Hot Seat Article- Butch Jones again edition

The one lasting image of Butch, for me, will always be the one of him with the Bama players and cigars after they beat us the following year he was terminated.
see I hate this criticism.

If your old job fires you for doing an absolutely terrible job, and then you get a new job at a lesser pay scale at the competition, how would you respond in beating them? Yes even though your proteges and coworkers are still there, and yes even though they still paying you severance.

Every. single. coach. would do the exact same thing. every person worried about the long term aspects in that any industry would do the exact same thing.

if saban is fired tomorrow, we pick him up as an analyst, and he smokes a cigar after we smoke Bama at their place, I would not hold it against him.

If your old job fires you for doing an absolutely terrible job, and then you get a new job at a lesser pay scale at the competition, how would you respond in beating them? Yes even though your proteges and coworkers are still there, and yes even though they still paying you severance.

Every. single. coach. would do the exact same thing. every person worried about the long term aspects in that any industry would do the exact same thing.

if saban is fired tomorrow, we pick him up as an analyst, and he smokes a cigar after we smoke Bama at their place, I would not hold it against him.

It may be that I’m different than most but no, I would not have done the same in a work environment. This would be for three reasons: One, poor taste. I would look bitter as he did and thus would not have nor do that. Two, it would show that bad taste again as it displayed that I cared. That in itself may not be bad but, after being paid millions, why should he (I)? Three, it showed poor taste and will be a lasting memory of negativity and I would have understood that.

Butch “could” have become a good HC if he had listened to his assistants instead of micromanaging the whole team.

His ego didn’t allow him to adapt to SEC play from the Big East.

Had he changed, he probably would still be our HC right now.

Butch will always go down as the guy who had all the pieces to win a Championship but failed miserably.
This it in a nutshell!
Butch could have grown and become a better coach. He never learned lessons or improved.
He was EXACTLY the same coach the day he was fired as the day he was hired.
The good ones grow into the bigger job.

Reactions: tbh
It may be that I’m different than most but no, I would not have done the same in a work environment. This would be for three reasons: One, poor taste. I would look bitter as he did and thus would not have nor do that. Two, it would show that bad taste again as it displayed that I cared. That in itself may not be bad but, after being paid millions, why should he (I)? Three, it showed poor taste and will be a lasting memory of negativity and I would have understood that.
Its in poor taste to participate in the new job's work culture? Its in poor taste to celebrate a win with the new company? I am saying its not. We fired him. We ended any and all ties he had to UT.

Did Doug Dickey exhibit poor taste celebrating Tennessee's wins as AD over Florida where he used to coach? Would he have been exhibiting poor taste to celebrate his Florida wins over Tennessee? you could go down and do just about any coach.

Is Heupel showing off bad taste celebrating our wins vs Mizzou? What if we played and beat UCF or Oklahoma?

Its in poor taste to participate in the new job's work culture? Its in poor taste to celebrate a win with the new company? I am saying its not. We fired him. We ended any and all ties he had to UT.

Did Doug Dickey exhibit poor taste celebrating Tennessee's wins as AD over Florida where he used to coach? Would he have been exhibiting poor taste to celebrate his Florida wins over Tennessee? you could go down and do just about any coach.

Is Heupel showing off bad taste celebrating our wins vs Mizzou? What if we played and beat UCF or Oklahoma?

Did you see Saban act that way when his Bama team beat LSU? Did CJH act that way when he beat Mizzou?

You are calling it celebrating and, I assume it is but, for one, it’s not like he had any major role in their win. Two, no e of those you mentioned acted trashy or in bad taste in any celebration-that I’m aware of.

What about him putting a Bama helmet in his walk in closet when he had his Knoxville house for sale and it was staged for photos and listed on Realtor and Zillow? Kind of a bitch move.

Did you see Saban act that way when his Bama team beat LSU? Did CJH act that way when he beat Mizzou?

You are calling it celebrating and, I assume it is but, for one, it’s not like he had any major role in their win. Two, no e of those you mentioned acted trashy or in bad taste in any celebration-that I’m aware of.
how is smoking a cigar with players trashy or in bad taste? As far as I have seen he waited until he was in the lockerroom or out of most of the public eye. both sides do it when they win. for some reason its only trashy when one guy does it. Its not like he gave them a play book, or took cheap shots at our players that went out of bounds over there.

