Honestly, ready for some roster turnover

Nothing will be dramatically better next year. In fact, the record will probably be worse. It's a combination of a deficient offensive system and type of players recruited. Barnes is not going to change, so guess we will have to be happy with making it into the tourney most years. Anything beyond a first round win is a bonus.

Fulmer had two heisman quarterbacks on the roster and an offensive coordinator that turned out to be a great coach. Just had to be patient and let them rebuild after winning the SEC the year before and Cutcliffe going.
Fulmer had 2 losing seasons in 4 years and his recruiting sagged. Don't let nostalgia get in the way. He was washed. And no program going after him proves it.

Good question I’m not sure who’s out there that is a hot candidate but I would go after a Nate Oates type coach who scores alot and has a exciting up tempo offense. Barnes offense will put you to sleep sometimes it’s still better than the Kevin O’Neil days though but it’s boring and Rick ain’t getting any younger.
Maybe let CJH design our BB offense...

Time for some players to move on. We were working with a 13 shots advantage last night and still lost the game by seven. Very poor shooting in some many games this season. Barnes needs to get some offense in here.

Reactions: Namorto1
Good question I’m not sure who’s out there that is a hot candidate but I would go after a Nate Oates type coach who scores alot and has a exciting up tempo offense. Barnes offense will put you to sleep sometimes it’s still better than the Kevin O’Neil days though but it’s boring and Rick ain’t getting any younger.
Going to be interesting to see what happens with Mus at AR. He looks like a coach ready for a legacy program

Reactions: Voldog1998
We need some players that can put the ball in the hoop. Defense is great but offense wins games. The inconsistency and some players not even showing up for games is getting old. And we need more than one PG next year.
You are laying that on the players. Barnes is so D focused that players aren't developing on O. There is no excuse for Phillips not to be an offensive force at this point. They might have given up a little defensively but he can shoot, drive, and make plays around the basket.

He also subs so much to keep guys fresh on D that no one gets into a rhythm.

What Barnes does wins lots of games. But eventually he meets a team that shoots well and passes well enough to break down even the best D. Eventually the cold streaks on O catch up to you. Eventually you need a guy who can come in and provide instant O. He reminds me of Bobby Cox for the Braves years ago. In Cox's last 20 years as a manager, he won the NL East 14 times. That's incredible. He made the World Series 5 times but won it only once. They frequently had the best record in the NL or MLB. He and his team were built for winning a high % of games. They were not built to streak through a playoff.

When they guard Vescovi and James like they did last night and no one else steps up, that's unfortunately the result. How does Nkamhoua go from a 27-point performance against Duke to almost no offensive output? And Plavsic's antics on the court......, although I will say FA's big guy earned an Oscar award last night. As it's been said, we need some turnover badly to revamp this roster. Santi Vescovi at this point is the only one out of those mentioned that I hope stays.

I don't think a sports team has ever caused as much fatigue on me as Tennessee's 2022-23 roster has. I agree with the poster on this one.

Reactions: Yeiser10
Where was ON in this game? He scores 27 against Duke and then in a game against an undersized FAU team, he's a COMPLETE no show.
He scores his first basket at just over 5 minutes left in the game? That is freakin' unbelievable. Makes no sense but is illustrative of his game: Just
when you think he's ready to break out, he completely disappears. He had the big game against Texas and then was poor to average in the next several
games. Nobody expected him to score 27 again last night--but good grief, give us something.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
Where was ON in this game? He scores 27 against Duke and then in a game against an undersized FAU team, he's a COMPLETE no show.
He scores his first basket at just over 5 minutes left in the game? That is freakin' unbelievable. Makes no sense but is illustrative of his game: Just
when you think he's ready to break out, he completely disappears. He had the big game against Texas and then was poor to average in the next several
games. Nobody expected him to score 27 again last night--but good grief, give us something.

I mean that's been his pattern for a while. Have a big game then disappear.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
Hate to say it but Santi to. He still can't create his own shot

He can't, but get some shot creators and playmakers and he'll finally get wide open looks. He was out of position playing the point, and isn't a guy who can get his own shot, yet that's the position this roster put him in once ZZ went down. Make him a 3&D guy whose role on offense is being a catch and shoot gunner, and he'll be fine.

I'd like to see Santi, Aidoo, Awaka, and ZZ back, and even possibly ON. Not sure about Philips, although in a more offense-geared system he could still flourish here. Key was a huge disappointment, and it just never really happened for JJJ, as good a kid as he is.

He is one of the few alpha males that Tennessee has. He has played out of position for most of his last four years. He has to bring the ball up, then run around for 20 seconds while everyone else on offense stands around waiting for him to get open. It is like a little league game at times.

Vescovi is the focus of the opposing team. He is the guy that can fill up the basket if he gets just a small window. When the defense is that focused on one player, the opportunity is there for someone else to step up as a scoring threat to take the pressure off Vescovi. If the rest of the team can hit shots, it will loosen the defense up. I still don't understand why the post position is not used more for baskets. It's like they don't want to feed the bigs down low.

Santi, JJJ, ON, and Uros all still technically have one more year because of COVID, right? I'm just curious why everyone is certain they are all gone? None are NBA ready, IMO. So that probably means overseas if they plan on leaving and continuing to play. Is that really that much more attractive than staying in college another year? I mean, it is what it is, and any holes left we'll just have to look to the portal to fill holes, but would it really be surprising if at least one of those stayed one more year?

I also think Barnes needs to change his recruiting.....as far as whay he looks for. It seems that hardnosed , play hard on Defense are what he looks for....being able to score is optional. He needs some guys that they can count on to score. Even if those guys arenr great defensive players. Their is only so much you can do with great defense and lukewarm offense. Bernard King, Allan Houston, Chris Lofton....he probably wouldn't have even recruited them since their first focus isnt defense

Santi, JJJ, ON, and Uros all still technically have one more year because of COVID, right? I'm just curious why everyone is certain they are all gone? None are NBA ready, IMO. So that probably means overseas if they plan on leaving and continuing to play. Is that really that much more attractive than staying in college another year? I mean, it is what it is, and any holes left we'll just have to look to the portal to fill holes, but would it really be surprising if at least one of those stayed one more year?
Yes, because Santi is the one we would want back and he nearly left last year to play overseas.

VN Store

Back