How are we going to recruit offensive players?

VolTexas

I don't see how. Maybe if they show a glimmer of hope?

OC does not look as competent as many potential recruits might like.

They need to show they know what they are doing sometime.

Apparently Pruitt was telling the team they were equal to Charlotte. By gawd they believed him.

Pruitt has had top level talent everywhere he’s been.
If he thinks a Bama like roster is going to appear he’s crazy. They are going to have to coach lower tier players and get more out of them.
Based on his current recruiting, he’s not going to have Saban like results. Great coaches do more with less.

Maybe these top level recruits have a much higher football I Q than these glass half empty posters on here, and realize the effect a jr college O line has on an SEC team

No one really thinks Helton has done a terrible job, aside from fans that can't separate production from playcalling like this is Madden or something.
Exactly. If a play works it's a great call. If it fails it was a crappy call.
Most of UT's play haven't worked because the OL can't block Charlotte's DL/LB....much less an SEC team's.

They need an oline. Helton is a good offensive coordinator, he just needs a line to work behind. Instant playing time is how you recruit offensive players with the current situation.

Reactions: feathersax
All we need is linemen and we’ll be good. It looks like we may have some really good ones coming in next year.
That's just one year. What Vol fans are gonna have trouble accepting is that won't establish depth. Until several recruiting cycles pass and a good S&C program starts showing results there's gonna be a drop-off in athletic ability when substitutions are made during games. We're talking about a process of 3-4 years,IMO.
I'm in favor of trying to get a fast-footed, mobile, QB just to take the heat off the linemen but that doesn't appear to be in the plans. Not having a good blocking line may impact any highly rated QB's decision to consider enrolling at UT.

Pruitt has had top level talent everywhere he’s been.
If he thinks a Bama like roster is going to appear he’s crazy. They are going to have to coach lower tier players and get more out of them.
Based on his current recruiting, he’s not going to have Saban like results. Great coaches do more with less.

Yes! This is why it's so disconcerting to hear him blame the players. As far as I can tell, he's never coached anything but Top 5 recruiting talent -- and never as a head coach. It's awfully convenient to blame the players. But I think most of our fans have reasonable expectations for the kind of improvement we had hoped to see by now: line up right and snap the ball, tackle with technique and play with discipline. That's still a problem at this point in the season. And that's coaching.

Yes! This is why it's so disconcerting to hear him blame the players. As far as I can tell, he's never coached anything but Top 5 recruiting talent -- and never as a head coach. It's awfully convenient to blame the players. But I think most of our fans have reasonable expectations for the kind of improvement we had hoped to see by now: line up right and snap the ball, tackle with technique and play with discipline. That's still a problem at this point in the season. And that's coaching.

I know for sure that he has taught the OL to block the guy in front of them. How many times this season do we watch guys fly in untouched? I've never seen anything like it. It's almost as if they are teaching them not to touch the guy in front of them. In the press conferences he preaches effort and doing things the right way but our OL, physically outmatched or not, simply has not made the right effort and often obvious decisions to block the man right in front of them. The TE position has been just as bad.

Reactions: Hacksaw and VolInNW
I know for sure that he has taught the OL to block the guy in front of them. How many times this season do we watch guys fly in untouched? I've never seen anything like it. It's almost as if they are teaching them not to touch the guy in front of them. In the press conferences he preaches effort and doing things the right way but our OL, physically outmatched or not, simply has not made the right effort and often obvious decisions to block the man right in front of them. The TE position has been just as bad.

Yes. So many times I have seen Richmond et al simply watch (or even move out of the way) as a DL or LB goes running by them. That isn’t play calling. That is Lyle Jones’ culture still on this team.

Time will tell. I’m not sold either way.

Reactions: OnceAVol
Yes. So many times I have seen Richmond et al simply watch (or even move out of the way) as a DL or LB goes running by them. That isn’t play calling. That is Lyle Jones’ culture still on this team.

If Jones' "culture" is still affecting Pruitt's team (and I'm not necessarily agreeing with you that it is), then Pruitt isn't doing the job he is being paid to do.

Guys like Carvin and Jahmir Johnson were never coached by Jones.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Right now 4 OL committed: 5* OT, 4* OG, 3* OT, a 3* OG, and we lead for a second 5* OT. Not too shabby.

OL is a difinite a need and the recruiting is excellent for this class, but I'm concerned about the DL and lack if high quality recruits in this class. Maybe he is going the junior college route or possibly he likes the younger guys, but they just need developing and S/C in the off season.

If I were a 5 Star O Lineman, this is the first place I would want to come. I'm not used to sitting on the bench. I can earn a starting job my Freshman year? Where do I sign up?

In the short term - we don't.
Look at Saban's tenure at every place he has been.
Also, Dabo, Bowden, Meyer, Fulmer, and just about every other successful head coach in the last 30 years.
They all started with recruiting and bringing massive, fast, super-talented linemen.

Once the line holds, you'll get great RBs and QBs come in because they know they can operate and put up Heisman-like numbers behind a great OL.
WRs typically follow great QBs.

This is the road map CJP is following.

VN Store

Back