Hooker loses Maxwell Award to Williams

You lose a hugely important game and you lose it late...nuked a lot of things. COY, Hookers awards, playoff appearance. Lots of fallout and damage from the SCjr debacle. Hope the pain and memory linger for this program.

Reactions: pimo1
You lose a hugely important game and you lose it late...nuked a lot of things. COY, Hookers awards, playoff appearance. Lots of fallout and damage from the SCjr debacle. Hope the pain and memory linger for this program.

USC lost badly to Utah on the last game of the year and it did not hurt Williams. Stop making this be the excuse because it isn't the excuse for everything regardless how much you want it to be.

USC lost badly to Utah on the last game of the year and it did not hurt Williams. Stop making this be the excuse because it isn't the excuse for everything regardless how much you want it to be.
Utah was a top 15 team when that game was played and it was a conference championship game. USCjr was UNRANKED and put up 60+ points.....

You can argue all kinds of things about UTs resume and strength of schedule. The one thing you can't argue is that of all the loses any of the top 10 teams have, ours to USCe is easily the worst. Even after they beat Clemson. Every argument kind of falls apart because of that game. Trust me if we won that game and all these discussions are different. But we didn't. The injury didn't help things. And funny enough is smacking down candy how we did HURT Hookers case. Because to every voter on the fence looking for a reason to not vote for him was like, see that offense does not need him. They were wrong but I guarantee that was a factor in their tiny brains.

I was watching a Josh Pate podcast and he mentioned something. Most of these voters (especially the Heisman voters) are not guys that follow football as much as even you or I. When it comes time to vote they look up some stats and recent headlines and that's it. Ot is not a conspiracy against UT it's just how things work. If we keep winning and are ingrained in their heads as a quality team we will start getting the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: FlVols
I’m cool with Williams. He had a better year than Hooker statistically and had some moments. I am not cool with Stetson Bennett being a Heisman finalist over Hooker. He did not have better statistics and he did not have any moments that justify him moving ahead of Hooker. He wins games….ok, so did Jake Coker, Greg McElroy and John Parker Wilson. The main reason Georgia wins isn’t because of Stetson Bennett. It’s because they have the best roster in CFB.

Did you really think these awards would go any other way ?

Over the years it seems a very tight correlation to Rose Bowl participation probability and winners of these awards. Augmented for years by a Notre Dame positive offset as well. I don't care anymore. Have not watched since 97'. Peyton and Eli should put out their Awards correction show... that would light up some networks. All UT and Ole Miss winners. An alternate Joke to these proceedings. Would love to see a state by state chart of voters for each award.

Reactions: greenbacknative
I’m cool with Williams. He had a better year than Hooker statistically and had some moments. I am not cool with Stetson Bennett being a Heisman finalist over Hooker. He did not have better statistics and he did not have any moments that justify him moving ahead of Hooker. He wins games….ok, so did Jake Coker, Greg McElroy and John Parker Wilson. The main reason Georgia wins isn’t because of Stetson Bennett. It’s because they have the best roster in CFB.

Did he not have two losses to Pac 10 schools?

Most of these voters (especially the Heisman voters) are not guys that follow football as much as even you or I. When it comes time to vote they look up some stats and recent headlines and that's it. Ot is not a conspiracy against UT it's just how things work. If we keep winning and are ingrained in their heads as a quality team we will start getting the benefit of the doubt.

Don't call it the most prestigious award if the voters can't be bothered to do their due diligence and vet the candidates based on their body of work over the course of the season. If they aren't up to following football & using some analytical skills to select the best candidate then they shouldn't be voting.

Reactions: Fightmaker
Don't call it the most prestigious award if the voters can't be bothered to do their due diligence and vet the candidates based on their body of work over the course of the season. If they aren't up to following football & using some analytical skills to select the best candidate then they shouldn't be voting.
You can call it what you want but I mean it is what it is.. its a popularity contest. I mean think about how nuts it is that One QB can win the Heisman a totally different can win the Obrien and then yet another can win the Maxwell. They are all separate awards given by completely different voters with different qualifications.

Lets keep it real.. everyone not from TCU or Georgia thinks Hendon Hooker got boned not being a Heisman finalist. And half of them do.. It sucks but its also whatever. If We keep on this trajectory our players won't be getting passed up on these awards in the next couple of years. Honestly, I had to ask myself..do I really want a UT QB to get the Heisman and the curse that goes along with it? The last QB that won the Heisman and was more than a Journeyman in the NFL was Roger Staubach pretty much 60 years ago.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
You just summed up a ton of sportswriters.

Reactions: GBOx2
If we get rid of the SEC divisions and just put the 2 best teams in the SEC championship Hooker would have had an extra game to possibly sway some voters. Furthermore, if we handled our business with SC baby east and got in the playoffs Hooker would have been a Heisman finalist and probably would have won.

Last edited:

Exactly. Another thing. Every team that lost pat dropped in the rankings except TCU. How is that at all fair?

Hooker was announced for 5th in votes for Heisman, about half as many as Stetson. Hooker also won the Fan Vote

Winning solves EVERYTHING.......

Not really. To have a chance at a national award like Heisman, Maxwell, etc requires a general base consensus of support from regional voters.

Heisman Results
#1 Caleb Williams - West Region
#2 Max Duggan - S West Region
#3 CJ Stroud - N East Region

#4 Stetson Bennett - S East Region
#5 Hendon Hooker - S East Region
#6 Bryce Young - S East Region

Essentially, the top 3 finalists were virtually unopposed in their own regions while the S East support was split. The worst part is that most of the talking heads like Wes Rucker voted Williams #1. Absolutely disgusting in my opinion.

That Stetson Bennett even received votes just shows how partisan Heisman voting will be now with increasing parity in the SEC now that the Alabama dynasty is over.

200.gif

While parity in the SEC likely means Tennessee has a better chance at actually competing; it also means that it will be significantly more difficult for SEC candidates to win national awards. This year we had Bryce Young, Hendon Hooker and Stetson Bennett splitting regional support for Maxwell and Heisman honors. Could have just as easily screwed Hyatt out of his award had there been any other conference receiver worth half a darn. Inevitably, Southern Cal is going to dominate the west and Ohio State and Michigan are the only 2 worth a darn in the whole north east. I won’t be surprised if the SEC has a dry spell on the national awards scene for a while.

VN Store

Back