameTime this is a very thoughtful, intellectual, and interesting way of saying our post play is terrible. Charles Barkley ‘turrible’.

I see the size, strength, and some athleticism but like another poster noted I don’t see the basketball skill. I hope @Coach Jumper is right and they can be polished and brought up to speed with coaching but I just don’t see it.

CKH seems to have a real problem with choosing size and strength instead of basketball skill in her recruiting style. To me it is a lot easier to mold a players size and strength with the weight room and proper nutrition than it is to mold basketball skill.

Basketball skill is learned over a lifetime not an off-season, and definitely not in-season.

Reactions: GameTime
CKH seems to have a real problem with choosing size and strength instead of basketball skill in her recruiting style.

Current roster

Kellie recruits:
Destiny Salary (6 foot)
Jordan Walker (5’8”)
Keyen Green (6’1”)
Jaiden McCoy (6’3”)
Tess Darby (6’1”)
Marta Suarez (6’2”)

Holly recruits:
Rennia Davis (6’2”)
Kasi Kushkituah (6’4”)
Jessie Rennie (5’8”)
Rae Burrell (6’1”)
Tamari Key (6’5”)
Jordan Horston (6’2”)
Emily Saunders (6’5”)

It appears you are discrediting Kellie for players her predecessor recruited.

Current roster

Kellie recruits:
Destiny Salary (6 foot)
Jordan Walker (5’8”)
Keyen Green (6’1”)
Jaiden McCoy (6’3”)
Tess Darby (6’1”)
Marta Suarez (6’2”)

Holly recruits:
Rennia Davis (6’2”)
Kasi Kushkituah (6’4”)
Jessie Rennie (5’8”)
Rae Burrell (6’1”)
Tamari Key (6’5”)
Jordan Horston (6’2”)
Emily Saunders (6’5”)

I see a lot of basketball skill on Holly’s board.

Or basketball skill, although KG maybe being out skews it a little.

To avoid talking in circles, you said Kellie chooses size and strength over basketball skills, but the tallest players were recruited by Holly. It’s ok to admit you are wrong. If you don’t like the players Kellie recruits, that’s fine. But the numbers don’t support your original argument.

To avoid talking in circles, you said Kellie chooses size and strength over basketball skills, but the tallest players were recruited by Holly. It’s ok to admit you are wrong. If you don’t like the players Kellie recruits, that’s fine. But the numbers don’t support your original argument.

I did think CKH’s players were a little taller but you are mistaking size and strength for height.

GameTime this is a very thoughtful, intellectual, and interesting way of saying our post play is terrible. Charles Barkley ‘turrible’.

I see the size, strength, and some athleticism but like another poster noted I don’t see the basketball skill. I hope @Coach Jumper is right and they can be polished and brought up to speed with coaching but I just don’t see it.

CKH seems to have a real problem with choosing size and strength instead of basketball skill in her recruiting style. To me it is a lot easier to mold a players size and strength with the weight room and proper nutrition than it is to mold basketball skill.

Basketball skill is learned over a lifetime not an off-season, and definitely not in-season.

Our posts aren't dominate bc they're not valued for what they could do.
Give me the centers and forwards for a summer and I will give you beasts, not lambs.

You coach/teach,, what you value!

I value a strong inside game with a versatile Center and a physical PF.
Kareem/Worthy
Laimbeer/Mahorn
Ewing/Oakley

We could easily have that... with Key's size and length, investing in teaching her a skyhook with a reverse fade counter move and McCoy/Green/Saunders/Suarez, all capable of throwing their weight around...we could easily be an inside dominating team

but
you coach what you value
And today's coaches value positionless players

With the E-80 this summer, I had to play against a positionless team that beat me by 16 two weeks prior, for the championship...I put five of my most athletic and physical players on the court at the start and attacked the dribble of the 5-guard, 3 pt shooting team that dominated the league,,,then once I got the lead, I subbed in Maggie Vick and went to her relentlessly and told the other four to attack the rim on every bringdown that didn't go inside to Maggie...Once the lead hit 25 I let them cruise and shoot three's...and when the opposing tema began to run, I sat Maggie and attacked their dribble again....the result was a 102-50 win.

