High School Football Participation Has Dropped To It's Lowest Level In 20 Years

Tennesseefan2019

ALL LIVES MATTER!
High School Football participation has dropped to the lowest level it's been since 1999. I think this has to do with the worries of parents about head injuries and possible future brain damage. I think football wont exist as a sport in 20 years because of lawsuits concerning head injuries and brain damage along with parents not allowing their children to play football which will encourage the Government to pass laws which pretty much ban football.

High school football participation drops to lowest point since 1999 - FootballScoop

Football as we know it today will no longer be played in another 30 years probaly

Probably . I think interest in playing and watching is on a slow decline.

While Watching the games in college and NFL this past weekend, there were a lot of empty seats. Sometimes entire sections were empty.

Agreed. It is still my favorite sport but I don't let my son play. I don't think we've fully realized what playing does to people in their 40s, 50, 60s.
I played and my boys played from the youngest age through high school. None of us played in college. I know there have been serious injuries and even deaths associated with football players in high school, but I am curious as to the concussion part for kids that age. We have read a lot about former nfl players with CTE, but I have not seen any studies about the impact to players not getting to the collegiate or nfl level. Obviously, the risk is there, but I assume the significantly bigger and faster players in the collegiate and nfl levels are impacted at a higher percentage. Has anyone seen any report/studies of CTE for players not moving to the higher levels?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I played and my boys played from the youngest age through high school. None of us played in college. I know there have been serious injuries and even deaths associated with football players in high school, but I am curious as to the concussion part for kids that age. We have read a lot about former nfl players with CTE, but I have not seen any studies about the impact to players not getting to the collegiate or nfl level. Obviously, the risk is there, but I assume the significantly bigger and faster players in the collegiate and nfl levels are impacted at a higher percentage. Has anyone seen any report/studies of CTE for players not moving to the higher levels?

I haven't.

But would bet a lot of high school games at this point are played with the size and speed of college games from the late 70s or early 80s.

Here's a couple of old articles but they're the only ones that I could find

High School Football Players Face Bigger Concussion Risk

Concussion Rates Double Among High School Athletes: Report

Reactions: VolsFan-TX
Football has some serious issues to address in the next several years. Realize, however that the highest rate of concussions occur in soccer. This information can't usually be found in the media who's only goal is to push a narrative, but if you research state high school athletic associations you can find it.

High School Football participation has dropped to the lowest level it's been since 1999. I think this has to do with the worries of parents about head injuries and possible future brain damage. I think football wont exist as a sport in 20 years because of lawsuits concerning head injuries and brain damage along with parents not allowing their children to play football which will encourage the Government to pass laws which pretty much ban football.

High school football participation drops to lowest point since 1999 - FootballScoop
Boxing isn't outlawed so why the hell would football be?

My son reluctantly sat out this year, Junior, for back issues. Has been feeling good and wanting to go back, but thought since he hasn't been there since weight training last season.....But, we are a small HS (Jackson County), and I told him if he was ready, he'd be starting again by end of first game back. Best starting small lineman around last year (170lb as a soph) IMO. But, he decided to wait and give it a full year. He feels good. Swinging the bat in baseball workouts pain free. didn't want to blow his Junior baseball season like he did last year. Oddly, his back injuries after both prior seasons were from dead lifts and squats, not the field. He is no longer allowed to do dead lifts and squats. No PARS at L3 and L4. Snapped them. Plus 3 hairline fractures at base. I'm sure injuries play a lot in the lack of players. mostly concussion issues. We weren't going to let him start playing in middle school because of early age concussions and he knew it. So, he just came home one day and said he was on team.

So I'm just a humble accountant but I've always wondered why they don't put padding on the outside as well as the inside of the helmet.

Serious studies show that Girls sports (comparing same sport-sport, softball, soccer for example) girls are twice as likely to get a concussion than boys. Once football is taken down, the same people pushing for 100% safe sports will find another sport to vilify. I don't think it is the "danger" of football causing the lack of participation, but a general softening of the males in the U.S.

Reactions: Kdbnab1
As CTE trials approach, could legal reckoning be coming to youth football’s leading institutions? – Orange County Register

VN Store

Back