Honest thoughts on how this season should go

Teezy

This is my second time posting and I’m pretty new here. Definitely not new to being a vol fanatic though! Im kind of curious to see what other people are expecting to see this year. What would make you feel optimistic for the future? What would make you question it?
This is my list:
Optimistic

• Solid QB play. Doesn’t matter who, just someone who makes minimal mistakes.
  • Defense that doesn’t get burnt deep. Even if we allow them to score, I’d feel great if we at least make them work for it.
  • Keep it close with at least one of these following schools: Georgia, Florida or Bama.
Worrisome

• Not optimizing the places where we have talent. Whether that be getting them the ball as often as possible or having them contribute their strength on defense. Too many NFL players came here and barely played or weren’t used efficiently.
  • Recruiting is my main worry. However, I would feel just fine if we outperformed expectations and recruited according to that production.

I expect the offense to be much improved based on Heupel's track record, especially having success in the SEC. We have substantial talent at the skill positions, o-line depth is questionable but I like Heupel/Golesh's ability to scheme if that becomes an issue.

Biggest question mark has to be LBs. Can they play above their potential? Will we be able to stop the run?

This is a LOS league, front 7 will dictate success.

Reactions: Sammy Joe and Teezy
I expect the offense to be much improved based on Heupel's track record, especially having success in the SEC. We have substantial talent at the skill positions, o-line depth is questionable but I like Heupel/Golesh's ability to scheme if that becomes an issue.

Biggest question mark has to be LBs. Can they play above their potential? Will we be able to stop the run?

This is a LOS league, front 7 will dictate success.

AGREED! I’m a little bit hopeful for our D-Line based on reports from practice so I’m hoping they can help cover some holes in the new linebacker line-up. It sounds like our DBs are experienced as well. Really hoping the defense isn’t a Butch Jones situation.

We just need to develop and progress.

People seen to be ignoring the laundry list of "new"s.

New ENTIRE STAFF
New offensive scheme
New defensive scheme
New players all over the place

Whenever you get a new OC, people usually say it will take a year to implement and expect a big bump in Y2. For whatever reason, people are ignoring that factor. It may be rough early on, could take time...who knows.

I fully expect Heupel to scheme game plans that gets the ball quickly to our play makers in open space, take deep shots once we are get past our opponents 45, and run the ball just enough to keep the front 7 honest.

I'm fully hoping our defense plays better than advertised.

We just need to develop and progress.

People seen to be ignoring the laundry list of "new"s.

New ENTIRE STAFF
New offensive scheme
New defensive scheme
New players all over the place

Whenever you get a new OC, people usually say it will take a year to implement and expect a big bump in Y2. For whatever reason, people are ignoring that factor. It may be rough early on, could take time...who knows.

Absolutely. Plus, there's not much quality depth at any position. A few key injuries, which almost always happens, and we could be in a world of hurt. Anything 5 -7 or better will be a good year.

Reactions: Teezy
If Heupel is the coach i suspect he is 8-4 is a strong possibility. If on the other hand he hasnt surrounded himself with quality assistants who are fully bought in...we may be looking at a <.500 season..

It seems to me that he is a guy that has his sbit together and understands his role as a leader. However....i have been wrong before, as hard as that is for me to say🤓

This season for UT: I think we play a more exciting offense style. I think it is fun and garners attention from recruits. I am not as optimistic about the W/L as some. 5-7 to 7-5 wouldn't surprise me.

This season for the NCAA: Bama, Clemson, OSU, and a wildcard will be in the playoff. I can hardly contain my boredom.

Wins against the 4 out of conference plus Vandy = 5.

Toss-ups against SC, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mizzou = 4 possibly.

Probable losses against UF, UGa, Bama = 3 losses.

So anywhere from 9-3 if you win every close game, every toss up game and have a season full of breaks going your way. If the opposite happens, 5-7 or worse.

And seasons usually play out where a team wins a game it shouldn’t, and loses a game it shouldn’t. Pulling an upset happens, getting upset happens.

So that’s why we play em’. I’m sticking with 6-6.

Reactions: AllVols and Teezy
6 or 7 wins is definitely possible with good Qb play and a solid run game. I think our D could be above average if we can avoid the injury bug. So 6-7 wins should be the floor, especially with USC and Kensucky on the schedule.

