Hiking Thread

Looks will attract you & the comfort will keep you in em. Read the reviews on whatever you’re going after.
My lineup includes (2) Salomon, (2) Keen, (2) Vasque & 1 Merrell & I don’t even hike. Favorites are the Vasque’s, they just feel the best to me. Least favorite are the Salomon.

Probably have the same shoe problem as Slice, but I’m not gonna show a pic of the 17 pairs of Asics, 4 non-hiking boots & the 22 dress/casuals in the closet. Hi my names Orange Sunset, I love shoes, I can’t help it & I’m never gonna change.

Can’t go wrong with Thorlo socks. Been wearing em since mid 80’s. Love em

THORLOS® | We don't make socks | We protect Your Feet

The Best Hiking Boots for Women

Reactions: volwindy
Looks will attract you & the comfort will keep you in em. Read the reviews on whatever you’re going after.
My lineup includes (2) Salomon, (2) Keen, (2) Vasque & 1 Merrell & I don’t even hike. Favorites are the Vasque’s, they just feel the best to me. Least favorite are the Salomon.

Probably have the same shoe problem as Slice, but I’m not gonna show a pic of the 17 pairs of Asics, 4 non-hiking boots & the 22 dress/casuals in the closet. Hi my names Orange Sunset, I love shoes, I can’t help it & I’m never gonna change.

T Man is a shoe guy too. On one of our first dates, we went shopping and he bought shoes. LMAO!!!!

Reactions: Guest
T Man is a shoe guy too. On one of our first dates, we went shopping and he bought shoes. LMAO!!!!
True Facts
Men: Goes to shoe store – already know what they want - try on shoes – they fit – pay – out the door – total time 15 minutes

Women: Goes to shoe store – no idea what they want – try on 15 pair in 12 different stores – goes back to first store – try’s on first pair again - they fit – pay - out the door – total time 2 hours 37 minutes

Men don’t shop they buy. Women shop

I have learned not to go shopping with any lady for dresses or shoes. My biological clock is ticking & I just don’t have time for that anymore!!

Reactions: Danl and hog88
True Facts
Men: Goes to shoe store – already know what they want - try on shoes – they fit – pay – out the door – total time 15 minutes

Women: Goes to shoe store – no idea what they want – try on 15 pair in 12 different stores – goes back to first store – try’s on first pair again - they fit – pay - out the door – total time 2 hours 37 minutes

Men don’t shop they buy. Women shop

I have learned not to go shopping with any lady for dresses or shoes. My biological clock is ticking & I just don’t have time for that anymore!!
I hate shopping. Tman loves it. lol

I know people love soloman but I could not get a comfortable fit when trying them on.

I know people love soloman but I could not get a comfortable fit when trying them on.
No doubt Salomon's are a quality boot but if they don't fit right, doesn't do any good.

For those that are serious hikers, something some of ya'll might be interested in, Ambassador/Sponsorship for the footwear gear you use.
Merrell has a Ambassador page for humans but the only thing I could find bout applying was YouTube videos, no website application:
Meet The Ambassadors | Merrell
Merrell did have a contest looking for the first dog ambassador:
Dog Ambassador Contest | Merrell

Lowa calls it sponsorship & has a application online:
Request for LOWA Sponsorship | LOWA Boots USA

These are the only two I looked at

Question about shoes. Is the waterproof feature something that is a must have ?

Question about socks. Does anyone else have an issue with socks that contain polyester/spandex ? Socks that contain the stretchy type materials cause my feet to sweat which makes me super uncomfortable. I've heard that 100% cotton socks will cause blister for long hikes though.

Question about socks. Does anyone else have an issue with socks that contain polyester/spandex ? Socks that contain the stretchy type materials cause my feet to sweat which makes me super uncomfortable. I've heard that 100% cotton socks will cause blister for long hikes though.
Not a must have as they aren't a true waterproof, but for me it's if I am crossing a stream and have to rock hop I have a better chance of keeping my feet dry even with a quick misstep - water will get in quicker on the not waterproof versions. That's just my experience.

I wear cotton socks and get no blisters. I think blisters are because of bad fit of socks/shoes. My hiking shoes are 1/2 size bigger than my tennis shoes even though my normal size could probably still fit. Got to have room for those toes going downhill.

Reactions: goldenvol

I tend to prefer wearing shoes that will drain and dry quickly instead of going the waterproof route. Once you get water inside the water proof ones it’s like walking around with fish bowls on your feet. Just make sure you wear some wool socks that will still provide insulation when wet and you’ll be good.

Not a must have as they aren't a true waterproof, but for me it's if I am crossing a stream and have to rock hop I have a better chance of keeping my feet dry even with a quick misstep - water will get in quicker on the not waterproof versions. That's just my experience.

I wear cotton socks and get no blisters. I think blisters are because of bad fit of socks/shoes. My hiking shoes are 1/2 size bigger than my tennis shoes even though my normal size could probably still fit. Got to have room for those toes going downhill.

I’d swap the cotton socks for some wool or a synthetic material. Cotton dries slow and doesn’t insulate once it gets wet.

How have I never seen this thread? I miss my ancient Raichle boots, bought in 1974 for Colorado Outward Bound. They served me faithfully for 20-some years.

Last edited:
Anyone have suggestions on easy hiking trails around Cosby/Gatlinburg? We have a lot in a campground in cosby year round and I would like to start exploring the area.

My son is 6 and I would like to get him out with me, so I would need trails that were fairly easy and well marked.

Anyone have suggestions on easy hiking trails around Cosby/Gatlinburg? We have a lot in a campground in cosby year round and I would like to start exploring the area.

My son is 6 and I would like to get him out with me, so I would need trails that were fairly easy and well marked.
Cross the border and head into NC. Cataloochee is an excellent area for easy hikes and elk

Porter's Creek is in Cosby area and awesome in the spring and easy 4 miles rt but the 1st mile is basically a road...old homes and cabins.. a cantilever barn and small waterfall at the end
Hiking in the Smokies | HikingintheSmokys.com

Porters Creek Trail - Porters Creek Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains

Cross the border and head into NC. Cataloochee is an excellent area for easy hikes and elk
Sounds good, but I was trying to stay close to the campground because my wife isnt much of the hiking type. I dont want to get to far away and be gone too long so I can get back soon enough to spend rest of day doing family time.
Maybe within 20 to 30 min drive away from campground. I should have been more specific, sorry.

Reactions: VolnJC

Also Ogle's Farm loop is a 1 mile loop with barns cabin and an old mill..your son would like the foot bridges over the creek...I posted some pics above..the trailhead is about 3 miles from the Space Needle next to Rainbow Falls trail

Gabe’s Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls is a good one that starts at the Cosby Campground. Just be careful taking the spur trail down to the falls. It can get slick. It’s about 4 miles round trip and easy hiking except for that last little bit.

Gabe’s Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls is a good one that starts at the Cosby Campground. Just be careful taking the spur trail down to the falls. It can get slick. It’s about 4 miles round trip and easy hiking except for that last little bit.

I will look it up. I had found a really easy 1 mile loop that was at cosby campground that I figured I could get my wife to do with us. I would love to get her involved, but she's more of a sit outside the camper and read kinda girl.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back