How does the LV’s match up with the top five SEC teams?

teacherdean

USC, Arkansas, Kentucky, MSTU and A&M appear to be the class of the Women’s SEC BB teams. My question is after watching these top SEC team, how do you feel the Lady Vols compare? We have some very good players, especially in the guard area. We seem to be weak in the post position, though KK has played strong in the last two games. Key has the shot blocking ability but makes a lot of foolish fouls. Key also has issues putting herself in position to rebound. All five of the top teams seem to be tougher in the post position. We are a turnover machine and the jury is still out if we can guard against the three. Like the top five teams, we need to keep our top scorers on the floor. Right now it appears that Davis and Burrell need to stay on the floor as much as possible. Against any of the top five SEC teams we MUST bring our A game and really the only time, this year, we have bought our A game was against Indiana. We didn’t look bad against West Virginia but neither Indiana or West Virginia are as good as the SEC‘s top five teams.

Defensively I think we’re right there which means we should be in almost every game we play. Offensively we are not there yet. We just don’t have the balance we are going to need to outscore teams unless our bigs make a surprise improvement. At any given time we have two players on the floor who really aren’t a scoring threat. Makes us that much easier to defend.

Kentucky won tonight because the rest of the team played well while Howard was quiet early. Rennia/Rae aren’t going to have that luxury. For us to be successful Davis, Burrell, and Horston are almost certainly all going to have to be in double figures.

My prediction is that we lose several close games. None by more than 10 points and finish 5th in the league. We will beat at least one of the teams ranked above us currently. Best chance at Top 25 win will be Arkansas IMO. Our defense is better this season and we are going to crush them on the boards.

Last edited:
Don't have the inside play at a std high enough to compete with most of those teams who have high level insiders. Key gets pushed around easily and KK, well, she is what she is: sometimes decent, sometimes not so much. (and I'm trying to be kind here). If our other players had great games the weak inside play could be offset but it will be tough. Agree with above post, may not get blown out but a win will be tough.

Most of these teams like to pressure the ball either full or half court pressure. They will all look to speed the game up. We have some issues with throwing the ball to the wrong team when we are pressured. 5th in SEC maybe more than likely 6th. Hope I am wrong.

Defensively I think we’re right there which means we should be in almost every game we play. Offensively we are not there yet. We just don’t have the balance we are going to need to outscore teams unless our bigs make a surprise improvement. At any given time we have two players on the floor who really aren’t a scoring threat. Makes us that much easier to defend.

Kentucky won tonight because the rest of the team played well while Howard was quiet early. Rennia/Rae aren’t going to have that luxury. For us to be successful Davis, Burrell, and Horston are almost certainly all going to have to be in double figures.

My prediction is that we lose several close games. None by more than 10 points and finish 5th in the league. We will beat at least one of the teams ranked above us currently. Best chance at Top 25 win will be Arkansas IMO. Our defense is better this season and we are going to crush them on the boards.
Pretty much the above. Also turnovers will be key

Reactions: VolBall09
You are so right. With the exception of USC no one has better players than we do, they just need coached and I haven't seen that yet this year or even last year

I am hardest on the coaches because I am a coach.

You can have all the ingredients for cake and if the cook doesn't mix them right, it turns out cornbread

Coach K took a big step in growth over the last few games:
Letting her starters get a flow before interrupting them
getting into the faces of the zebras

She still has some distance to go, but if she stays the course, she will turn out to be the right choice.
I back Kellie, 100%
But that doesn't mean I will go soft on her,,,As she goes, this team will go

USC, Arkansas, Kentucky, MSTU and A&M appear to be the class of the Women’s SEC BB teams. My question is after watching these top SEC team, how do you feel the Lady Vols compare? We have some very good players, especially in the guard area. We seem to be weak in the post position, though KK has played strong in the last two games. Key has the shot blocking ability but makes a lot of foolish fouls. Key also has issues putting herself in position to rebound. All five of the top teams seem to be tougher in the post position. We are a turnover machine and the jury is still out if we can guard against the three. Like the top five teams, we need to keep our top scorers on the floor. Right now it appears that Davis and Burrell need to stay on the floor as much as possible. Against any of the top five SEC teams we MUST bring our A game and really the only time, this year, we have bought our A game was against Indiana. We didn’t look bad against West Virginia but neither Indiana or West Virginia are as good as the SEC‘s top five teams.

I think we are subbing too often and not getting "team chemistry" and that leads to all the foolish mistakes we are making. Need to go with a set lineup.

Reactions: teacherdean

You can have all the ingredients for cake and if the cook doesn't mix them right, it turns out cornbread

She still has some distance to go, but if she stays the course, she will turn out to be the right choice.
I back Kellie, 100%
Very astute post, Coach Jumper.

I think we are subbing too often and not getting "team chemistry" and that leads to all the foolish mistakes we are making. Need to go with a set lineup.
I heard Coach Kellie say in a press conference that she subs, in the manner you stated, in order to ensure that her bench is properly prepared to play when needed. I understand her reasoning. However, I agree with you that player substitution has to be practiced judiciously or it will create more problems than solutions.

