Heupel To Showcase Nico?

If Joe throws for 250 and 3-4 TDs on Vandy, the haters here will insist it was Vandy and Nico would have doubled that amount and should start in the bowl game.

At this point they've gone over the edge and when/if Nico comes out next year and overthrows receivers or throws interceptions, they'll lose their minds calling for Merklinger and insist "he should be ready."

No QB who is not as electric as Hendon Hooker will ever be acceptable to these people. As my granny used to say, "They're ruint, completely ruint."
I think a large portion of the fan base is simply sick and tired of being dominated by GA, Bama, and the other top teams. Also sick and tired of losing to teams like Mizzou when the Vols (according to recruiting rankings) are far more talented. If the Vols were competitive across the board and beat the teams they’re supposed to beat, we’d all feel better about this season. It’s painful seeing Heup being outcoached and the players just laying down.

Reactions: loservol
Joe will sell Dodge Ram trucks like a machine.

Dude, Joe is getting drafted, and possibly higher than people think.

I don't know why people go out of their way to bash him, but he's got amazing raw talent that NFL evaluators love. Anthony Richardson had a markedly worse year last year than Joe did this year, completing barley 50% of his passes. He got drafted 4th overall.

Trey Lance threw like 20 passes his final year due to COVID and only attempted like 300 passes total his entire college career, for a FCS school no less. He went 3rd overall.

Granted those guys were a few years younger than Joe will be. But the narrative remains the same. Teams fall in love with QBs that have amazing raw talent.

And same would be true for the bowl game - the only way Joe doesn't play in that is if either he is hurt or he decides not to risk getting hurt. Joe doesn't seem like the type to shy away from playing though.
I think Joe probably sits out the bowl game to be honest. Gives Nico a chance to lead this team. Sort of a passing of the torch.

I think a large portion of the fan base is simply sick and tired of being dominated by GA, Bama, and the other top teams. Also sick and tired of losing to teams like Mizzou when the Vols (according to recruiting rankings) are far more talented. If the Vols were competitive across the board and beat the teams they’re supposed to beat, we’d all feel better about this season. It’s painful seeing Heup being outcoached and the players just laying down.
Who isn't? But we suffered through the Fulmer AD years together and saw the culture rot all the way to the core.

Growing it back takes time. It wasn't JUST Pruitt who brought UT down to a dumpster fire, he just lit the dumpster that he had. Thinking UT is going to reemerge quickly from years of trash coaching and management is crazy.

The very worst thing that could've happened for Josh Heupel happened: he had Hooker, Hyatt, and Co simply have a magical, truly unexpected year in 2022. That's good for recruiting and great fun to watch, but like that dumbass Ehlinger at TX, some of our fans want to shout "We're back!" when we actually had an incredibly lucky year.

We're a top 25 team, which isn't bad but isn't where we want to be, but the overall direction with Danny White and Josh Heupel is upward. Is Heupel going to be able to break through to Kirby and Saban level coaching and program strength? Frankly, most SEC coaches and programs haven't, so a wise bet would be no.

How good will we get? I've no idea, but I've got faith we won't see Danny White being a good ol boy still hanging out in the film room, not knowing a decent hire in any sport if it bit him on the butt kind of AD. I've also got faith Josh Heupel knows what asparagus is and can form a coherent sentence.

2022 seems to have erased everyone's memory of 3-7 in 2020, 5-7 in 2018, and 4-8 in 2017. We're not very far removed from being a legitimate trash program.

Last edited:
Reactions: knox73
I never have a problem with that. Of course, my wife is pretty consistent in saying it for me so....
Yes, but as I’ve pointed out before, you are constant and are offering an opinion. Most on here are speaking with their emotions and think their opinions are absolute facts. They live for that “ I told you so “ moment and disappear when they’re wrong.

I don't know why people go out of their way to bash him, but he's got amazing raw talent that NFL evaluators love. Anthony Richardson had a markedly worse year last year than Joe did this year, completing barley 50% of his passes. He got drafted 4th overall.

Trey Lance threw like 20 passes his final year due to COVID and only attempted like 300 passes total his entire college career, for a FCS school no less. He went 3rd overall.

