Hiking Thread

Not a must have as they aren't a true waterproof, but for me it's if I am crossing a stream and have to rock hop I have a better chance of keeping my feet dry even with a quick misstep - water will get in quicker on the not waterproof versions. That's just my experience.

I wear cotton socks and get no blisters. I think blisters are because of bad fit of socks/shoes. My hiking shoes are 1/2 size bigger than my tennis shoes even though my normal size could probably still fit. Got to have room for those toes going downhill.
This. Socks, regardless of material need to fit snug to avoid unnecessary movement. Personally, I think most hiking socks are too thick, unless you’re going in frigid conditions. My summer hiking shoes fit like my running shoes and I use a thinner sock.

I use Gaia, and pay for the regular membership (the premium membership gives you a lot more maps though). You can use current and historical topo maps, it will track you in airplane mode and all your hikes backup and sync online.

I was reading the reviews for gaia and it seems like alot of people were having GPS trouble since a recent update.

I was reading the reviews for gaia and it seems like alot of people were having GPS trouble since a recent update.

I’ve not personally had any problems with it lately on my iPhone (I’ve used it to hike every weekend since Jan. 1) but that’s not to say others aren’t. The developer is really responsive though and if there are problems they push out fixes quickly.

This. Socks, regardless of material need to fit snug to avoid unnecessary movement. Personally, I think most hiking socks are too thick, unless you’re going in frigid conditions. My summer hiking shoes fit like my running shoes and I use a thinner sock.

I only get the lightweight merino ones, and if it’s cold I wear a thin pair of wool liners underneath. You don’t want them to fit too tight because it will negatively impact their ability to insulate, but you don’t want them too lose either to bunch and rub.

I use Gaia, and pay for the regular membership (the premium membership gives you a lot more maps though). You can use current and historical topo maps, it will track you in airplane mode and all your hikes backup and sync online.
I’ve been thinking about using it. I’m assuming you’re happy with it?

I’ve been thinking about using it. I’m assuming you’re happy with it?

Yes, it’s my go to tracker. Works offline, has an Apple Watch app, you can export tracks and the subscription is reasonable. I also use one called Maps3D that’s for iPhone only. It lacks the watch app and ability to sync, but it shows the terrain you’re hiking in 3D, which is pretty cool.

Yes, it’s my go to tracker. Works offline, has an Apple Watch app, you can export tracks and the subscription is reasonable. I also use one called Maps3D that’s for iPhone only. It lacks the watch app and ability to sync, but it shows the terrain you’re hiking in 3D, which is pretty cool.
Red (the wife) is a fan of it being compatible with her watch.

Red (the wife) is a fan of it being compatible with her watch.

It’s nice not needing to get your phone out to check miles or the map. WorkOutDoors is another that has watch tracking functionality and lets you download vector maps to the watch itself. I like it too, but the phone app is lacking and it really does a number on the watch battery.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Made it up to the Greenbrier Pinnacle overlook and the old fire tower site the two Saturdays ago. Despite being abandoned in the early 80s the old Jeep road/trail is still easy to follow and it’s only overgrown in a few spots. The entire hike was only about 10 miles roundtrip.
hgewXMA.jpg
Q65VhwH.jpg
YhAdavO.jpg
Ool9Mxt.jpg
3aWfXHU.jpg
GvUdUm2.jpg
26vtpCo.jpg
J2cuwX0.jpg
olzGdRi.jpg

Made it up to the Greenbrier Pinnacle overlook and the old fire tower site the two Saturdays ago. Despite being abandoned in the early 80s the old Jeep road/trail is still easy to follow and it’s only overgrown in a few spots. The entire hike was only about 10 miles roundtrip.
hgewXMA.jpg
Q65VhwH.jpg
YhAdavO.jpg
Ool9Mxt.jpg
3aWfXHU.jpg
GvUdUm2.jpg
26vtpCo.jpg
J2cuwX0.jpg
olzGdRi.jpg
Is that the Mt. Cammerer fire tower? I really enjoyed that hike...I did it on a weekday and had the tower to myself after 2 thru hikers left after sleeping in it for the night.....Another hike I need to redo is Ramsey's Cascades...the only time I hiked it was a miserable experience..it had rained alot the previous days and all I remember was tripping over tree roots, slippery rocks, and hiking miles it seemed in a trail flooded up over my anklesFB_IMG_1584565987745.jpgFB_IMG_1584565982787.jpgFB_IMG_1584565977807.jpg

Is that the Mt. Cammerer fire tower? I really enjoyed that hike...I did it on a weekday and had the tower to myself after 2 thru hikers left after sleeping in it for the night.....Another hike I need to redo is Ramsey's Cascades...the only time I hiked it was a miserable experience..it had rained alot the previous days and all I remember was tripping over tree roots, slippery rocks, and hiking miles it seemed in a trail flooded up over my anklesView attachment 267105View attachment 267106View attachment 267107

No, it’s the old Greenbrier Pinnacle Firetower. Just the ruins are there now (you can see them in one of the pics). It starts at the “turnaround” where the Ramsey Cascade Trail goes from the old road bed to the single track trail. It’s about a 3.5 mile hike from that point up to the old fire tower. They evidently closed the trail back in 1982 because of Peregrine falcons that were nesting up there. It still gets regular use though, and was in better shape than some wilderness area trails I’ve hiked. Also; I still haven’t been up to Cammerer yet. I really need to tackle it sooner rather than later

Is that the Mt. Cammerer fire tower? I really enjoyed that hike...I did it on a weekday and had the tower to myself after 2 thru hikers left after sleeping in it for the night.....Another hike I need to redo is Ramsey's Cascades...the only time I hiked it was a miserable experience..it had rained alot the previous days and all I remember was tripping over tree roots, slippery rocks, and hiking miles it seemed in a trail flooded up over my anklesView attachment 267105View attachment 267106View attachment 267107
I enjoyed this hike... but I got a bit to smart... went over the backside of the tower, steep decline, because I just knew there had to be a shortcut to the lower trail back. Lol... got hung up in the thickets and struggled to get back up to the tower. Don’t think there was a short cut.

Reactions: VolnJC
I enjoyed this hike... but I got a bit to smart... went over the backside of the tower, steep decline, because I just knew there had to be a shortcut to the lower trail back. Lol... got hung up in the thickets and struggled to get back up to the tower. Don’t think there was a short cut.

there’s supposed to be a Manway you can take down Groundhog Ridge that is shorter (but much steeper than Low Gap) and puts you out on 321

VN Store

Back