Holly Warlick Future

I agree in theory, but having talented players (or at least, players who had a good reputation in high school) is just the means to reaching an end (winning games). The fact that Tennessee has 6 McDonald's All-Americans currently on the roster with another on the way next season, should make the job more attractive to prospective head coaches... but of course, that only matters if Fulmer has the wherewithal to make a change.

I am about positive that he will make the change this year.... he set it up last year by lowering her buy out for this season.

If we hire the right coach, we will be in the top ten if not higher next year.... all the attendance shows is that fans are fair weather fans.
I disagree. I think it shows that we have smart fans who can see that we need a change at head coach and the only way to help start that change is in the wallet. Hence empty seats equals less revenue.

If I had my druthers, I would prefer they give her a promotion within the system. She has been a credit to the LV's, just not as a head coach. Just as with a lot of coaches, I'm sure there is no "quit" in her.

I agree, I think she should be provided an option for assignment to another position in the athletic department, however, if she refuses they need to let her go. This program deserves a better head coach.

Holly has continued to have very fine recruiting classes as measured by 5Star and such. But why is it that they get here and their offensive game whithers away. So many cannot shoot anywhere near the expected level. This has been a bugaboo for years. Anybody have an answer to that?
Just a suggestion, but let's change sporting types and look back at UT's situation with Butch Jones running the football program. His recruiting classes were exemplary. However, after being morphed down from 4* & 5* potential studs into stunning disappointments, maybe-just-maybe you can visualize what's been happening to our vaunted LVs. It's time for a change...sooner rather than later. GBO!

Reactions: arkivol and Ratvol
I'm surprised the AD gave her a contract extension last year.

I was looking at the attendance numbers I've the past ten years and it's sad.

If Holly stays for another few years, attendance could drop below 7000.

Our program hasn’t sunk at all..... we have a lot of talent on campus and the number 2 player in the country already signed.... I have no doubt Holly will be replaced this year.... Let’s just hope we make the right choice for our next head coach.
Can I get that in writing? I'll believe it (her being replaced this year) when I see it and not before. Gutless administrators.

Reactions: sccshortstop
No way Fulmer fires her in season given his own experience. But the lady Vols brand is too important for him not to be thinking about what ifs/what's next. Let it play out and always root for the team in orange.

Reactions: sccshortstop
This win took a little heat off but the house is still on fire. A lot more work is needed to get the flames under some semblance of control. Florida at home should be a win (and it is a must win really). Then Vandy on the road and the trip to Starkville are the real litmus tests.

Really, the team has left itself with no real margin for error. They can't drop any conference games except perhaps to MissST and USC without being in real jeopardy of missing the tournament. They may need a quality win against one of those two to buttress their record. They are going to have to play better than they did tonight. This game was an improvement but they were coming out from a deep, deep hole.

Reactions: glv98 and Momto2
Holly has continued to have very fine recruiting classes as measured by 5Star and such. But why is it that they get here and their offensive game whithers away. So many cannot shoot anywhere near the expected level. This has been a bugaboo for years. Anybody have an answer to that?
This is way too easy!!!
4fbb6650-e812-45bf-904f-a23847b998a9-KNS-ladymurray-122981.JPG

Reactions: montbb47 and T.J.
Holly will never be fired by Fulmer or UT. The word fired will never be used in any change regarding her status in my opinion. She may retire per agreement between her and UT or she may be moved to an associate AD job or some other named position. That being said we do need a new head coach for Ladyvols basketball. She has not been able to transition from assistant coach to head coach and never will. Our program is sinking fast along with the attendance numbers.

Hopefully, Fulmer will just allow her contract to expire. We have gone from top # 5 team, to top # 10 team, to top # 15 team and now may not make tourney. We used to lose to teams that were better than us, then we started losing to teams that were slightly worse than us & now we are losing to teams that have less talent than us.
In the end, if Holly remains, we will make NCAA 1 in 5 seasons and we will be expected to be happy about that.
The way to end this is for attendance to go down extremely & Fulmer to take notice.

