Hooray!! Clay Travis is GONE....

VN has become one big butthurt factory

It's amazing. Knoxville sports radio is painful. I guess people just want smoke blowers. I'm a die hard Vols fan, but I would jump out of a window if I had to listen to Vols football talk by the likes of Hyams and Hooker all day. The national personalities on The Zone in Nashville keep most days fresh and interesting. There's only so much I can hear about the 2016 Vols recruiting class.

Reactions: 3 people
It's not the "objectivity" or the "rationality" that got under the skin. It was the "shock jock" mentality of his shtick. He purposefully tried to be acerbic to drive numbers. While he claimed it worked, most of the time I turned it off when he went on one of those tirades. He has no humility whatsoever; he's never wrong (ask him); and he argues with strawmen constantly. Too much pop culture; not enough sports.

When he offered opinion on law, he was decent.

WAY too many big words for VN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Same. Will probably replace him with Hutton, or Withrow

I could see Withrow if it's one of the two. Hutton seems to drive the ship on The Midday. But chemistry is so important, I almost wonder if they will bring in an unknown.

My only real criticisms of him were one that at times he acted like a teenager when it came to certain hot topics, i.e. his obession with everything Johnny Manziel, James Franklin, and even Bruce Pearl.

And two for someone who can dish it out, he really can't take it. The classic example is the build-up to the 2011 UT/Vandy game, where he joked UT should have bought out the Vandy game, acted like Vandy would kill UT, etc. Then when UT wins suddenly he thought it was so pathetic how UT fans were celebrating beating Vandy, especially after he kept getting called out.

Reactions: 2 people
My only real criticisms of him were one that at times he acted like a teenager when it came to certain hot topics, i.e. his obession with everything Johnny Manziel, James Franklin, and even Bruce Pearl.

And two for someone who can dish it out, he really can't take it. The classic example is the build-up to the 2011 UT/Vandy game, where he joked UT should have bought out the Vandy game, acted like Vandy would kill UT, etc. Then when UT wins suddenly he thought it was so pathetic how UT fans were celebrating beating Vandy, especially after he kept getting called out.

Travis hated Dooley. Loved Pearl. Sound like anybody else on this board?

Also made Franklin so mad that he hung up on the 3HL early on. I think Travis tried to make nice with Franklin more than actually liking Vandy...

I really don't dislike Travis. I wish 3HL would focus a bit more, but if it gets them ratings, then they must be doing something right.

But I think it's a little tasteless to air your dirty laundry with your employer out into the open. Especially quoting the proposed bump in salary. A lot of Travis' listeners/readers would be psyched about a $5,000 raise. I understand that he does well, and he's worked to earn it, but whining about such things in public is really unprofessional, and quite rude.

So not a fan of Travis or Kuharsky? They made/make their respective shows interesting. If you want a glimpse of what talk radio sounds like when everyone agrees with each other, just listen to some TSR podcasts.

Knoxville radio is AWFUL.

I really don't dislike Travis. I wish 3HL would focus a bit more, but if it gets them ratings, then they must be doing something right.

But I think it's a little tasteless to air your dirty laundry with your employer out into the open. Especially quoting the proposed bump in salary. A lot of Travis' listeners/readers would be psyched about a $5,000 raise. I understand that he does well, and he's worked to earn it, but whining about such things in public is really unprofessional, and quite rude.

When you have tens of thousands of fans/listeners/readers/etc you don't just bounce without an explanation. Radio negotiations are an ugly business and they often end like this.

No one would care if you or I turned down a $5k bump in pay.

When you have tens of thousands of fans/listeners/readers/etc you don't just bounce without an explanation. Radio negotiations are an ugly business and they often end like this.

No one would care if you or I turned down a $5k bump in pay.

All you have to say is "We held negotiations, and we couldn't reach an agreement." No further detail needed, and everyone who would want an explanaition would understand.

But that's just my 2 cents. Travis is a grown man and can do whatever he wants. I simply don't care for the way he handled it.

Bingo. When he wasn't resorting to these antics, he was fine.

All you have to say is "We held negotiations, and we couldn't reach an agreement." No further detail needed, and everyone who would want an explanaition would understand.

But that's just my 2 cents. Travis is a grown man and can do whatever he wants. I simply don't care for the way he handled it.

Valid point. I don't deny he's an ass, so I guess it just doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't handle it this way either.

Maybe they'll actually start discussing sports for more than 30 minutes of a 3 hour "sports talk" show.

This.

His idiotic rabbit trails grew old. Id be fine if they carried on with the 2 remaining and didn't add anyone else if they have to resemble him.

What can I say? I'm envious of Clay. He basically copied Paul Finebaum's schtick and took it online.

Most popular radio or talk show personalities are viewed or listened to longer by people that report not liking them. I find listening to none of them the most refreshing alternative. There is very little real sports to discuss on any show.

I liked listening to him, he pretty much told it like it is...or I should say, how he saw it. Definitely opinionated and blunt, which can come across as arrogant and cocky. Maybe he actually is, I wouldn't know as I've never met him. Either way, I liked him. Hopefully he'll do well.

Reactions: 2 people
Big mistake by Cumulus. He's an acquired taste, but I listened everyday.

You really don't have their numbers to know this to be true. He may have outgrown what they could actually offer. Him blabbing the numbers says at least in his own mind he had.

You really don't have their numbers to know this to be true. He may have outgrown what they could actually offer. Him blabbing the numbers says at least in his own mind he had.

He's undoubtedly worth more than a $5k raise to Cumulus. That's a certainty.

But yes, I have no idea if he's worth what he was actually asking for.

Wow, originally he said Thursday was his last day but Cumulus nixed that. So he's officially gone.

VN Store

Back