We still have some problems with decision making. We also have a problem with the inside game. Key has huge potential she has length and size if she ever learns how to put them to use she will be a star player. I think from an athletic perspective were in the top three teams in the league. From a basketball skills perspective were in the middle. I thought we might go 10 and 6 or 9 and 7 in the league haven't seen anything to change my mind.

We still have some problems with decision making. We also have a problem with the inside game. Key has huge potential she has length and size if she ever learns how to put them to use she will be a star player. I think from an athletic perspective were in the top three teams in the league. From a basketball skills perspective were in the middle. I thought we might go 10 and 6 or 9 and 7 in the league haven't seen anything to change my mind.

I feel the same way. The fact we haven’t played an SEC game is tough. we have gotten to see the majority of other teams. But the game against indiana despite their layoff seemed to be a legit win. So that does make me feel a bit better about our girls being competitive and hanging in there. While they couldn’t finish Kentucky they gave them a good game for sure. But if they can play up and keep the competition competitive while learning to finish they will be good

Not much to add except to say that I’d feel much better about the rest of the season if Keyen and Jaiden were available. But then, I’m feeling hopeful that Kasi may have turned a corner and will blossom further as the season goes on and her confidence builds. She’s had moments of brilliance. On the other hand, our perimeter players are still, by my eye, just enough slower than most opponents that I fear it’ll continue to cost us. But we’ll soon see. I have NO doubt that this group of players will give their all.

I am with you on that. When I look at the top five SEC teams their number one top five players play the majority of the time. In reality we will have someone like Burrell get hot and suddenly she is pulled out of the game in favor of someone not known for their shooting ability. This in and out lineup worked for KJH at MOSTATE but this is not MOSTATE and this is not the Missouri Valley.

IMO this team will be fortunate to finish with a breakeven record in SEC play and will be fortunate if they get an invite to NCAA.It is possible to do better but they will need quantum improvement in Post Play and have hot offensive streaks by Davis and Burrell in those games....and that is problematic at this point in time in history since the offensive scheme does not appear to me to be built around those players....they have to hunt hard for their shots and if they are guarded well then the offense just does not function.

I am with you on that. When I look at the top five SEC teams their number one top five players play the majority of the time. In reality we will have someone like Burrell get hot and suddenly she is pulled out of the game in favor of someone not known for their shooting ability. This in and out lineup worked for KJH at MOSTATE but this is not MOSTATE and this is not the Missouri Valley.
I have posted something similar several times on this board.Seems to me that Coach Harper is bound and determined to play everyone on her bench come hell or high water .Now that may pay dividends some day....I am not one to predict when that day may come.This team is out of shape and right now has very little cohesion and chemistry ...reason is both covid interruption of games and practice and the horrible rotation of players who should be getting playing time together .....and I must add the offensive scheme to take advantage of the skill players we have to score the ball.

Last edited:
I have posted something similar several times on this board.Seems to me that Coach Harper is bound and determined to play everyone on her bench come hell or high water .Now that may pay dividends some day....I am not one to predict when that day may come.This team is out of shape and right now has very little cohesion and chemistry ...reason is both covid interruption of games and practice and the horrible rotation of players who should be getting playing time together .....and I must add the offensive scheme to take advantage of the skill players we have to score the ball.
Coach Kellie is following in the footsteps of her mentor, Pat Summitt, with her substitution policies. Pat gave playing time to her players according to her evaluation of their performance intensity in practice sessions. Her substitution procedures had very little to do with team cohesion or the talent or potential talent of one player over the other. She gave playing time to the players who practiced hard in her estimation. Pat valued individualist efforts that contributed to team success.

Coach Kellie is following in the footsteps of her mentor, Pat Summitt, with her substitution policies. Pat gave playing time to her players according to her evaluation of their performance intensity in practice sessions. Her substitution procedures had very little to do with team cohesion or the talent or potential talent of one player over the other. She gave playing time to the players who practiced hard in her estimation. Pat valued individualist efforts that contributed to team success.

She was also Pat Summitt. Bit different when you’re someone like Pat. Her teams won a lot because of her. She didn’t have to worry so much about who was on the floor because she was confident they were going to execute her game plan or they would be playing somewhere else.

Kellie isn’t there yet with this team. We don’t get consistent effort from the bench and that’s the problem. The bench should bring MORE energy, not less. I’m all about getting them live game minutes, but it shouldn’t come at the expense of the game flow. Her sub patterns completely wreck every run we go on. Player gets hot and she immediately gives them a break???

I back Kellie, 100%

I also think it's impossible for all of us, coaches included, to know how things go within the internal chemistry of a team. While coaches understand the Xs and Os of basketball, a coach on the outside looking in doesn't have the benefit of seeing what CKH sees, and knowing the players as Coach CKH does.
Not a knock on Coach Jumper as he brings great insight and info to the board, but none of us know or see what goes on behind the curtain on a daily basis.

Reactions: Bret178
I have posted something similar several times on this board.Seems to me that Coach Harper is bound and determined to play everyone on her bench come hell or high water.

Only against cupcakes, which has unfortunately been the majority of the schedule. Kellie shortened the bench considerably against West Virginia and Indiana, going with an 8 player rotation, and will likely stick with that while they go through the SEC gauntlet...

VN Store

Back