If we do the same thing this week against Arkansas, we will demolish them...I wouldn't even start a big...I'd wait and bring them in once the speedsters got done terrorizing Ark...., I would go with Rennia, Jordan H, Rae, Marta and JoJo (Possibly even Destiny)...Even without a true post, we still tower over them as a group so if we all crash the boards, we would still dominate on the boards. Once I see how that goes, I bring in Key and KK or Emily and slow it down (and give them fair warning that they weren't in there to cruise, they were in there to punish,,,,And if Ark got frisky again, attack them with guards, full court or half-court pickup

But, that's my style of coaching...I use my bigs to intimidate!

Our posts aren't dominate bc they're not valued for what they could do.
Give me the centers and forwards for a summer and I will give you beasts, not lambs.

You coach/teach,, what you value!

I value a strong inside game with a versatile Center and a physical PF.
Kareem/Worthy
Laimbeer/Mahorn
Ewing/Oakley

We could easily have that... with Key's size and length, investing in teaching her a skyhook with a reverse fade counter move and McCoy/Green/Saunders/Suarez, all capable of throwing their weight around...we could easily be an inside dominating team

but
you coach what you value
And today's coaches value positionless players

With the E-80 this summer, I had to play against a positionless team that beat me by 16 two weeks prior, for the championship...I put five of my most athletic and physical players on the court at the start and attacked the dribble of the 5-guard, 3 pt shooting team that dominated the league,,,then once I got the lead, I subbed in Maggie Vick and went to her relentlessly and told the other four to attack the rim on every bringdown that didn't go inside to Maggie...Once the lead hit 25 I let them cruise and shoot three's...and when the opposing tema began to run, I sat Maggie and attacked their dribble again....the result was a 102-50 win.

If we do the same thing this week against Arkansas, we will demolish them...I wouldn't even start a big...I'd wait and bring them in once the speedsters got done terrorizing Ark...., I would go with Rennia, Jordan H, Rae, Marta and JoJo (Possibly even Destiny)...Even without a true post, we still tower over them as a group so if we all crash the boards, we would still dominate on the boards. Once I see how that goes, I bring in Key and KK or Emily and slow it down (and give them fair warning that they weren't in there to cruise, they were in there to punish,,,,And if Ark got frisky again, attack them with guards, full court or half-court pickup

But, that's my style of coaching...I use my bigs to intimidate!

I like that starting lineup. Jordan H could defend the opposing 5 and simulate that position on the offensive end.

Reactions: volfan__18
Current roster

Kellie recruits:
Destiny Salary (6 foot)
Jordan Walker (5’8”)
Keyen Green (6’1”)
Jaiden McCoy (6’3”)
Tess Darby (6’1”)
Marta Suarez (6’2”)

Holly recruits:
Rennia Davis (6’2”)
Kasi Kushkituah (6’4”)
Jessie Rennie (5’8”)
Rae Burrell (6’1”)
Tamari Key (6’5”)
Jordan Horston (6’2”)
Emily Saunders (6’5”)

what about our '21 and '22 commits

Reactions: 37620VOL
I am hardest on the coaches because I am a coach.

You can have all the ingredients for cake and if the cook doesn't mix them right, it turns out cornbread

Coach K took a big step in growth over the last few games:
Letting her starters get a flow before interrupting them
getting into the faces of the zebras

She still has some distance to go, but if she stays the course, she will turn out to be the right choice.
I back Kellie, 100%
But that doesn't mean I will go soft on her,,,As she goes, this team will go
Learning on the job? If the answer is yes, then every question has been answered. From recruiting, games etc.

