How do we fire our scheduler?

Think about the confidence the team would have if they were to beat Ohio st, Oklahoma or Oregon. And if we are truly trying to get back to relevance we have to start winning these games. I have no problem with scheduling tough opponents. Its a measuring stick for us. Helps in recruiting (with a win) and there’s a good chance neyland will sell out( which will also help in recruiting once they figure out how to compensate players)

I don't give a damn about Clempson except cheering for them to beat bammer. We're talking about the Tennessee Volunteers and our long, proud storied history of playing good intersectional games.

And where exactly has that gotten us? There's nothing to be gained from it. I know, I like the games where top teams play each other too, but if we're being honest it doesn't help.

If we go undefeated and win the SECCG we'll be ranked number 1, regardless of who we play OOC because of who we've had to beat in conference.

Now let's say we're a middling bowl level team. Will the bowl games look more favorably at a 8-4 team with weak OOC or 7-5 with a loss to a good OOC team? The 8-4 team will get the better bowl.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but it's the honest one. These big OOC games don't help us.

Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

Honestly!!! Alabama plays Duke and we play Oklahoma. It should be swapped.

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.
When did we schedule Ohio State?

Or maybe you can nut up and actually challenge yourself in the non-conference.

Like dumping water on a drowning person? Tennessee has enough of a challenge with in-conference teams. Getting blown out by 50+ by Oregon (Twice) did little to booster our recruiting efforts or team confidence. I agree 100% with the OP. Mid-major OOC competition should suffice.

I’ll take it a step further. We should dump the yearly AL game also. It benefits us little with the current state of our program. At some point we have to make our own history. Let’s replace AL with Ole Miss or Arkansas.

Like dumping water on a drowning person? Tennessee has enough of a challenge with in-conference teams. Getting blown out by 50+ by Oregon (Twice) did little to booster our recruiting efforts or team confidence. I agree 100% with the OP. Mid-major OOC competition should suffice.

I’ll take it a step further. We should dump the yearly AL game also. It benefits us little with the current state of our program. At some point we have to make our own history. Let’s replace AL with Ole Miss or Arkansas.

I don't see your logic in dumping our most hated rival. What does make our own history mean?

Reactions: rikberry31
Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.
Dang man, you need some cheese with your whine

Reactions: bamawriter

I can agree with this part.

Would be nice to see the Vols playing some more traditional powers.

I used to disagree with this but now I agree. There is zero benefit to scheduling tough OOC competition. Ohio State was the number one team in the playoff rankings coming into this week while having played Noone to this point. We have Georgia and Bama on our schedule, no need to make it more difficult.
And Florida

Reactions: UTwild82

I like that we are trying to upgrade our teams to play with top tier schools. There is an old saying, "Iron sharpens iron." If we want to be recognized as a top ten program then we must learn to play and act like a top ten team. Even if we are defeated you gain recognition and respect.

Reactions: feathersax

I wish we would play a traditional OOC power program every year. I hate the cupcake games. I actually like what Saban said in power 5 only playing power 5 programs. Every week would have more interesting games. Plus if we play at least one big OOC opponent a year then every other year we get to go to a fun away game.

Reactions: CampBlount
Bama is going to playoffs most likely if they win out.
This could get real interesting. I am watching how this plays out. Say Ohio state, LSU, and Clemson ask win out and win their conference championship games... there are three of the four playoff teams... then it gets interesting...

What about a one loss Oregon team that only lost their first game of the season on a last second play (if they win the Pac-10)?

What about an undefeated Baylor team if they win out from the Big-12?

What happens if UGA beats LSU in a close SEC championship game? Do those two 1-loss teams make it? Does LSU get penalized for making the championship game by having BAMA jump them?

This could get quite interesting, but I believe BAMA needs some other teams to lose in order to make it.

Reactions: feathersax
When we are REGULARLY having 10 win seasons and the discussion is about strength of schedule impacting our final ranking Would have been #8 but lower SoS made us #11, etc)- THEN AND ONLY THEN does it make sense to play tough OOC games. Otherwise, save that strength to go undefeated IN CONFERENCE.

You may say "just win them" because you are short sighted and think with your dick. We all want to win tough games but they come at a cost, usually in injuries and worn out players. That makes it less likely to win an SEC championship and that is the first and primary goal every year.

Until we are 4 deep with 4*s at almost all positions, it is strategically stupid to have anything but cupcakes OOC. Instead, rack up the wins and crush top OOC programs in a top bowl game. THAT is the only time that kind of thing matters.

source.gif

Womp womp. What a pathetic take.

Such a weak thing to say. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

VN Store

Back