How do you rate Coach Pruitt...

PulaskiVolFan

going into his 2nd spring practice and will he and the team show incredible improvement in year 2 as many great coaches before him have?

Weak schedule, experienced team, talented newcomers and top notch staff. We're gonna win more than we lose next year I think and upset one of the big3 along the way. Results stunk last year but Coach Pruitt has done a bunch right in a short time. B+ but only because we had a losing record last year, win and it would have been an A.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
going into his 2nd spring practice and will he and the team show incredible improvement in year 2 as many great coaches before him have?

Weak schedule, experienced team, talented newcomers and top notch staff. We're gonna win more than we lose next year I think and upset one of the big3 along the way. Results stunk last year but Coach Pruitt has done a bunch right in a short time. B+ but only because we had a losing record last year, win and it would have been an A.
Expect a big jump in year two, very few coaches that don’t make that jump last past year 4 so everyone will know this year if Pruitt is the real deal. Still think 8 wins is the floor (and been blasted for it). 4 cupcakes is a given and going just 4-4 in the league is within reason imo. Friend will have that OL in much better shape if he follows his own history. Players can just instinctively play instead of having to overthink every play.

Can I be wrong? Yep, already missed the mark on recruiting. I predicted a top 5 class for Pruitt in what is called the bump class. Figured top 10 at worst, honestly surprised he didn’t hit top 10.:You are just selling your vision and a players dream of early, early playing time. Normally the bump class is the high mark for a coaches recruiting. Players don’t look at the play on the field. This year, they will. He must win on the field this year, if he does, think he will crack top 10.

Think UT beats UF this year. I predicted AU last year, for months.

My official rating will come out Early December of this year or the next......8 wins is good enough this year and in my mind should be possible. Next year should be better, followed by a YUGE run year after that. so we will see. So far my judgement is....jury is still out.

Reactions: Rooster1

Based on last season's record alone, about a C+. However, some things I perceive that are happening within the program and behind the scenes I'd score him a B+. S&C program appears to be firmly back in place with buy in from the players. Solid recruiting. Nice coaching hires. I wouldn't call next season's schedule "weak," but certainly is more manageable. I think we'll see a greatly improved football team with ceiling of 9-3 and a floor of 7-5, IMO.

A, will be A+ after this year. I keep saying it and haven’t said it since Kiffen. Pruitt is a real deal big league football coach! We will see improvement this year, we will see the most improvement year four when it’s a full team of Pruitts recruited players!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
A, will be A+ after this year. I keep saying it and haven’t said it since Kiffen. Pruitt is a real deal big league football coach! We will see improvement this year, we will see the most improvement year four when it’s a full team of Pruitts recruited players!

If year 4 is his most improved team he's not much of a coach.

Reactions: Titan05
Expect a big jump in year two, very few coaches that don’t make that jump last past year 4 so everyone will know this year if Pruitt is the real deal. Still think 8 wins is the floor (and been blasted for it). 4 cupcakes is a given and going just 4-4 in the league is within reason imo. Friend will have that OL in much better shape if he follows his own history. Players can just instinctively play instead of having to overthink every play.

Can I be wrong? Yep, already missed the mark on recruiting. I predicted a top 5 class for Pruitt in what is called the bump class. Figured top 10 at worst, honestly surprised he didn’t hit top 10.:You are just selling your vision and a players dream of early, early playing time. Normally the bump class is the high mark for a coaches recruiting. Players don’t look at the play on the field. This year, they will. He must win on the field this year, if he does, think he will crack top 10.

Think UT beats UF this year. I predicted AU last year, for months.
The size of the jump is proportional to the size of the hole. A jump of 10-11 teams is much more difficult than a jump of 2-3 teams. I takes a lot more dirt to fill a 50 by 50 meter pool than a 20 by 20 pool. We are swimming in the largest pool in Division 1. I think last year we were at the 20 by 20 capacity and that this Fall we will be at the 35 by 35 pool. Progress is being made and it appears that progress will also continue next year. I can hardly wait for September and the 2020 recruiting class.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster1
Expect a big jump in year two, very few coaches that don’t make that jump last past year 4 so everyone will know this year if Pruitt is the real deal.

I'd partly disagree with the underlined part. There have been a lot of great coaches that have shown big improvement in Year 2 (Saban, Smart, Pete Carroll ,etc), but it's hardly a universal rule (see Dabo Swinney, Jim Harbaugh at Stanford, Barry Alvarez). Normally the "2nd year surge" happens in a situation where a coach inherits a relatively talented roster that was poorly coached. Part of our roster fits that description, but in other areas, Pruitt didn't really inherit that much. The O-line situation was pretty awful when he got here, partly due to Butch's poor development, but also due to poor luck with injuries. Butch also left a dropoff in talent at D-line for Year 2.

I'd target 2020 as the year where we start to really learn more about Pruitt. At that point, Pruitt will have had more time to recruit and develop the O- and D- lines. If we win 8 games this season, we're ahead of schedule.

No idea. I really like Jeremy, like his approach, love his pedigree. Last year was a bit discouraging, but it’s tough and unfair to judge him given the roster and culture he inherited. Wish we’d seen the team get steadily better through the year, unfortunately that didn’t happen and gave me pause. But he definitely deserves some patience and a couple to 3 more years to have success.

(A) because he inherited the worst roster in UT football history.

Hyperbole much? He inherited about what Butch inherited.

In any event, I will know what I need to know about Pruitt by November. If he is going to be anything big, we will see improvement this season.

Even Butch managed to move upward through Year 3. I expect that Pruitt should be better than Butch.

(A) because he inherited the worst roster in UT football history.

In September 2017, a 4 win UT team and 4 win UF were tied with 10 seconds to go in Gainesville. In 2018, one team was in NY6 game destroying Michigan while another lost chance at bowl by quitting against Vandy...

Seems like we just did this.

I think he gets an A for staff changes this year. B- for recruiting this year. D for everything last season. But as far as I'm concerned, last season is over and as long as we see some significant improvement, last year will be forgotten. By me anyway. And I'm confident we will see significant improvement.

VN Store

Back