Honestly, ready for some roster turnover

We are losing up to five seniors and maybe Phillips. He has three players recruited
He needs to get off his backside and get good players From the porta!. Look what heupel and Vitelo are doing
4 players including Dilione (who was a part of that class), plus Jefferson redshirted this year, but was a top 50 guy. The talent will certainly still be there.

This take keeps being posted but makes zero sense. Phillips was given way more minutes than he earned due to his potential. Barnes didn’t handcuff Phillips, didn’t make him miss all the open shots he took, didn’t make him fumble the ball away way too often when he tried to dribble drive, and didn’t make him miss bunnies at the rim. Phillips’ performances are on Phillips.
I wasn’t blaming Barnes for Phillips performance. But the problem is the offensive scheme don’t help guys like Phillips develop throughout the course of the season. It’s too rigid and it’s too old school. It doesn’t fit Phillips’ game

I was ready to say goodbye to Fulky. Sometimes I think guys have a good run, but then after a while things get stale. I'd like to see Vescovi back, but certainly ready to move on from Key, JJJ, Plasvic.

Fulkerson didn't get stale, he got hammered by covid and was never the same afterward.

I was ready to say goodbye to Fulky. Sometimes I think guys have a good run, but then after a while things get stale. I'd like to see Vescovi back, but certainly ready to move on from Key, JJJ, Plasvic.

Agree on Vescovi. Add Olivier to that last group. All good guys (except maybe Uros), but also guys that it’s time for us to move on from. The roster needs a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: vol94
I'll get roasted for this (again), but the roster is not the whole issue here. Unless Barnes decides to evolve his coaching philosophy on offense, its just going to be more trying to fit square pegs into round holes by forcing players to fit "his system" on offense, rather than shaping his offensive system around his players' strengths.

Dj Jefferson and Bj Edwards will get more run next year, then add Carr, Dillione, Estrella, and Philips. ZZ returns from injury. Return the pieces that we know are coming back. The athleticism on next year’a team will probably be the best Rick Barnes has had.

Reactions: Boomer78
Barnes is my coach and I like him, but he has got to stop recruiting these weird players. I mean getting players like Uros from Serbia. Nkahmoua from Finlaand... like what are we doing?

Way too many role players on this squad and I will not miss it one bit.

As far as I'm concerned this is how the lineup should look like

PG: ? (ZZ going to be out for a while)
SG: *Vescovi* (if he comes back)/ Dillione/ Carr
SF: DJ Jefferson/ Mashack/ Phillips
PF: Awaka/ Estrella
C: Aidoo

Team going to look very different next season and that's a good thing in my opinion.

We just got to get TWO consistent scorer and a dominate big man.

No more role player teams
Surely, Edwards will be ready by next year. Killed us not developing him this year.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I'll get roasted for this (again), but the roster is not the whole issue here. Unless Barnes decides to evolve his coaching philosophy on offense, its just going to be more trying to fit square pegs into round holes by forcing players to fit "his system" on offense, rather than shaping his offensive system around his players' strengths.

Yeah, everything folks are saying about Barnes now is similar to what Texas fans said about him when he was at Texas. I lived in Texas during much of Barnes' tenure there and got to hear about this every year in March. His teams were always great defensively, organized, well coached, all that, but when it came to producing consistent offense, they struggled a lot of years. There was a constant narrative about him "coaching the offense out of players," thought I can't tell you what that meant, only that Texas sports media talked a lot about it while he was there. They seemed to bring it up every year come Big 12/NCAA tournament time. I have no idea if they were right or wrong, but boy did they talk about it a lot.

And even with that, I don't want a coaching change. He's elevated our profile in the sport, so, I mean, I think it's been a pretty great run even with the tournament failures. But I want to say Barnes has only taken a top 40 ranked offense to the NCAA tournament in one season at Tennessee - the Grant/Admiral superteam year. That's the only one. Superior defense wins you a lot of games, and lets you upset better teams at times, but come tournament time every team that's advancing can run their offense and score points. The tournament format rewards consistent scoring ability (and guards, but, also, consistent scoring). And if you can't do that, then sooner or later you're going to get behind against a team that can score, and you're done.

