Hooker Legitimate Question

Love my big orange. Forever.

Having said that, Hendon remains an enigma to me. Product of Heupel's O scheme or legitimate NFL prospect?

Maybe both?

Love the guy and hope he gets 1st round pick.

I always wonder why other QBs never seem to face this question, say a Clemson or OSU player? Is our system really that different? We run the ball and pass the ball, in relatively similar amounts. Our coach happens to be adept at exploiting weak spots, and teaching players to do the same. People act like we use some special tech or have Martian players or something.

I always wonder why other QBs never seem to face this question, say a Clemson or OSU player? Is our system really that different? We run the ball and pass the ball, in relatively similar amounts. Our coach happens to be adept at exploiting weak spots, and teaching players to do the same. People act like we use some special tech or have Martian players or something.

Nope. Every college QB plays in a system. And that system is irrelevant when going to the NFL. When a player gets to the NFL they have to learn a new system regardless of where they came from. Hookers ability to read defenses quickly (because of our tempo) will only be beneficial to him in the NFL. The media likes to call our offense gimmicky. Therefore any QB in our system is gonna be questioned. It’s dumb.

Having said that, Hendon remains an enigma to me. Product of Heupel's O scheme or legitimate NFL prospect?

Maybe both?

A little of both, IMO.

Will get drafted in the first 3 rounds, I think, but will have to work hard and take his game to another level to start somewhere. I believe he will struggle to stay healthy in the NFL.

Hooker had command of the team, and that is a MUST for an NFL team.
He also didn't panic and do stupid things such as INTs, bad laterals, grounding, etc.
He Won
He was poised in the pocket
He ran the O that he was taught to run, which means he learns
He didn't try to improvise (often) like so many QBs do

How many of the QBs that will be drafted ahead of HH have the above pedigree?? Not Will Levy for sure....

Maybe both?

58 touchdowns against 5 interceptions over two years against multiple NFL DBs. I don't care what system you're in, that's legit.

All booze is trash

dirty-mouth.gif

Every college has a system, but it seems CJH's method for QBs is #1 read and then take off running. MAYBE with a weaker opponent you can go through 2 reads before running, but our offense isn't designed for QBs to go through a bunch of reads. We all saw what happened against UGA. When the first two options aren't open and the pressure is already to the point where you can't escape and run, you get those results we had against UGA.

On the other side of the spectrum you see what CJ Stroud did against UGA's defense in the quarter final. Ohio State's offense is the more prototypical NFL style, Stroud (or any OSU QB) is built into that system, and he carved up their defense.

Every college has a system, but it seems CJH's method for QBs is #1 read and then take off running. MAYBE with a weaker opponent you can go through 2 reads before running, but our offense isn't designed for QBs to go through a bunch of reads. We all saw what happened against UGA. When the first two options aren't open and the pressure is already to the point where you can't escape and run, you get those results we had against UGA.

On the other side of the spectrum you see what CJ Stroud did against UGA's defense in the quarter final. Ohio State's offense is the more prototypical NFL style, Stroud (or any OSU QB) is built into that system, and he carved up their defense.

yet tOSU score once in the 4th. . .a FG.

I have to put my eval in on the Dobbs and Hooker discussion so here goes...

Both of them are smart, dedicated and hard working so I'd call that even.

Dobbs is the more natural runner and he has great vision so he knows when to get down fast to avoid most slobberknockers and keep from getting injured.

If Hooker can develope his vision better to be more able to avoid the big hits like Dobbs does then he can stay healthier and become a great NFL QB in my opinion.

There are zero doubts that Hooker had a much better coaching staff than Dobbs had.

I believe that if Dobbs could have a year or 2 working under our current Vols coaching staff that he'd also become a much better passer.

Dobbs has gotten better at passing in the NFL which we all saw with his 2 starts with my Titans and that was with hardly any learning time before the Titans threw him into the fire.

Joe Milton has gotten better at passing which we all saw against Vandy and in the Orange Bowl against a pretty good Clemson D.

I believe that's proof that our current coaching staff is very good at doing a solid eval of a QB, finding the bad issues and knowing exactly how to work with a QB to get those issues corrected.

We'll all have lots of time this coming season to do a serious eval of Joe Milton and how well he does under real fire and stress.

I hope and I believe he'll do MUCH better than what we all saw his 1st season as a Vol.

I really hope that Joe lights it up this year so that Nico can relax and learn all he needs to know so that next year Nico can take over and really light up the scoreboard and take us to 2 or 3 National Championships!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: HalfullVol
I have to put my eval in on the Dobbs and Hooker discussion so here goes...

