Honest thoughts on how this season should go

Gonna disagree with you here. 5 wins is NOT a step forward. That is performing below expectations and if we didn't have an all SEC schedule last year Pruitt would have likely had at least 5 wins.

“Likely”………does that mean……..we don’t know? Because we don’t.

I’m fairly confident that between 5 and 6 wins is what almost everyone (except us fans) has Tennessee pegged at……..so NO 5 is not below expectations.

Right now Tennessee needs to start winning the games they should. They need to reach expectations……..then build on that.

When your as low as last years Tennessee was…….and blame it on an all SEC schedule all you want……..but Tennessee lost at home to Kentucky by more than EVER before……it was BAD……..so back to…..when your as low as Tennessee was, you simply have to start winning games you should and learn to be competitive in others…….and build on that throughout the year.

5 is better than 3……..I don’t care how you put it……or who you play.

Tennessee also lost a freakin ton of players, and coming off the worst season of our lives…….and folks literally believe 9 wins is going to happen…….or 7 is the floor……….people are not living in reality.

Tennessee could certainly win more than they should…….because we don’t know. This is all new…….but don’t handicap this team……by living in an alternate universe where this is still the 90’s Tennessee………we have seen 9 losing seasons over the past 13. We have seen zero 10 win seasons over that span and the closest were with Dobbs and everyone knew the team would be good.

But heck…….suddenly Tennessee will be great. I certainly hope so. I will be gladly excited to see Tennessee win 8 games or even more……..however reality says that’s not “probable”……..not impossible…….but not probable……..and I live in reality.

I’m fairly confident that between 5 and 6 wins is what almost everyone (except us fans) has Tennessee pegged at……..so NO 5 is not below expectations.

Right now Tennessee needs to start winning the games they should. They need to reach expectations……..then build on that.

When your as low as last years Tennessee was…….and blame it on an all SEC schedule all you want……..but Tennessee lost at home to Kentucky by more than EVER before……it was BAD……..so back to…..when your as low as Tennessee was, you simply have to start winning games you should and learn to be competitive in others…….and build on that throughout the year.

Tennessee also lost a freakin ton of players, and coming off the worst season of our lives…….and folks literally believe 9 wins is going to happen…….or 7 is the floor……….people are not living in reality.

Tennessee could certainly win more than they should…….because we don’t know. This is all new…….but don’t handicap this team……by living in an alternate universe where this is still the 90’s Tennessee………we have seen 9 losing seasons over the past 13. We have seen zero 10 win seasons over that span and the closest were with Dobbs and everyone knew the team would be good.

But heck…….suddenly Tennessee will be great. I certainly hope so. I will be gladly excited to see Tennessee win 8 games or even more……..however reality says that’s not “probable”……..not impossible…….but not probable……..and I live in reality.

Sorry my fellow Vol fan...I respectfully disagree even though I can appreciate your verbose justification!

I think with last year’s schedule (10 conf games) this team would have won 4 or 5 games. With this year’s schedule I think they win 7 games, and possibly 8 games.
Of course I know very little about the OOC teams other than everyone except Pitt is not Power 5. And I cannot predict injuries to any team or possible Virus uprisings. unknowns aside, I think these men will play as a team, hopefully when things don’t go their way. The schedule the past few seasons has been brutal. They had to play excellent physical teams back to back to back. Takes a toll on your body and your mental outlook with loses in 3 or 4 games in a row. Won’t happen this year.

Reactions: Teezy

I understand where you’re coming from here. I try to be as level headed as possible when it comes to Tennessee. I think one reason to be optimistic for a better record would be our schedule. So even with the talent loss, and we lost ALOT of it. I think we could get 6 MAYBE 7 games. However to be truthful, wins and losses don’t count to me this year. I think a lot of the vol fans should approach it similar. We aren’t who we used to be. But we can get back there. Just want to see some positive things.

If, after this season we didn’t get embarrassed by a weak OOC opponent and maybe make some folks think twice about scheduling UT for their homecoming game, then I think progress will have been made.

