Hooker's INT vs. JG's

Have often wondered the same about you. Don't really want to know the answer, though.
That's just not true, and as far as your post, it's the reason Volnation can't have anything nice. This program has been attempting to get on this trajectory for decades and you're stuck on JG ?! Who cares?!

Last edited:
When Hooker threw that interception in the 4th quarter against Bama, it was game over. Yet I haven't seen anyone mad at him or blaming him. In fact there's a celebrate HH thread on VN as we speak. Why is that? Do we think the receiver ran the wrong route so we blame him instead? Why don't we get frustrated with Hooker like we did JG? I am by NO MEANS a fan of Jarrett Guarantano, who was a brave player, yet demonstrably bad at his job. As I compare these two QBs, I can't help but notice that JG's every mistake got VN riled up, whereas HH sealed the deal for us with Bama this year but there was no peep from the fans. I'm curious as to why that is. Simply a quantity thing (JG threw pick 6s far too often)? Is there something more likable about Hooker? Thoughts?
Hooker has demonstrated the ability to play QB at a high level consistently. The ball was thrown before the receiver coming out of his break which was a miscommunication issue with the receiver. Partially his fault, but had the receiver turned around its an east 5 yards, IMO.

JG on the other hand caught so much flack because of many reasons.
1. His piss poor attitude in 2017 against GT
2. Zero leadership skills
3. Was a 5th year Senior struggling with reading simple defenses
4. He was just not a good QB and the team was worse for having him out there. The team gave up multiple times with him at the helm.

Volnations criticism of JG was warranted for the most part. For HH, that one play was over shadowed by his game up to that point. He hit wide open deep shots when available and kept us in the game. JG wouldve overthrown all of them or waited until they were so wide open that it gave the DB time to catch up and break up the pass.

Reactions: volinthenorth
When Hooker threw that interception in the 4th quarter against Bama, it was game over. Yet I haven't seen anyone mad at him or blaming him. In fact there's a celebrate HH thread on VN as we speak. Why is that? Do we think the receiver ran the wrong route so we blame him instead? Why don't we get frustrated with Hooker like we did JG? I am by NO MEANS a fan of Jarrett Guarantano, who was a brave player, yet demonstrably bad at his job. As I compare these two QBs, I can't help but notice that JG's every mistake got VN riled up, whereas HH sealed the deal for us with Bama this year but there was no peep from the fans. I'm curious as to why that is. Simply a quantity thing (JG threw pick 6s far too often)? Is there something more likable about Hooker? Thoughts?
Is this a real post?

Reactions: JoAllan and kcvols1
1: Hooker has only thrown 2 INTs compared to 4 for JG (with two pick sixes as well) in the less games. The Pitt interception was just a great read by a DB, and the Alabama one was some sort of a miscommunication. JG's felt like he could just never read a defense.
2: Hooker has thrown 11 more TDs as well (17 to 6). Hooker has already thrown more TDs than JG threw in any one season for us. We still have 4 games to go, with 2 bad teams left. He also has almost matched JG's career rushing TDs in this season alone (4 vs 5).
3. We used to win games in spite of JG, now we have a chance to win games because of Hendon.

You're so wrong about what I'm saying. Making all kinds of assumptions here. I'm all in for Hooker, and was just wanting some good discussion about why our responses to him differ. Usually you are better at reading and understanding than what you demonstrate here. But hey, sjt, due to your loooong experience with badgering this community with your polemics, you once again fell into your multi-quote point-by-point rebuttal mode. It's like refutation is your only possible form of discourse. Sometimes it doesn't have to be adversarial bro. Maybe we're not all out to get you.
If I'm ever really hostile against you... you'll know it.

I understand that I come off as combative at times when I'm not being combative. That's one of the risks of a forum like this. I was a long time JG critic. That's no secret. I'm never all in with anyone but I'm as close with Hooker as I'll ever be. Plus... I really like Hooker's personality.

I think you may have rubbed a sore spot when it comes to JG. I typically try to avoid the rehash of his time at UT. His career still frustrates me. Plenty of physical talent. Tough as nails. Endured more vicious attacks than anyone should have to endure. Kept trying no matter what. Loved UT with all his heart. He did all the things you hope to find in a QB except he couldn't learn to process information and make decisions quickly. It was never his "fault"... just a personal flaw that apparently followed him to Wazzou.

No, actually I have a doctorate from one of this country's finest universities, and I have published close to 1.5 million words in books and articles.
The original post I’m hoping wasn’t indicative of your other works.

I mean we’re giving you a hard time, I’m sure you’re a good person bc you’re a Vol fan. I’m just not sure how anyone can not understand the grief JG got for his performance vs Hooker. To be fair JG didn’t deserve some bc JG shouldn’t have been in the position of starting QB to take the abuse.

Reactions: sjt18
Actually JG didn’t throw alot of picks in his time here
That's a big part of his problem. For most of his career, he could not make decisions quickly enough to push higher risk plays. He was always throwing safe even if it wasn't effective. By the time he saw openings it was usually too late to throw.