I have never seen Saban really celebrate much of anything, and Bama LSU doesn't have a cigar celebration. And yes I saw Heupel celebrating wins over Mizzou, again not the cigars because thats not the tradition with Mizzou. but jumping up and down with the players, hugging, heck he might have even gone over to the band and done the Waltz, oooooooo wouldn't that be in bad taste.

What about him putting a Bama helmet in his walk in closet when he had his Knoxville house for sale and it was staged for photos and listed on Realtor and Zillow? Kind of a bitch move.
I mean my God, his LinkedIn Profile was probably updated with a Bama background before he sold the house; and thats a trashy as it gets. Its like hanging out in high school again, "OMG he only said 'Hi', thats trashy, he knows to say 'Good Morning your highness'".

Did he have the job? And of course you fricking stage your house and take pictures, he is trying to sell it! I would actually be pretty surprised if it was Butch who actually did it. could be the wife or one of his kids pissed at UT about, oh I don't know, him being fired? Could have been the stagers or the real estate agent with a bone to pick with UT. or heck it could have even been a way to screw Butch in a UT market, no one wanting the stink of bama.

Seriously you Karens are reaching for ANYTHING to be upset over.

I mean my God, his LinkedIn Profile was probably updated with a Bama background before he sold the house; and thats a trashy as it gets. Its like hanging out in high school again, "OMG he only said 'Hi', thats trashy, he knows to say 'Good Morning your highness'".

Did he have the job? And of course you fricking stage your house and take pictures, he is trying to sell it! I would actually be pretty surprised if it was Butch who actually did it. could be the wife or one of his kids pissed at UT about, oh I don't know, him being fired? Could have been the stagers or the real estate agent with a bone to pick with UT. or heck it could have even been a way to screw Butch in a UT market, no one wanting the stink of bama.

Seriously you Karens are reaching for ANYTHING to be upset over.

Just calling it like I saw it. There was an article about it. Found it odd that a Bama helmet would be placed in the photos . Judging by his previous actions that took place during his demise as coach, his firing, his taking $30k as an “intern” for Bama, his photo ops, I guess it wasn’t really surprising. Honestly, I really DGAF about Butch or what he does. Certainly not anywhere near as much as you do. I also disagree with your statement that other coaches would handle the situation similarly to Butch. A lot of coaches may be upset or disgruntled that they were fired, but a lot of coaches wouldn’t take celebratory post game photos that were the equivalent of showing up the kids that they had coached and recruited and made promises to. I thought it was in bad taste. Pretty much par for the course though.

A coach is selling whoever is paying him. It’s part of the job. I agree with Louder. Most coaches would do exactly what Lyle did

Reactions: LouderVol

Not only that, but Saban was several years removed from coaching at LSU so the LSU players Bama beat weren't the ones Saban recruited. To me that is the worst part is that he's celebrating defeating the very same players that he recruited to Tennessee.

Butch “could” have become a good HC if he had listened to his assistants instead of micromanaging the whole team.

His ego didn’t allow him to adapt to SEC play from the Big East.

Had he changed, he probably would still be our HC right now.

Butch will always go down as the guy who had all the pieces to win a Championship but failed miserably.
That was never in him... and there was every reason to know it before he was hired.

A coach is selling whoever is paying him. It’s part of the job. I agree with Louder. Most coaches would do exactly what Lyle did
Unless I missed something... almost none do. He used his payoff from UT to work as a flunky for Saban. Best I can tell, most coaches try to get a real gig. Even Pruitt found a job in the NFL as did Dooley.

Not really sure why folks defend Jones so much. He was a jerk. He was a terrible coach.