Granted those guys were a few years younger than Joe will be. But the narrative remains the same. Teams fall in love with QBs that have amazing raw talent.
"raw" 6th year player.... lol

Reactions: Boone&Crockett
"raw" 6th year player.... lol
Dude he's got the best arm the NFL has maybe ever seen. And he's very fast in the straight line (even he has zero agility). You are insane if you think teams don't covet those skills.

Last edited:
Dude he's got the best arm the NFL has maybe ever seen. And he's very fast in the straight line (even he has zero agility). You ar le insane if you think teams covet those skills.
They say Mahomes can sling it but I've not seen it and Josh Allen can put some serious air under one I think. Back in the day, Marino had ridiculous arm strength too.

Joe Milton is in the Marino and Allen category, I think, as far as arm strength goes and that's good enough to get him an NFL workout. I'm not sure he's got the decision making skills of an NFL QB but you can't teach that kind of arm.

Reactions: Orangeslice13

Tim Tebow was a first rounder................................anything is possible.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Heupel would be wise to showcase Nico's abilities these next two games to show our Commits that they are coming into a program that is still on the rise. We have some highly rated WRs/ skill players that we don't want them looking elsewhere. Need to get back to our feared high scoring passing attack that took a big hit during the Bazooka Joe reign. GO VOLS! Let's crush some Candy and win our Bowl Game!!!!

Why risk getting Nico injured and messing up next year. This season is what it is. Let JM III
finish it.

And UT will definitely lose to whoever the bowl opponent is if JM plays but it seems like that’s what will happen. They’ve avoided playing Nico like the plague this year even though the fanbase wants to see him play.
You suck at being a Tennessee fan. Mods, ban me at this point. I’m sick and tired of an entire season of Joe Milton bashing. Guess what, you pack of egg sucking dogs? Joe doesn’t play in the secondary. Joe doesn’t play on the offensive line. Joe is NOT the defensive coordinator. But hey, Nico is the cure for all of our problems.

Reactions: BP4Prez
And UT will definitely lose to whoever the bowl opponent is if JM plays but it seems like that’s what will happen. They’ve avoided playing Nico like the plague this year even though the fanbase wants to see him play.
We should definitely do a fan vote going forward to determine playing time.

Spurrier was a unique guy who even more uniquely made that work. His era came and went just like Fulmer's.

Listening to Basilio... is never a good thing. He's generally tinted negative and when he doesn't actually know something... he makes things up to fill the gaps.

I think Heupel has a plan. I don't think he sees Milton level play at QB as the "end" of that plan or the norm. I happen to agree with the plan as best I understand it. I do not think he was wrong or unwise to "sacrifice" this season with Milton to avoid throwing Nico in to see if he would sink or swim. Nico according to reports is around 20-30 lbs heavier than he was this time last year. That's important. In fact, that's critical. The experience he's gained while NOT having to spend hours in the training room is critical. Sitting in a room with Hooker and Milton learning how to watch film and learning the O is critical.

Heupel doesn't lack urgency. He seems to understand that results are always expected sooner rather than later. But he isn't sacrificing future success for immediate fan gratification. That's a good thing.
Great post… I’ve been expressing the same thing all year this was a perfect year for Nico mentally… his physical and natural gifts are undeniable but it was still plenty for him to learn mentally this year and he will be ready to dominate from his first start… I see a heisman caliber season for Nico next year in this system… we will have ample weapons developing and his feel for the game will make the playcalling seem much better… that’s why joe isn’t loved he just doesn’t make plays if the coach calls the wrong play… Qbs with that feel for the game turn wrong plays into good plays… I’m excited for the future with Nico.

Dude he's got the best arm the NFL has maybe ever seen. And he's very fast in the straight line (even he has zero agility). You are insane if you think teams don't covet those skills.
And who knows, Joe might actually excel in a pro style offense. As I have seen other people point out, Milton is not exactly a prototypical Heupel quarterback. His skill set may fit a lot better elsewhere. I like Joe and wish him nothing but success in his post Tennessee journey

Reactions: Carp and RavinDave
Nothing Joe does in the final 2 games will change the opinion of NFL scouts. Tough move is benching him and letting Nico get reps but it needs to happen.

VN Store

Back