Honda Issues

Coug

So lately I have been having an issue with the fuel evap system on my 2000 Honda Accord. The first symptom was difficulty filling up the fuel tank because the pump kept shutting off. Fast forward a week ahead and my car throws a P1457 error and I could smell slight gas fumes coming from the front end. I called my local shop and they said they could take a look at it but don't have the diagnostic machine to truly work on it. Upon inspection they found a small hole in one of the tubes and swapped out the bad tube for a new piece. This cleared the engine light and I can no longer smell fumes. A few days later I need to get gas. I'm still having issues with the gas pump shutting off so I'm afraid it might actually be the charcoal canister? I called Honda and they want $128 in labor and the canister is another ~$170. This was just me talking to them on the phone I have not taken the car in yet. The car has ~157K miles on it give or take.

Any suggestions, recommendations other than Honda?

Are you filling up with those pumps which have the rubber bellows on the tube which goes into your tank tube?

So lately I have been having an issue with the fuel evap system on my 2000 Honda Accord. The first symptom was difficulty filling up the fuel tank because the pump kept shutting off. Fast forward a week ahead and my car throws a P1457 error and I could smell slight gas fumes coming from the front end. I called my local shop and they said they could take a look at it but don't have the diagnostic machine to truly work on it. Upon inspection they found a small hole in one of the tubes and swapped out the bad tube for a new piece. This cleared the engine light and I can no longer smell fumes. A few days later I need to get gas. I'm still having issues with the gas pump shutting off so I'm afraid it might actually be the charcoal canister? I called Honda and they want $128 in labor and the canister is another ~$170. This was just me talking to them on the phone I have not taken the car in yet. The car has ~157K miles on it give or take.

car troubles suck! I have no meaningful advice for you! I’m more so baffled you have a 20 year old Honda that only has 157k on it! You get this fuel thing straightened out I think you have another 20 years left in it

Get a Chiltons manual for that model, or a Haynes, but I prefer Chiltons. Autozone will check codes for free. Dealership should be last resort. I believe you can replace that canister yourself.

honda charcoal canister at DuckDuckGo

Are you filling up with those pumps which have the rubber bellows on the tube which goes into your tank tube?

I had to google this to even see what you were talking about....obviously we don't have them where I purchase fuel.
I guess you are saying that there is an inadequate vent path??

I had to google this to even see what you were talking about....obviously we don't have them where I purchase fuel.
I guess you are saying that there is an inadequate vent path??
Correct. Some stations around me have those and the handle will click off from back pressure (I guess).

have a 13 Honda CRV for work.

transmission has always stuttered. not my fav car but, what you gonna do.

Not sure what you mean by "stuttered". My acuras will do a weird transmission thing where there is a slight delay in the shift, the tachometer will fluctuate about 150 rpms higher/lower if driving at the speed close to when it shifts into next gear....like on a secondary road. It isnt enough to draw attention to it immediately but something I notice over time.

Changing the trans fluid completely alleviates the issues. And it's corrected it in every Acura I've had with that little quirk.

My '15 Odyssey was doing the same thing. Had the transmission fluid changed and it resolved that, running better than new now.

Reactions: Jackcrevol

Most likely the canister has became filled and gas isn’t going in as it should due to the canister not releasing the gas pressures into the engine.

You might start with the purge valve and lines from the canister to the engine.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
All different gas stations: Pilot, Speedway, Conoco.

On this car is the valve/tube test something you can do from the top side of the engine or do I have to go underneath it?
The test appear to be performed from underneath.

I’ve replaced several canisters and it’s the cheapest easiest option. Once it worked. There is also a solenoid but usually it is the gas vent solenoid on top of the actual gas tank

car troubles suck! I have no meaningful advice for you! I’m more so baffled you have a 20 year old Honda that only has 157k on it! You get this fuel thing straightened out I think you have another 20 years left in it

2002 Acura MDX 267,000 miles right here. Just replace what needs replacing and regular maintenance....these things last.

Kinda unrelated, and I don’t know any of the fine print, but I saw recently on the Apple Tree Honda (Asheville, NC) website that they are offering 10yr/1,000,000mi powertrain warranties.

VN Store

Back