Fall Creek Falls 2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 1 person
Fall Creek Falls State Park Part 2 - Piney Creek Falls

Attachments

• Piney Creek Falls.jpg
    Piney Creek Falls.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1
I've done the Rocky Top hike which was extremely challenging but some of the best views I have ever seen, and Gregory's Bald this year. Now I'm moving to Dallas and I'm going to miss the mountains so badly.....

I've done the Rocky Top hike which was extremely challenging but some of the best views I have ever seen, and Gregory's Bald this year. Now I'm moving to Dallas and I'm going to miss the mountains so badly.....

I hiked Rocky Top about 1 month ago. It was BRUTAL!! The hike is 7 miles each way but a 3500' elevation gain!! Brutal but the views were amazing. It was cloudy & rainy on the way up but when we got there is was clear as can be. The rhodendrums were in full bloom. We even found an Orange one. It was well worth the effort but we will not hike it again. we even wore our Orange & White, (both the wife & I are Alum) Amazing pics!!! I carried my #BrickByBrick it about killed me..

I hiked Rocky Top about 1 month ago. It was BRUTAL!! The hike is 7 miles each way but a 3500' elevation gain!! Brutal but the views were amazing. It was cloudy & rainy on the way up but when we got there is was clear as can be. The rhodendrums were in full bloom. We even found an Orange one. It was well worth the effort but we will not hike it again. we even wore our Orange & White, (both the wife & I are Alum) Amazing pics!!! I carried my #BrickByBrick it about killed me..

Very hard hike, but definitely worth it as a fan and alumni. I doubt I will do it again, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky and you could see for miles. It was so beautiful. I carried some rocks back down from Rocky Top just to have some from there. The added weight wasn't much fun

Was going to post pictures but the file was apparently too big

Last edited:
First date with wife was a hike in GSMNP (Greenbriar Pinnacle).

And, the last date with any woman before her was hike in GSMNP (Laurel Falls and beyond).

Last edited:
Have been wanting to hike Rocky Top. Define "brutal." My wife and I are both in good shape.

I'm 22 years old, just graduated from UT, work out about 5 days a week and played basketball through high school and am still in good shape. Granted this was my first hike of the year, but it was very very tough and we were extremely exhausted by the time we were nearing the top. Coming down was a breeze as always.

If you set out with enough time and daylight and are in good shape, I highly recommend you try it. It will test your wills but the views are second to none, especially as a Vols fan. Get started early because depending on how many breaks you take, it takes a good amount of the day and you want to be able to spend plenty of time up top.

The website my buddy printed off before we did it listed it as one of the toughest hikes.

I have done 110 miles of the AT this year and plan to do another 140 miles before the end of the year. Love it! Doing a quick overnighter this weekend from Allen Gap to Hot Springs.

I have done 110 miles of the AT this year and plan to do another 140 miles before the end of the year. Love it! Doing a quick overnighter this weekend from Allen Gap to Hot Springs.

You put us to shame, we are at around 89 miles this year.

Went on the Bear lake hike at Rocky Mountain NP. It was still froze over 4 weeks ago. In a word, beautiful. We then drove to Grand Teton NP for 3 days. While there we did the String lake to Leigh lake hike. My God in heaven it was the most beautiful, majestic and inspiring thing I have ever seen. Also hiked to Hidden falls, Just add the adjectives I have already used for it too. We couldn't go any farther into Cascade canyon because there was still about 6 ft of soft snow on the horse trails, and the bridge across the creek had been washed away. We then went to Yellowstone for three days, and walked every thermal area. Also hiked the Uncle Toms point trail at Yellowstone and hiked around the rim on both sides some. We estimate we walked 20+ miles while out there. I really don't have any words to describe the powerful, spiritual beauty I was blessed to witness. My feeble vocabulary does not suffice. If you love nature and have a bit of Muir in you. Do whatever you can to go out there. We sacrificed birthdays, Christmas and anniversary to go and eating out, movies etc to go. It was beyond worth it. Sorry for the poor grammar, I am really sleepy.:thumbsup:

I spent a summer "working" in YNP. Every day off was spent hiking. Did over 300 miles of various trails and barely scratched the surface. The great thing about YNP is the diversity of the terrain from the north Roosevelt location to Canyon (where I worked), the Lake and Old Faithful. It's like four different parks.

One day I plan to take the wife and kids out there for a few weeks.

Was talking to a friend who carries wasp spray foggers instead of predator spray. He says the cone is much larger at 30' than your typical predator spray.

I might have to try it to see.

Was talking to a friend who carries wasp spray foggers instead of predator spray. He says the cone is much larger at 30' than your typical predator spray.

I might have to try it to see.

Bear spray is not needed on the East coast as there are very few actual predators. I do however always carry my pistol in the woods for the two-leggers.

VN Store

Back