Hooker's future at Detroit...

If you aren't first you're last? Goff is now the 2nd highest paid QB in the league...

O wow. I think the cap number I was looking at, at over the cap was likely before this deal was finished.

Yeah…that’s an insane deal for Goff. That’s the kind of decision that runs a team for years

Hendon has overcome more to find his way onto the field. As long as he doesn’t end up on the Browns Hendon will have a good pro career.
LOL…To be successful QBs have to evade DLineman and the Cleveland and Washington front offices.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
I think the plan is still the plan. Let him keep growing and he will get reps. No reason for them to move him, and they wouldn’t get much for him with him being untested in the league. If he is QB2 next year, he will get chances to play. Then maybe he can attract some attention from teams. Or if he shows promise and Goff starts dropping off, maybe he gets elevated and they have to dump a big contract, which happens a lot in the NFL.

Reactions: Vol4life2
Hooker, if he progresses, will play 4or more games over the next 2 years. Backups do play in the NFL. Few QBs play all 17 games.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
YIKES !!! Jared Goff getting $53 mill a year for the next four years...yes, the guy has been in the top 5 in every positive QB category in the league the last two years, but is this over paying?

What does this mean for Hooker?
Does Hendon become a career backup automatically?
Barring a catastrophe to Goff (injury, back slide, etc.), does Hooker ever see the field, let alone start a game?
Should Hooker think about moving on after the rookie contract expires?
Thoughts VolNation?

You've got to find a way to play in regular-season games, whatever team you are with. It's not easy--injury to a starter is the usual scenario--and then play well when you do. Bray was talented---strong passer, no mobility--and while he was in the league for several years, he could never get on the field. Goff is a good/very good QB and Detroit's offensive system and talent group fits him well, so it doesn't look too promising for Hooker, who's already, what, 25 or 26?

I haven't looked into the specifics of Goffs deal, but this signing pretty much will encompass all of Hendons rookie contract

That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Goff revert back to 2021 form.

Reactions: VAVol85
Nathan (my dog) and the cracked crystal ball said two years down road, Hooker will be QB1 the Chargers, then be traded to the Ravens where he plays in a Super Bowl. I trust the dog and the glass.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
The first thing I thought when I saw the Goff deal was there goes Hendon's career. Ben Johnson is a big name for head coaching spots next season. Maybe he moves somewhere and acquires Hendon for cheap? If not, I'm worried he'll be stuck as a backup until he's 30. Not a bad job, but he certainly wants to play.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Can't say Goff doesn't deserve it, but I'm ready to see some UT-QBs in the starter role.

VN Store

Back