Hooker's INT vs. JG's

When Hooker threw that interception in the 4th quarter against Bama, it was game over. Yet I haven't seen anyone mad at him or blaming him. In fact there's a celebrate HH thread on VN as we speak. Why is that? Do we think the receiver ran the wrong route so we blame him instead? Why don't we get frustrated with Hooker like we did JG? I am by NO MEANS a fan of Jarrett Guarantano, who was a brave player, yet demonstrably bad at his job. As I compare these two QBs, I can't help but notice that JG's every mistake got VN riled up, whereas HH sealed the deal for us with Bama this year but there was no peep from the fans. I'm curious as to why that is. Simply a quantity thing (JG threw pick 6s far too often)? Is there something more likable about Hooker? Thoughts?

When Hooker threw that interception in the 4th quarter against Bama, it was game over. Yet I haven't seen anyone mad at him or blaming him. In fact there's a celebrate HH thread on VN as we speak. Why is that? Do we think the receiver ran the wrong route so we blame him instead? Why don't we get frustrated with Hooker like we did JG? I am by NO MEANS a fan of Jarrett Guarantano, who was a brave player, yet demonstrably bad at his job. As I compare these two QBs, I can't help but notice that JG's every mistake got VN riled up, whereas HH sealed the deal for us with Bama this year but there was no peep from the fans. I'm curious as to why that is. Simply a quantity thing (JG threw pick 6s far too often)? Is there something more likable about Hooker? Thoughts?
JG was constantly throwing picks. Most of the time 2 or 3 a game. How many had Hooker thrown?

Anybody that watches football can clearly see there was miscommunication between him and the receiver on that play. Who was at fault? Idk, and it may have been Hooker, but it does happen. That said, of course it's upsetting, but it's not been a constant in every game, especially pick 6's. If it becomes more frequent, then I'm sure you'll see more frustration.

I wasn’t happy with his performance overall. But that’s not the norm for him. For the most part he has played beyond my expectations every game up till this one. Everyone has an off day at times. I fully support him at this point.

I was one of the first people I know to sour on JG in his first year as a starter. I NEVER could stand to watch his performances. It was brutal in my eyes from day one

Wow man…people can say what they want about how some of bama’s Dan aren’t that intelligent but I’d put some of ours up against any of theirs. Hooker is a bad ass player. We all immediately recognized how good he is. JG is the polar opposite. It wasn’t just the interceptions with JG. It was lack of pocket awareness. Lack of athletic ability. Lack of accuracy. Lack of know when to take a shot and when to check down. It was a lack of everything that makes a qb good. Hooker in the other hand is shockingly good based on the amount of reps he’s had in heupel’s system

JG literally threw a game vs Bama that was winnable 2 years ago…… Hooker’s INT was simple confusion with the receiver and the route.

I’ve yet to see Hooker throw a game and try not to win like JG did.

It was more of a miscommunication with the WR than just throwing a bad pick. It happens

Hooker's pick might have been the one time that Bama's secondary read the play properly. It was an option route, probably based on the position of the safety. It had already worked twice for TDs. This time the safety read it properly and took the post away, which Hooker saw, so he threw the out. Unfortunately the WR didn't read the safety and still ran the post. It's the easiest pick JAD will ever make. It goes on Hooker's stat line, but it really wasn't his fault.

It seems like it should be completely obvious to anyone who has watched both of them play. Hooker's entire body of work has been so much better than JG's that I wonder how anyone could fail to see it.

JG made the same mistakes over and over. Instead of correcting his mistakes, he made more and more as time went on. Most fans pulled for him far longer than some fan bases would. The 2 picks 6’s against Kentucky was the end, FINALLY. Hooker & the Vols are playing with house money this year.

JG threw more TD passes to Kentucky DBs than he did his own receivers, I think that answers your question.

Also, let’s not forget him going Maverick and calling the QB sneak on 4th and Goal down there two years ago and that opened the flood gates.

Only thing JG would be good for right now is bringing Hooker his Gatorade

Actually JG didn’t throw alot of picks in his time here
He didn’t throw a lot of touchdowns either. Trying to compare the two based on a single interception is laughable. Hooker puts up points and leads successful drives regularly. We score points when he plays so it's easy to forgive an occasional interception.

Last edited:
It was clearly an option route for the WR and the receiver read it wrong. Hooker isn’t going to throw that bad of a pass for no reason. The receiver was suppose to go outside but ran his route inside.

OK, first off, Bailey is not playing this year unless the worst happens. JG has a record for FUs that is unrivaled. Consecutive Pick 6's, which you mention, somewhat. HH has a humility and leadership about him that JG can only have wet dreams about. No comparison between the two.

VN Store

Back