Reactions: sport3500
I will say it again-- we need a coach that will bring immediate fire into the Lady Vols-- my pick is Becky Hammon- Fist lady to be a coach in the NBA ! Shes asst for Spurs and Popovich picked her cause she's an unbelievable bb mind -watch her coach the guys - she wants HC job in NBA but has considered college - Florida went for her but bad offer - I say offer her big bucks - give her control - if she can fire up NBA guys think what she would do with LV-- she was great college and pro player with fire and grit and now a great coach in the NBA
HAMMON!!!! May have some Pat in her because of her willing to take on anything

Attachments

• B hammon.jpg
    B hammon.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Hammon 2.jpg
    Hammon 2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 5
Just a suggestion, but let's change sporting types and look back at UT's situation with Butch Jones running the football program. His recruiting classes were exemplary. However, after being morphed down from 4* & 5* potential studs into stunning disappointments, maybe-just-maybe you can visualize what's been happening to our vaunted LVs. It's time for a change...sooner rather than later. GBO!
If you think of coaches as teachers or professors and the athletes as students, which they should be thought of since after all it is still a university, then these coaches should in no way achieve tenure!

The equivalent would be a professor with a class full of high school valedictorians who leave their class unable to spell their own names. Not fair to the students/recruits in any way.

Keeping it in the realm of the possible, Rick Insel, current MTSU coach, should be given a look, especially if Wes Moore says no. Rick is a Tennessean who Pat really liked and respected and has been a very successful coach of young women at every level. However he is not allowed to bring the Hayes family back with him!

Last edited:
There is a difference between individual teams and the actual program.... The program itself is still very solid.
Agree and believe that the Program itself will always be respected, however the program's relevance will diminish significantly over the years if this downward spiral continues. It already. Just look at any sports cast and how the change of conversation continues downward.

It is obvious, number 1 class a few years ago and the results are not showing up on the court.

I think no matter what us fans think Holly still has next season if she can pull this team together and make the NCAA Tourney. The word will be we were young. Then of course if we fail next season it will definitely put the AD in a must move situation. Right now I think missing the NCAA could do it otherwise more Holly.

If you think of coaches as teachers or professors and the athletes as students, which they should be thought of since after all it is still a university, then these coaches should in no way achieve tenure!

The equivalent would be a professor with a class full of high school valedictorians who leave their class unable to spell their own names. Not fair to the students/recruits in any way.

Keeping it in the realm of the possible, Rick Insel, current MTSU coach, should be given a look, especially if Wes Moore says no. Rick is a Tennessean who Pat really liked and respected and has been a very successful coach of young women at every level. However he is not allowed to bring the Hayes family back with him!
Let's make this a little more personal. Holly is the CEO of your company you have invested many dollars because you believe in this product that is being produced. Are you a Board Member happy with the performance of your CEO. I am gonna guess No. The product is not saleable and you are losing money. How long do you give your CEO the opportunity to make this right...3 yrs, 4yrs, 7yrs...how long.

Reactions: glv98
Holly will never be fired by Fulmer or UT. The word fired will never be used in any change regarding her status in my opinion. She may retire per agreement between her and UT or she may be moved to an associate AD job or some other named position. That being said we do need a new head coach for Ladyvols basketball. She has not been able to transition from assistant coach to head coach and never will. Our program is sinking fast along with the attendance numbers.

I don't think they would fire her during the season anyway. If they fire her, it will be once the season has concluded, and depending on how the team performs the rest of the way. I agree they need to make a change as one win vs. this LSU team is hardly a sign of improvement. With that being said, I am certainly glad to see them win again, finally. We will need to see how they perform against one of the better teams in the conference to know if any strides have been made.

To the title of this thread....She has a future????? Not at UT I hope
If anything after this season she will announce she’s stepping down as coach and move into the AD office as an assistant or something. One thing is for sure there will be a new coach next year barring a huge miracle turnaround...

Love of the university should motivate her to retire. She has the years and age to take retirement with a good check. She could consult about recruiting but not coaching

VN Store

Back