He was so low risk that he wasn't effective.

Just one comparison will help you see what I'm talking about. Go back and look at JG's deep completions. Notice how few times he led the receiver correctly- seldom. He was usually late and short. Hooker has been on target most of the time allowing the receiver to run after the catch. Notice that for much of JG's time at UT... they would not allow him to throw a deep ball inside the numbers. His coaches knew that throwing any deep ball without the sideline to provide a limit would give him too much to think about and read.

Reactions: kcvols1
Too bad D4H or some of the fervent JG defenders aren't here anymore, they'd really have a hard time explaining Hooker not getting the same criticism as JG.

Let's assume that the pick was on Hooker. It's unclear whether it was or not, but for the sake of argument, we'll say it was. That bad decision is an outlier in his time as QB here. He has generally made good decisions. JG was prone to bad decisions that resulted in game changing plays in a myriad of ways. Interceptions are just one way he wasn't getting the job done.

Jarrett's play was constantly scrutinized because he gave us ample reason to question his ability and decision making. Hendon gets a pass because he doesn't give us reason to question his abilities and decision making very often. Many wanted Bailey to play over him when Milton went down. But Hook silenced them with his play. JG could never do that.

JG was constantly throwing picks. Most of the time 2 or 3 a game. How many had Hooker thrown?
That is a gross exaggeration. In his 4 years at UT he threw 2, 3, 8 and 4 ints respectively. That's 17 total in 4 years he played way more than the 6-9 games it would take for that to average 2-3 per.he didn't even average 1 int per game.the guy was not good but he was not as bad as people like to accuse him of. The most ints he threw in a season was 8....

All I am saying is if you're gonna make a point use actual facts instead of hyperbole. I personally think the kid did the best job he could with the tools he had and the situation he was in. I wish we'd had a better QB but he was the best we had in the time he was here. That's a fact backed up by numbers. Don't blame the guy for not being good blame the coaches for not being able to replace him with someone better in 4 years..

As far as hooker is concerned he is able to take advantage of negavol exhaustion. Guys are so tired of the last 7 years hating Dobbs and JG they don't have much left in the tank thankfully. I'm enjoying it. Hopefully it gives this team time to grow and get the program moving forward again.

Last edited:
Because HH is a million times the player JG ever was

If I think about JG any length of time, my head starts hurting. I don't have that with HH.

I mean Hooker is a playmaker and JG wasn't. This isn't complicated.

Hooker has 17 passing TD’s and only 2 INT. And it appears that the WR ran the wrong route. But to compare Hooker to JG is an insult to Hooker. Hooker is the best QB we have had since Dobbs hands down.

For this person to compare JG to Hooker is an insult to his mother and father!

Are you serious? Come back when hooker throws two pick 6s in a row

That's just not true, and as far as your post, it's the reason Volnation can't have anything nice. This program has been attempting to get on this trajectory for decades and you're stuck on JG ?! Who cares?!

VolDaddy, I will say this as nicely as I can so as to change the tone. I'm not stuck on JG. I don't want him back, nor even to talk about him in the present. I'm a huge HH fan. My ONLY point of starting this thread was to observe, in a completely neutral way, the two different responses that we had to one QB and now to the other ... and to ask the guys on this board to comment as to why they think that is. No advocacy for one QB or another. Just "Let's observe Reaction A vs. Reaction B, and discuss why they differ." But for some reason, a large number of people on this thread started hurling insults or assuming things about my insidious intent. Nope. I'm just a guy who said, "Hey, here's a thing, let's discuss it." Those claws were unneeded by the VN brethren. And I will admit, I clawed back.

The original post I’m hoping wasn’t indicative of your other works.

I mean we’re giving you a hard time, I’m sure you’re a good person bc you’re a Vol fan. I’m just not sure how anyone can not understand the grief JG got for his performance vs Hooker. To be fair JG didn’t deserve some bc JG shouldn’t have been in the position of starting QB to take the abuse.

Honestly, I did understand it, and if you look back at my OP you will see that I suggested the basic reasons that most on here laid out. I didn't lack basic understanding of what is driving the difference in our reactions to JG and HH. The point, then, was to give everyone a chance to lay out their reasoining in their own words and with their own nuances. That's what a discussion board does. It's what any act of rhetoric does. To use the example of articles I have written, you don't just type a thesis statement and let that suffice, followed by twenty blank pages. You propose an idea and then you sift claims and counterclaims and you let the whole thought process unfold. There is value in the thoughtful engagement, not just the bottom-line final answer. That's what I was doing in this thread, and I think it's what makes for good threads. But there are a lot of BVS sufferers on here who bristle and bluster with the least provocation, or even no provocation.

Let me guess you have many leather-bound books and your apartment smells of rich mahogany? You are also friends with Merlin Olsen too right?

I'd have to Google Merlin Olsen to remember who he was, gramps. As for the leather books and mahogany, that sounds kind of nice. :)

VN Store

Back