But even with all that, it's still true that losing Zeigler cost Tennessee a lot, too. They might have have had enough to handle their business with him running the point. A lot of dumb luck goes into the tournament. It's a shame we didn't get to see the Tennessee that played well most of this year compete in the tournament.

I just want dogs on the court. ZZ, and Mashak type guys that want to compete. Heck at one time I saw that small guy boxing ON out like he was 7ft. The moment is too big for some guys. Coaches coach and players play. When the lights come on the players have got to step up. Heck I’m even ok with bone headed plays as long as they are effort. Look o further than the winning play in the K-State game where the PG waived the coach off to say I got this play. We have no leaders on this team like that outside of ZZ. JJJ is a nice guy but not that guy. Waaaayyyy too talented to perform like he does.

Just hope Barnes realizes it’s an offensive driven game and he recruits so people can shoot. That’s our only hope. It’s great to play elite defense but you have to have great offense to win championships. It’s proven time and time again.

Yeah not gonna happen

I'll say this:

Considering how the season went down with all the injuries and what not, I'll Consider this year a success since we made it to the sweet 16. Should we have beaten FAU? Of course! What killed us tonight is what killed us all season long, our offensive woes

With all this said, this is a lesson learned here for Barnes. You can have success with great defense, but it won't win you a championship. Also, you can recruit project players, but don't make your whole team's identity a bunch of role players. This year's team had way too many role players that could do certain things but couldn't consistently takeover. You just have to get a reliable scorer on offense and a big who will get you dunks down low

While I thought JJJ had great moments at Tennessee, he disappointed at the end. Too many injuries (not his fault) and would just folded at the end

Nkahmoua put at his typical houdini act per usual. Had two great games against Texas and Duke, but besides that, a major liability. A forgettable 4 years. It was over before it even started

Uros, haha. For a guy that is 7'1, he was too soft. Had some moments here and there, but he was too emotional, would cost us games and can't dunk nor defend to save his life. Ballerina ball won't be missed

Key, wow, where do I begin here. Poor guy. Seems like a good person, and this is nothing against him, but what a major disappointment. He went from scoring 15 ppg at IND state to becoming a guy that would shoot you out of games at Tennessee. I think the only transfer I could think of that was worse than him was EJ Anosike

Only guy I want back from that group of seniors is Vescovi if he decides to come back.

Thankfully next year's team will be athletic and better offensively. This season was brutal to watch

Barnes is my coach and I like him, but he has got to stop recruiting these weird players. I mean getting players like Uros from Serbia. Nkahmoua from Finlaand... like what are we doing?

Way too many role players on this squad and I will not miss it one bit.

As far as I'm concerned this is how the lineup should look like

PG: ? (ZZ going to be out for a while)
SG: *Vescovi* (if he comes back)/ Dillione/ Carr
SF: DJ Jefferson/ Mashack/ Phillips
PF: Awaka/ Estrella
C: Aidoo

Team going to look very different next season and that's a good thing in my opinion.

We just got to get TWO consistent scorer and a dominate big man.

No more role player teams
We better hope that someone can develop Aidoo.

Reactions: lynnh
we've gotta stop going for mid-major talent. that hasn't worked out.

I disagree with this

Look at the transfers we have brought in

Chris Darrington: Was a walking bucket (20 ppg) before his major injury. Led d1 or something like this in scoring

EJ Anosike: was a beast at sacred heart. He just wasn't talented enough to compete at the p5 level

Tyreke Key: Great at Ind. St but awful at Tennessee. Hes dealt with a bum shoulder so that didn't help

When you look at the transfers Tennessee has taken, they are getting the leftover players or the ones who have suffered injuries. I don't think Tennessee has tried very hard in the portal and that's a mistake.

We just need to get thr cream of the crop, almost had Yuri Collins last season.

We have had some good freshman in the last 4 years that should have put up monster numbers but they just don’t in this scheme and having to play d. I wish we would just go run n gun

It’s coming next year. Won’t be able to rely as much on our defense next year so we better find 2 guys in portal who can fill roles but also score.
Did you not watch post game on TBS,our beloved Candace Parker stated Offense sells tickets,Defense wins games and Rebounding wins Championship. Are you calling a 2 time National Champion back to back a liar she probably knows basketball more than everyone on this board will ever know

Reactions: EasternVol

VN Store

Back