Just calling it like I saw it. There was an article about it. Found it odd that a Bama helmet would be placed in the photos . Judging by his previous actions that took place during his demise as coach, his firing, his taking $30k as an “intern” for Bama, his photo ops, I guess it wasn’t really surprising. Honestly, I really DGAF about Butch or what he does. Certainly not anywhere near as much as you do. I also disagree with your statement that other coaches would handle the situation similarly to Butch. A lot of coaches may be upset or disgruntled that they were fired, but a lot of coaches wouldn’t take celebratory post game photos that were the equivalent of showing up the kids that they had coached and recruited and made promises to. I thought it was in bad taste. Pretty much par for the course though.
if they were hired by a team that directly beat the old team I would bet real money they would.

and how is taking a picture showing someone up? I would get it being showing them up if he wasn't part of Bama's coaching staff, and he was celebrating someone else's win. that would be trashy. but he was involved, the bama team was his team.

in this age with all the analysts and coaches going into "rehab" its got to happen a bunch.

you only think its trashy because it happened to us.

Reactions: volfanbill
Unless I missed something... almost none do. He used his payoff from UT to work as a flunky for Saban. Best I can tell, most coaches try to get a real gig. Even Pruitt found a job in the NFL as did Dooley.

Not really sure why folks defend Jones so much. He was a jerk. He was a terrible coach.

That’s a totally different argument. But defending him and just being realistic are two completely different things

if they were hired by a team that directly beat the old team I would bet real money they would.

and how is taking a picture showing someone up? I would get it being showing them up if he wasn't part of Bama's coaching staff, and he was celebrating someone else's win. that would be trashy. but he was involved, the bama team was his team.

in this age with all the analysts and coaches going into "rehab" its got to happen a bunch.

Honestly, I’m really not trying to have a debate with you about this. I thought it was just kind of embarrassing for him. I view it as a “if you can’t beat ‘em join em” thing for Butch. He smoked a cigar after the game as an “Intern” (Saban’s words) like he did something. I don’t even think he was allowed to have an active headset on the sideline. I always felt like Butch had to make things about himself, and in that instance I felt like that’s what he was doing.

I’m not trying to be a “Karen” about stuff. I really don’t even think about Butch. I just happened to recall some of the things that happened after he was fired and how I interpreted them.

Reactions: 05_never_again
That’s a totally different argument. But defending him and just being realistic are two completely different things
Realistic about what? He got fired. He milked his buyout while being a flunky for Saban. And grinned like a jackass while smoking a cigar after Bama beat the program that was still paying him big money. Yeah. He's a major league piece of crap. Maybe you can show me another coach who did that?

Butch Jones wasn't a member of the Alabama coaching staff.

Butch Jones was just an "analyst", who Alabama was paying $35K per year. He was only peripherally involved, as a glorified intern. It was a charade to help him circumvent the terms of his buyout. It was all about getting every dime he could from Tennessee. Butch Jones made no effort to mitigate the cost of the buyout, as that clause in his contract stipulated.

Ok, Butch you’ve made your point. I still think you are a douche bag nonetheless.

Honestly, I’m really not trying to have a debate with you about this. I thought it was just kind of embarrassing for him. I view it as a “if you can’t beat ‘em join em” thing for Butch. He smoked a cigar after the game as an “Intern” (Saban’s words) like he did something. I don’t even think he was allowed to have an active headset on the sideline. I always felt like Butch had to make things about himself, and in that instance I felt like that’s what he was doing.

I’m not trying to be a “Karen” about stuff. I really don’t even think about Butch. I just happened to recall some of the things that happened after he was fired and how I interpreted them.
Peyton lit up in the locker room this year. had nothing to do with the win. had nothing to do with the team besides being a fan and alum. didn't wear a headset. took pictures in the locker room with players. Was Peyton making it about himself? Was he being trashy?

I get not liking Butch, he sucked and deserved to be fired. a picture someone else took of him is not a good reason to dislike him.

Peyton lit up in the locker room this year. had nothing to do with the win. had nothing to do with the team besides being a fan and alum. didn't wear a headset. took pictures in the locker room with players. Was Peyton making it about himself? Was he being trashy?

I get not liking Butch, he sucked and deserved to be fired. a picture someone else took of him is not a good reason to dislike him.
Was Peyton being paid by Alabama? Did Peyton recruit many of the Alabama players? Was Peyton largely responsible for Alabama not having a very good defense? You aren't comparing apples to apples.

Tennessee treated Butch Jones pretty well, by never making an issue of the lack of effort he made to mitigate the cost of his buyout to Tennessee. Arkansas stopped paying Bret Bielemma under similar circumstances.

VN Store

Back