How are we going to recruit offensive players?

I don't see how. Maybe if they show a glimmer of hope?

OC does not look as competent as many potential recruits might like.

They need to show they know what they are doing sometime.

We will use a tape measure to measure the length of their nose hair.

If it is over eight inches long, we will take them as truly "offensive".

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Well, let’s see. Evaluate their physical abilities via film, camps, live games. Make the requisite number of visits to their homes and high schools to get to know the players, their families, coaches and decision makers. Then, extend them an offer, get them on campus as often as possible via unofficial and official visits. Knock the in-home visit out of the park and close hard. If a bag man is needed then so be it. Uhhh, did I miss anything?

Sure looked like they knew what they were doing second half vs Georgia, all day long vs Auburn and vs SCar. We’ve got MAC/OVC OLs playing vs SEC DLs. Once we fix that, we’ll be 90% better imho.

Offensive recruits have seen enough of what our offense can be in spurts to understand what they’d be getting in they come here. The top Offensive tackle in the country Wanya Morris has verball committed and seems only more strongly committed with each passing week despite our offensive (specifically our OLine) struggles. Same goes for QB commit Mauer, WR commit Keyton, et al.

Don’t think it’s the problem you think it is.

Exactly. If a play works it's a great call. If it fails it was a crappy call.
Most of UT's play haven't worked because the OL can't block Charlotte's DL/LB....much less an SEC team's.
A run between the tackles is like the most conservative type of play there is. Not much homerun potential, but positive yards.

This is the only team I've ever seen consistently lose 4 and 5 yards on runs between the tackles. It's honestly impressive.

You can blame coaching for that, but not play calling.

I thought Helton called a great game against USC. Then I got on here and found out I was the only one.

Reactions: Smokeyman
You have to sell them on a "vision," which is difficult. These aren't 35-year-old seasoned professionals with a long term view. They are 17 or 18-year-old kids.

I don't know if anybody here watches that Sunday night call-in show with Troy Fleming and Swain, but it actually has some good insights and they discussed this exact topic a few weeks ago. The host of the show wondered aloud something to the effect of "how in the world does a team like Tennessee attempt to recruit against Alabama, Georgia, etc."

Fleming said you have to focus on guys who think a little differently from most of the highly-touted recruits who are out there. Say you're talking to a 4 or 5-star who also has offers from Alabama, Georgia, etc. and is strongly considering them. Not all of these kids are going to be receptive to this argument - in fact, probably a small minority are going to even hear this argument out. But you have to try and sell the recruit on that if he goes to one of those schools, he's simply going to be an anonymous cog in the machine. Alabama will be an elite team with or without you, and your individual impact won't be noticed. You also likely will not get immediate playing time. If you arrive on campus and it takes you a little longer than others for things to "click," you'll be completely lost in the shuffle. You're a guy with a number on his back, an interchangeable part. A little fish in a big pond.

Some highly touted kids, while of course wanting to play in big games, win titles, and eventually make the NFL, also want to "be somebody" at the school they go to. They want to play for a good team, but they want that team to be good, at least in part, because of them. They are receptive to the stereotypical Millennial "I want to make an impact" thing, and you have to convince them that at Alabama, your presence or lack of presence there won't be noticed.

It's certainly an uphill battle, because of course Alabama's counterargument is that you'll consistently play in games of national interest, Alabama always gets national attention, and if you have a good career there straight to an NFL contract in 3 years. Fleming also said, and this surprised me, that not all highly-touted recruits want to play immediately. More players than you'd think get on campus, are a little intimidated, and actually would rather sit out a year, get acclimated to college ball, and get bigger/faster/stronger. The "you'll play immediately" pitch doesn't work on those kids, obviously.

You are going to have to find the hidden gems in some 3 and 4 star recruits until you can build up enough reputation and winning to really get in the eyes of the 4 and 5 star players. I don't know if transfers are the answer either.

Reactions: governmentmule

Stop already! Please tell me what qualifies you...or most of those other self-imposed gridiron prognosticators...to determine after such a short time the capabilities of anybody on this staff with such a sporadically talented and under-developed group of players to work with? Do the world a favor and don't have kids and don't own pets. This football program is going to improve. Will y'all?

OC isn't the problem and there are plenty of kids who will recognize that. UT's starting OL is probably 20-30 lbs light and do not make up for it with athleticism. They were poorly developed because Jones thought he would reinvent SEC football with his system and different methods and goals for development.

So how do you recruit? Any upper tier OL has an opportunity to start as a FR AND do well. The only two guys who probably can't be beaten out on O by a really talented Fr... may both go pro (Jennings and Callaway).

SOOOOOO... you do it like Jones the used car salesman did it. You point to the wide open depth chart and truthfully say that every position is open. Except now... this staff can point to rings to prove that they've developed players to a championship level.

Stop already! Please tell me what qualifies you...or most of those other self-imposed gridiron prognosticators...to determine after such a short time the capabilities of anybody on this staff with such a sporadically talented and under-developed group of players to work with? Do the world a favor and don't have kids and don't own pets. This football program is going to improve. Will y'all?
I did not even see the post as negative, huh?

Well, the first step is to line up our existing OL against Charlotte's DL and allow the recruits to watch the performance of our current talent.
The 5 OL recruits we're going after could start right now on our OL and do better than this bunch... THAT'S HOW....

Thank God that recruits know more about our talent level and what's actually happening along the LOS than you.

Pocket passers must have a good OL.
Dual-threat (legitimate) QBs can succeed with a decent OL and keep games respectable with sub-par OL.
Recruit both every year until recruiting and S&C can enable "your system" and you can go with whatever passer style fits.

Utilize Junior College (where possible) in your first 2 years to stabilize and at least get the power of maturing muscles on your side (i.e. 21 yr olds rather than 18 yr olds)

Exactly. If a play works it's a great call. If it fails it was a crappy call.
Most of UT's play haven't worked because the OL can't block Charlotte's DL/LB....much less an SEC team's.

True but to pretend the OC isnt responsible for thebO line baffles me. Do you guys think he just calls plays and works with the "skill" positions?

If the O line doesnt know who to block the OC is at minimum partially responsible. Obviously the O line coach has a very big hand in their failure nor success also but just as the HC is ultimately responsible for the entire team the OC is responsible for the entire offense.

The playstation mentality of some of our fans that the OC just draws up cool plays and tries to trick the DC of the other team is pretty far off base of how it works in reality.

With and OL and DL line that is SEC quality were not at Bamas level of this year but we can match up with anyone else in the conference I believe. When you have a below average OL it kills your offense no matter the skill of your other players. Same with the DL if they are below average your entire defense will suffer. With the skill players we have coming back I think we can win a lot of games if we find a remedy for the OL. If we get those two five star guys look for them to play immediately as freshmen.

True but to pretend the OC isnt responsible for thebO line baffles me. Do you guys think he just calls plays and works with the "skill" positions?

If the O line doesnt know who to block the OC is at minimum partially responsible. Obviously the O line coach has a very big hand in their failure nor success also but just as the HC is ultimately responsible for the entire team the OC is responsible for the entire offense.

The playstation mentality of some of our fans that the OC just draws up cool plays and tries to trick the DC of the other team is pretty far off base of how it works in reality.
I agree to a point. But, I see Linemen in the right place and getting boatraced at the point of attack. That is just talent.

Reactions: rkvdg

VN Store

Back