If they can put it all together at the right time of the season, then we might get to 8. ( would mean flawless football against everyone but the big 3, so I think that's a bit much to ask for a first year staff and starters.

I would consider anything above 5 a huge success based on our previous staff and the abyss they left behind.

You can't judge this season on wins. Pruitt beat a good Auburn team in year 1 and how did he turn out? I would focus on how they play in the first half and do they continue to battle into the later part of the game. There are 3 guaranteed wins on this schedule, that's it. People talk of beating Pitt/Mizzou/SC/Vandy and they certainly could win those games, but I'd say it's unlikely. People underplay Pitt because of their conference, but that's a stable program with an experienced coach who will know what he wants to do to win just as we are getting our feet wet. Mizzoul looked really good to end the season last year so they might continue. South Carolina is tough because they are circling this game as one of the most important games to judge Beamer. They will really want to win. And for Vandy we are going to be their super bowl and Lea will want nothing more than to start his career with a win.

It's just going to be tough. Given that I expect UT to self-impose a bowl ban, the wins won't matter much anyway. Watch the game, evaluate the coaches and players, and the score is just going to be a number this year.

Good-
- Great QB play and offensive output
- High pressure D gives up points but produces lots of big plays
- 8 wins and maybe even an upset of UF or Ole Miss.

Bad-
- Instability at QB and lack of sync in the O
- D gives up lots of points and is easily burned when it tries to pressure
- 6 wins with a possibility of 5 if one of UK, Mizzou, Pitt, or USCe are better than their rosters say they are.

Reactions: Teezy and LittleVol
You can't judge this season on wins. Pruitt beat a good Auburn team in year 1 and how did he turn out? I would focus on how they play in the first half and do they continue to battle into the later part of the game. There are 3 guaranteed wins on this schedule, that's it. People talk of beating Pitt/Mizzou/SC/Vandy and they certainly could win those games, but I'd say it's unlikely.
So you are saying that Vandy and USCe with less talent and new coaches are unlikely wins for UT? You know what the QB situation is at both of those schools, right? You know that neither of their coaches have been HC's previously and Beamer hasn't even been a coordinator, right? I know you probably tell yourself that you are "just being realistic"... but you're not. Not even close.

MU is 2nd year in with a good coach but a roster that has serious talent holes because Odom just didn't find those "diamonds in the rough" like they got before. You didn't mention UK but they just lost pretty much all of their best players off a team that has lost 11 games over the past two seasons. If you lose that many really good players off a team that's already mediocre... what's left?

People underplay Pitt because of their conference, but that's a stable program with an experienced coach who will know what he wants to do to win just as we are getting our feet wet.
No. You are overestimating them in spite of the competition they play. They are a middling ACC program. No problem. Doesn't mean they can't win games or even this game. What it means is that they have some very talented players in spots. Their QB is a good QB. But then they have whole position groups where their best players aren't the kinds of guys who EVER start for any SEC team except maybe Vandy.

Mizzoul looked really good to end the season last year so they might continue.
Really? Who told you that... because you certainly didn't research it yourself. I'm repeating myself but you obviously have not read the discussions and refutations of the stuff you seem to believe. MU's last 5 games were a 17-10 win over USCe (the lowest points allowed by USCe all year), a blowout of Vandy, a 50-48 win over a pretty bad Arkansas team, and then blowout losses to UGA and MSU. Even if you think two close wins over two really bad teams is "really good"... how can two blowout losses to end the season be "really good"?

South Carolina is tough because they are circling this game as one of the most important games to judge Beamer. They will really want to win.
Oh, they "want to win" so that changes the reality of their roster and Beamer's inexperience? This somehow makes it "unlikely" that UT beats them?

And for Vandy we are going to be their super bowl and Lea will want nothing more than to start his career with a win.
And how does this exactly make this game anything more or less than an absolute blowout win for UT? UT was downright awful last year. Worse squandering of talent I think I've seen at UT... and that's saying something. But even at that and with JG at QB... the Vols scored more points vs Vandy than Mizzou and beat the absolute snot out of them. This is another case where they simply don't have the talent unless UT somehow hands them the game.

It's just going to be tough. Given that I expect UT to self-impose a bowl ban, the wins won't matter much anyway. Watch the game, evaluate the coaches and players, and the score is just going to be a number this year.
Actually teams with bowl bans have a tendency to make each game a "bowl game" of sorts. However UT's leadership would be absolutely STUPID to accept any kind of ban from the NCAA. In case you haven't read, the NCAA is on life support. They can't push anyone and need any friend they can find. There's a reasonably good chance that the NCAA as a governing body for FBS football will not exist in 5 years. UT has NO REASON to accept any penalty from them.