Both of them are smart, dedicated and hard working so I'd call that even.

Dobbs is the more natural runner and he has great vision so he knows when to get down fast to avoid most slobberknockers and keep from getting injured.

If Hooker can develope his vision better to be more able to avoid the big hits like Dobbs does then he can stay healthier and become a great NFL QB in my opinion.

There are zero doubts that Hooker had a much better coaching staff than Dobbs had.

I believe that if Dobbs could have a year or 2 working under our current Vols coaching staff that he'd also become a much better passer.

Dobbs has gotten better at passing in the NFL which we all saw with his 2 starts with my Titans and that was with hardly any learning time before the Titans threw him into the fire.

Joe Milton has gotten better at passing which we all saw against Vandy and in the Orange Bowl against a pretty good Clemson D.

I believe that's proof that our current coaching staff is very good at doing a solid eval of a QB, finding the bad issues and knowing exactly how to work with a QB to get those issues corrected.

We'll all have lots of time this coming season to do a serious eval of Joe Milton and how well he does under real fire and stress.

I hope and I believe he'll do MUCH better than what we all saw his 1st season as a Vol.

I really hope that Joe lights it up this year so that Nico can relax and learn all he needs to know so that next year Nico can take over and really light up the scoreboard and take us to 2 or 3 National Championships!!!

VFL...GBO!!!
LOL, I'll take just one Natty.

On the earlier: I don't remember Hooker taking too many big hits while running. His injury was even non-contact.

HH's as I have always stated in the past is his processing speed. He has the ability to produce, but his brain Processes faster than most QBs on NFL rosters today.

It was not so much the scheme of the offense as it was his ability to access and process the plays before the ball was snapped. His ability to make the throws were a plus.

I think the Scouts are seeing this and this is why his stock is rising. Never much hesitation in HH and he always appeared to be one step ahead in the play.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The NFL has finally come around to the running QB now. The last 2-3 yrs teams have had success, KC-Philly both had running QBs in last SB. So IMO that gives Hooker a chance to prove himself. As some posters have already pointed out he is a good passer but can run effectively when needed. If taken by the right team he could do well.

Honestly, I think he is more of a product of Huepel's scheme, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have to potential to be a good NFL QB. He has a good spiral and aside from Jalen Hurts being a bit more durable, I don't see Hooker being much different coming out of college as a prospect. In the right system he could flourish. My biggest concern with him is that he holds the ball too long to at times. I think that will come to haunt him alot at the next level. Still, I don't understand why Anthony Richardson is projected ahead of him.

HH's as I have always stated in the past is his processing speed. He has the ability to produce, but his brain Processes faster than most QBs on NFL rosters today.

It was not so much the scheme of the offense as it was his ability to access and process the plays before the ball was snapped. His ability to make the throws were a plus.

I think the Scouts are seeing this and this is why his stock is rising. Never much hesitation in HH and he always appeared to be one step ahead in the play.

Though the skeptics will suggest Hooker has inflated numbers due to Josh Heupel's explosive system, the tape reveals a cerebral player with a keen understanding of concepts and coverage. Hooker's knowledge and football IQ enable him to play the game in slow motion while others (SEE: Levis and Richardson) operate at a frenetic pace, leading to inconsistent production and performance.

In fact, Hooker's dominant play over multiple seasons in the SEC should make it an easy decision to hand him the draft cap as the third quarterback off the board. He is a more polished and productive player than his SEC counterparts from Kentucky and Florida, and teams opting for the toolsy guys could regret bypassing the prolific passer down the road. Hooker's game reminds me of Geno Smith's, and like the NFL veteran, Hooker can flourish as a pro when given the opportunity and a solid supporting cast.
Five potential trade fits for Devin White; why Hendon Hooker is the third-best QB in the 2023 NFL Draft

Count former Super Bowl-winning coach Mike Martz among those captivated by Hooker, and during a recent film analysis video for The 33rd Team, Martz explained exactly why Hooker is being undervalued as a legitimate first-round prospect.

“I think mechanically he’s almost perfect,” Martz said. “He has a great base, bent knees, he’s always balanced, you’ll never see his feet come together, he has really strong legs...There’s no hesitation in anything that he does. And his game speed is heading toward the game speed of the NFL in terms of his footwork and getting the ball out quickly. [His] ball location shocked me. I have not seen a college quarterback like this before where the ball is always on the body or out in front of (the receivers) where they can make the catch.”
Which team is the best fit for this ascending QB prospect?

Reactions: Sudden Impact

VN Store

Back