Only against cupcakes, which has unfortunately been the majority of the schedule. Kellie shortened the bench considerably against West Virginia and Indiana, going with an 8 player rotation, and will likely stick with that while they go through the SEC gauntlet...
That is exactly the point I was/am trying to make .You should play your starting five until they get so tired ( individually and substitute for the tired player with the one(s) you intend to trim down to your 7/8/9 person rotation....then you empty your bench midway thru 4th quarter if the score permits it ) they have to come out of the game against every opponent ...cupcakes and Top 10 alike.That is the only way to both meld/develop chemistry and get them in game shape ( especially in this covid year where there are starts and stops in practice days and games postponed /rescheduled /delayed ) to play against Top level teams ( Top 10/25 ).That has been proven time and again by all the great teams in this century and last century as well.

Last edited:
That is exactly the point I was/am trying to make .You should play your starting five until they get so tired they have to come out of the game against every opponent ...cupcakes and Top 10 alike.That is the only way to both meld/develop chemistry and get them in game shape to play against Top level teams ( Top 10/25 ).That has been proven time and again by all the great teams in this century and last century as well.

That’s a good way to get them hurt too... I know injuries can happen in any game but why risk it with a 25 point lead especially if you need to build a bench too. Not arguing just looking from a different perspective.

You also have to think about burn out down the road we already have two make up games before the tourney so who knows how many more we might have. When other teams are resting/practicing we may be playing (which could be an advantage or could be a detriment. Just looking at both sides of the coin.

That’s a good way to get them hurt too... I know injuries can happen in any game but why risk it with a 25 point lead especially if you need to build a bench too. Not arguing just looking from a different perspective.

You also have to think about burn out down the road we already have two make up games before the tourney so who knows how many more we might have. When other teams are resting/practicing we may be playing (which could be an advantage or could be a detriment. Just looking at both sides of the coin.

IT did not seem to infringe on Pat Summitts's great teams nor has it affected the great teams that UCONN has fielded in the last 15 years with 7 person rotations.Burn out down the road is caused by them not being in great shape ...and those Summitt and UCONN teams with 7/8 person rotations were in great shape going into the NCAA Tourney.

Injuries are going to happen whether you are tired or not .....that should not be an excuse for not getting the team in great game shape.

IT did not seem to infringe on Pat Summitts's great teams nor has it affected the great teams that UCONN has fielded in the last 15 years with 7 person rotations.Burn out down the road is caused by them not being in great shape ...and those Summitt and UCONN teams with 7/8 person rotations were in great shape going into the NCAA Tourney.

Injuries are going to happen whether you are tired or not .....that should not be an excuse for not getting the team in great game shape.

I do agree with you on this point. Injuries are going to happen, you can’t plan for them and you can’t truly avoid them. They are an inevitable and unpredictable part of all sports. Most of them in women’s basketball seem to occur in practice, so I’m not keen on worrying too much about it happening against cupcake teams just because we beat them by a lot.

Notre Dame’s national championship team a couple years ago proved you do not need a deep team to be a great team. They basically had 5 players and some defensive subs due to injuries that season. That group of young women got in a rhythm like I’ve never seen. Their offense had incredible speed and anticipation. They all knew exactly what the other was going to do. You only build that kind of chemistry in live game situations. You just can’t duplicate that experience in practice.

Reactions: alexvol

Again, i’m not disagreeing just offering up another option. This is her coaching style. We saw her shorten the rotation in games. So it’s not like she won’t do it but she believes she has to have a just incase plan. We all know who will be in the game when it’s on the line. i’m not worried about their conditioning i’m worried about the foul though and what happens if they go to the bench.

Let’s also not forget Pat and Geno had the luxury of pulling all americans off the bench haha so most likely if something did happen the next person up already had a leg up on the competition. If Kellie had done the same pattern against Indiana and WV i would be worried but i’m not and the girls showed they wouldn’t quit because of fatigue.

Also don’t forget that both of those coaches made practice harder than any game so the cohesion AND physical fitness came during practice as well.

VN Store

Back