Historians rank top Presidents on Leadership

JFK should also be way down the list. His time was too short to form an opinion one way or another. Not knocking the guy but had he lived on his time in office might not have lived up to the hype.

jfk was one of the most overrated presidents in american history. i've never understood why some people act like he was one of the greatest presidents we've ever had.

No one with any sense buys into the ignorant notion that "the Civil War wasn't about slavery!"

only an idiot buys into the fact that the civil war was the north's moral crusade against slavery, thats pretty foolish. i mean this is an arguement that will go on forever, but i will say that slavery was a catalyst in the process in the territories and expansionism, is what finally pushed it over the edge is when lincoln was elected and he didnt even get a single vote in the south, many southern states felt they had lost their political efficacy, but if you want to believe that lincoln his holy crusaders were trying to abolish slavery on some moral kick then i got some ocean front property in AZ to sell you

jfk was one of the most overrated presidents in american history. i've never understood why some people act like he was one of the greatest presidents we've ever had.

More often than not, you will be greater in death than you ever were in life.

slavery was an economic issue.

the North had a large influx of immigrants from Europe, so it is cheaper and easier to pay some irishman a penny or 2 a day to work and if he is maimed or killed easily replaced, whereas in the south you didnt have that mass influx of immigrants, and therefore slavery was used to procure workers.

The fact is that most Federal soldiers were fighting to preserve the Union, not free the slaves. That said, slavery was the main cause of the war, albeit not the only one.

The fact is that most Federal soldiers were fighting to preserve the Union, not free the slaves. That said, slavery was the main cause of the war, albeit not the only one.

its brought all of the issues together to a head, and then the election of lincoln sealed the deal

LBJ and Carter shouldn't be in the top 40.

LBJ gets a lot of credit post-presidency for his domestic policies and for what he did for minorities.

IMO, JFK is consistently ranked high because of what LBJ accomplished on the home front because Johnson said he would continue JFK's policies.

LBJ gets a lot of credit post-presidency for his domestic policies and for what he did for minorities.
IMO, JFK is consistently ranked high because of what LBJ accomplished on the home front because Johnson said he would continue JFK's policies.

some of these policies needed a sunset...

Please. Carter ahead of anyone is an abortion. A was adisaster fiscally, but he was a better leader than Carter has ever dreamed of being.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

+1

The fact that Carter was not only not at (or near) the bottom but also ahead of 16 other people doesn't speak much for the validity of this survey.

I also thought the top of the list was slanted in favor of 20th century presidents. I'm surprised we got out of the 19th century with all those awful leaders our forefathers kept electing.

The list isn't meant to detail the greatest presidents, right? It is the greatest leaders among presidents...I see how that could possibly shake things up.

George Washington i say blows everyone out of the water on the list as far as leadership goes,,,,

LBJ's "Great Society" led to many problems we have today.

Last edited:
The list isn't meant to detail the greatest presidents, right? It is the greatest leaders among presidents...I see how that could possibly shake things up.

I honestly don't think what they've attempted to do is too far off this mark.

I think people forget Carter lost the popular vote to Reagan by 9%. For comparison, McCain lost to Obama by 7%. He was not the widely unpopular President people have tried to portray him as of late.
that doesn't change that Carter was the meekest leader in the history of our presidency. His pandering set us back about 1,000 years in Middle East relations.

I think people forget Carter lost the popular vote to Reagan by 9%. For comparison, McCain lost to Obama by 7%. He was not the widely unpopular President people have tried to portray him as of late.

popular vote isn't what elects the President. In 1980 Reagan received 489 Electoral votes to Carter's 49. The Reagan landslide was even more profound in 1984.

Popular vote is somewhat skewed anyway since the largest population centers like NYC, Chicago, and LA tend to vote overwhelmingly democrat.

only an idiot buys into the fact that the civil war was the north's moral crusade against slavery, thats pretty foolish. i mean this is an arguement that will go on forever, but i will say that slavery was a catalyst in the process in the territories and expansionism, is what finally pushed it over the edge is when lincoln was elected and he didnt even get a single vote in the south, many southern states felt they had lost their political efficacy, but if you want to believe that lincoln his holy crusaders were trying to abolish slavery on some moral kick then i got some ocean front property in AZ to sell you
Not one of those states rights guys again... The Civil War was fought over slavery.

Last edited:
Not one of those states rights guys again...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. While I'll admit that slavery had its influence on the each state's choice on session, it was certainly not the only reason. To say otherwise so "matter of factly" is far too bold.

If there was no slavery, there was no Civil War. The reason for the state seceding was because they were afraid they were going to lose the rights to own slaves.

If there was no slavery, there was no Civil War. The reason for the state seceding was because they were afraid they were going to lose the rights to own slaves.

or it was because a president was in office that they did no elect, and they were afraid of losing their states rights, their protection under the 10th ammendment.

or it was because a president was in office that they did no elect, and they were afraid of losing their states rights, their protection under the 10th ammendment.
The only right they were worried about losing, was the right to enslave others.

VN Store

Back