Reactions: Teezy
I understand where you’re coming from here. I try to be as level headed as possible when it comes to Tennessee. I think one reason to be optimistic for a better record would be our schedule. So even with the talent loss, and we lost ALOT of it. I think we could get 6 MAYBE 7 games. However to be truthful, wins and losses don’t count to me this year. I think a lot of the vol fans should approach it similar. We aren’t who we used to be. But we can get back there. Just want to see some positive things.

I’m with you. I “think” Tennessee is headed in the right direction. I’m hopeful to see a much better product on the field this year……and I expect as much.

I think Tennessee could be pretty decent…….but I don’t want to be saying like the floor is 7 or 8 wins……..we really don’t know.

The schedule “should” set up Tennessee for 5 or 6 wins (at least)……..but they have to learn to win and to be competitive. I hope they will…….and I think they will.

I’m much more excited than I have been in a while for the start of a Tennessee football season.

Hey……no matter what happens it “should” be much more exciting over the Pruitt products.

Reactions: FïreBall
I think anything less than 6 wins will be disappointing.

Worst case is 5-7, Best case 8-4.

I predict 6-6

Agree completely. But to me, 5-7 is acceptable this year. I think we will see improvement in the offense. I think some fans believe we are gonna jump into the top tier in the SEC. I just don’t see that happening right away.

I also believe some fans are setting themselves up for some disappointment. I mean some are thinking we are going to score 70 on BG and we just blow them off the field. While that’s possible I think it’s gonna be a little closer than some think.

We just need to develop and progress.

People seen to be ignoring the laundry list of "new"s.

New ENTIRE STAFF
New offensive scheme
New defensive scheme
New players all over the place

Whenever you get a new OC, people usually say it will take a year to implement and expect a big bump in Y2. For whatever reason, people are ignoring that factor. It may be rough early on, could take time...who knows.
What was Mizzou's offense in year 1 compared to the previous year? How was UCF's record in 2019 (yr 1)?

I think we go 4-8. I'm a big Vols fan..but I'm deliberately being pessimistic so that I don't get disappointed. I would love to be proven wrong.

Reactions: JoAllan
6 wins. Anything more is a potentially a really good sign for the future.

What I want (other than wins) is excitement and demonstrated competence when it comes to game preparation, in-game adjustments, and overall competitiveness. That’s what I expect (hope) to see.

This is my second time posting and I’m pretty new here. Definitely not new to being a vol fanatic though! Im kind of curious to see what other people are expecting to see this year. What would make you feel optimistic for the future? What would make you question it?
This is my list:
Optimistic

• Solid QB play. Doesn’t matter who, just someone who makes minimal mistakes.
  • Defense that doesn’t get burnt deep. Even if we allow them to score, I’d feel great if we at least make them work for it.
  • Keep it close with at least one of these following schools: Georgia, Florida or Bama.
Worrisome

• Not optimizing the places where we have talent. Whether that be getting them the ball as often as possible or having them contribute their strength on defense. Too many NFL players came here and barely played or weren’t used efficiently.
  • Recruiting is my main worry. However, I would feel just fine if we outperformed expectations and recruited according to that production.
Never seen bullet points around these parts. Boy, you ain’t from around here, are ya?

Reactions: FBtime
I would be THRILLED with 7-5 this season...I never thought I would say that as I set my expectations higher than that but due to the lack of depth this season I would predict we go 6-6...I would take 7-5 but expect 6-6...A bowl win would be icing on the cake.

I am honestly, and I'm not lying, I'm honestly locked in a garage between a ground hog and it's grueling. not lying, what do i do?

After the first three games, we are going to be going 9-3 for sure and maybe 10-2. Then after week four, 8-4 and by end of season, when the tint on the shades fade, we will be at 5-7 or maybe, with a little luck, 6-6.

If we are anything like the teams Dooley and Jones inherited, it’s gonna be bad!

VN Store

Back