You can't judge this season on wins. Pruitt beat a good Auburn team in year 1 and how did he turn out? I would focus on how they play in the first half and do they continue to battle into the later part of the game. There are 3 guaranteed wins on this schedule, that's it. People talk of beating Pitt/Mizzou/SC/Vandy and they certainly could win those games, but I'd say it's unlikely. People underplay Pitt because of their conference, but that's a stable program with an experienced coach who will know what he wants to do to win just as we are getting our feet wet. Mizzoul looked really good to end the season last year so they might continue. South Carolina is tough because they are circling this game as one of the most important games to judge Beamer. They will really want to win. And for Vandy we are going to be their super bowl and Lea will want nothing more than to start his career with a win.

iu

This is my second time posting and I’m pretty new here. Definitely not new to being a vol fanatic though! Im kind of curious to see what other people are expecting to see this year. What would make you feel optimistic for the future? What would make you question it?
This is my list:
Optimistic

• Solid QB play. Doesn’t matter who, just someone who makes minimal mistakes.
  • Defense that doesn’t get burnt deep. Even if we allow them to score, I’d feel great if we at least make them work for it.
  • Keep it close with at least one of these following schools: Georgia, Florida or Bama.
Worrisome

• Not optimizing the places where we have talent. Whether that be getting them the ball as often as possible or having them contribute their strength on defense. Too many NFL players came here and barely played or weren’t used efficiently.
  • Recruiting is my main worry. However, I would feel just fine if we outperformed expectations and recruited according to that production.

10-2

Top heavy schedule. Most of the teams lack an explosive offense to match ours.

Reactions: Alto1
I know we've got a lot of question marks, but people are over hyping Missouri, SC, and Ky. As bad as we were last year, we beat 2 of those and JG and Pruitt handed KY that game last year, which the whole damn team gave up because of it.
Even with what we lost, none of those are more talented than us, or have a better coach than us.

This team will score some points. The guys that stayed have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Pitt shouldn't be a problem. Heupel is undefeated against Kiffin, but I don't know if that will happen this season.

7-8 wins minimum, 9 max

Reactions: Big Al Orange

WHAT lol???

Even if we self impose a bowl ban, the previous TWELVE GAMES still matter. They still go in the record book and so do the stats compiled.

How did you let this horse crap come out your mouth???

Vandy has LESS talent this season.
Oh and Mizzous LAST two games
49-14 LOSS to UGA
52-35 LOSS to Miss State..
Mississippi State!!
Maybe actually do some research on other teams and not just depend on internet gossip, Champ...

Defense line will surprise, Coach G will have D line up to the Task. Offense will be good if oline holds up. 7-5 floor, 9- 3 if everything goes right. Players that surprise- Young, Tillman, Harrison, Warren, Mitchell, Butler. Running backs by committee.

Reactions: KINGSVOL and Teezy
Worries:
Tennessee was HORRID last year. They lost a lot of talent and a lot of depth.

Getties:
Pruitt is gone!! For me, he was the worst handicap for any Tennessee team I have ever seen.

Lack of depth will hinder Tennessee this year; however, I think the lack of Pruitt will benefit them more than the lack of depth will hinder.

Less blowout losses and 5 wins will be a step forward. 6 wins and a bowl will get me excited. Anything above, along with competitive games will have me thinking “Freeze who”……..I knew Heupel was the right man all along.

Worries:
Tennessee was HORRID last year. They lost a lot of talent and a lot of depth.

Getties:
Pruitt is gone!! For me, he was the worst handicap for any Tennessee team I have ever seen.

Lack of depth will hinder Tennessee this year; however, I think the lack of Pruitt will benefit them more than the lack of depth will hinder.

Less blowout losses and 5 wins will be a step forward. 6 wins and a bowl will get me excited. Anything above, along with competitive games will have me thinking “Freeze who”……..I knew Heupel was the right man all along.

Gonna disagree with you here. 5 wins is NOT a step forward. That is performing below expectations and if we didn't have an all SEC schedule last year Pruitt would have likely had at least 5 wins.

VN Store

Back