Heupel Talks With Media Following Second Scrimmage

That's not altogether true either. A 3 and out is also a lost possession to the other team.

All of this is situational.

Overall though I agree that Maurer has to cut down on the mistakes... if these INT's were in fact mistakes and not misplays by WR's or something like that.

For me, you'd rather be trying to rein a guy back at this point than pressing them to take more risks.
We don't know what % of the time each of our QBs led scoring drives. More things than pass completions can get the team into the end zone. But none of those things will work if you give the ball up.

We know Maurer had at least five drives: three scores, two INTs. Maybe more; we just don't know.

We don't know how many drives the other lads got. And we don't know what % of the time each of them got the team into the end zone.

We only know whether they turned the ball over.

All other things being equal (or unknown), the guy with the INTs is the guy at competitive disadvantage.

That's why I said Maurer needs to find a way to dial the risk down if he wants to play on Saturdays.

Last edited:
Also, not knowing the number of snaps that each QB took, it could also mean that the numbers could be extrapolated to mean 9 touchdowns and 6 interceptions through an entire game if they got roughly equal snaps.

Meaning we probably lose 70-63, you know, typical SEC football, lol!

Depends on the situation.

It appears that Maurer pushes the ball downfield a good bit more than the other two. It he's throwing a 40 yard INT on 3rd and 15... that's not as bad as throwing one on a crossing route.

Historically, he’s been great from 20 to 20, and then turnover machine. Unless that has changed, I’ll pass.

If he can dictate the pace while making good decisions and he should win us some games.

If he's the QB, we MAY beat Vandy. The thunderchickens becomes a toss up game, and we lose to UK. 1 SEC win if he's back there. He's not an SEC talent level QB, period. If Heupel puts him there, we'll find out Heupel is not a SEC level coach IMO.

Reactions: guido4198
I wouldn't have complained if JG had thrown 3 TD's and a couple of picks depending on the situation if he'd been consistent in getting those 3 or 4 TD's. One of my biggest problems with his game was that he was so, so, so risk averse throwing the ball. He threw 6 TD's and 4 INT's last year in 7 games. That's pathetic.

I'd say you can also accept more INT's from a younger guy than a more experienced guy. JG really didn't grow in that way.

FWIW, Bailey throwing a lot more short balls than Mauer in his action last fall had 4 TD's vs 2 INT's. Again, young guys trying to push SHOULD make some mistakes. If they aren't then they probably aren't pushing enough.
Actually JG threw 9 TD’s last year.

If he's the QB, we MAY beat Vandy. The thunderchickens becomes a toss up game, and we lose to UK. 1 SEC win if he's back there. He's not an SEC talent level QB, period. If Heupel puts him there, we'll find out Heupel is not a SEC level coach IMO.
I think this is a totally wrong way of looking at it.

You pre-judge a player who might, just might, have a lot more talent than you believe.

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, you pre-judge a coaching staff based on your pre-judgment of the player.

You're building a house of cards. Any one place where you're wrong, and the whole house comes down.

Better way to approach it: acknowledge the potential within all the unknowns. Potential for good, potential for bad, we just don't know.

And give the guys, the players and the coaches both, a fair chance to show what they can do before judging them.

Maybe more conservative.
2 int to 3 td seems reckless to me

I’ve always felt like Maurer has incredible upside, but he needs to live in the film room and improve his decision making for sure. 2 picks is too many unless they both were on Hail Marys at the end of each half.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I’ve always felt like Maurer has incredible upside, but he needs to live in the film room and improve his decision making for sure. 2 picks is too many unless they both were on Hail Marys at the end of each half.
...and refrain from
Social networking. Study the film and his textbooks. Forget about everything else.

Reactions: EZE
If Maurer is not an SEC Qb but is out in front of the competition with the other two Qb’s, does that mean we do not have SEC level talent at Qb?

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I have no idea how the Heupel era will be, but I like this guy. He seems genuine and comfortable in his own skin. And let’s be honest, we haven’t had that since Fulmer.

I think he may just be exactly what this program needs.
Gonna see how long you hang onto that sentiment..... I don't disagree with it.... You have just been pretty entertaining over the last year

Reactions: CA_Vol
I think this is a totally wrong way of looking at it.

You pre-judge a player who might, just might, have a lot more talent than you believe.

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, you pre-judge a coaching staff based on your pre-judgment of the player.

You're building a house of cards. Any one place where you're wrong, and the whole house comes down.

Better way to approach it: acknowledge the potential within all the unknowns. Potential for good, potential for bad, we just don't know.

And give the guys, the players and the coaches both, a fair chance to show what they can do before judging them.
He doesn't know jack. Just wants to bash Maurer. Has zero analysis about his QB abilities OR the surrounding talent.

Since you know so much about the future, let us know wins the Super Bowl this year. I could sure make a little money on it using your physic abilities.

Reactions: jarnol32
I have no idea how the Heupel era will be, but I like this guy. He seems genuine and comfortable in his own skin. And let’s be honest, we haven’t had that since Fulmer.

I think he may just be exactly what this program needs.
I really like him for us. And he is the real deal. His journey as a player and then a coach...he’s scrappy and intelligent, and earned everything he’s gotten. He also coaches the isht out of the QB position. I like it.

We don't know what % of the time each of our QBs led scoring drives. More things than pass completions can get the team into the end zone. But none of those things will work if you give the ball up.

We know Maurer had at least five drives: three scores, two INTs. Maybe more; we just don't know.

We don't know how many drives the other lads got. And we don't know what % of the time each of them got the team into the end zone.

We only know whether they turned the ball over.

All other things being equal (or unknown), the guy with the INTs is the guy at competitive disadvantage.

That's why I said Maurer needs to find a way to dial the risk down if he wants to play on Saturdays.
You listed all the things we don't know... which includes the circumstances around those picks. No if other things are "unknown"... then that does not mean the guy with the INT's has the competitive disadvantage.

I wouldn't assume the others didn't lead scoring drives... but if they didn't then Maurer's 3 is far more "competitive" than what they did.

You can't just say, "We don't know... we don't know... we don't know.... but I'm sure Maurer was the worst."

You are generally pretty reasonable... but this is ridiculous and reeks of some personal bias against him. If he's the QB then he earned it over a guy with 18 BCS starts and a former 5* QB by outperforming them in the opinion of a former Heisman HC with a history of producing high scoring offenses with very good QB play.

Someone posted a few days ago that on the NC campaign Heupel QB'd he had 30 TD's and 15 INT's, I mean just for sense of what may be tolerable to Coach.
30 TD's..those are career JG numbers..in a single season!

Ah..I remember stories the old timers would tell about the good old days when we had QB's who could throw more than 20 TD's in a season.

Someone posted a few days ago that on the NC campaign Heupel QB'd he had 30 TD's and 15 INT's, I mean just for sense of what may be tolerable to Coach.
Heupel is definitely not risk averse. His last QB at UCF routinely made throws that would have gotten him benched by Pruitt.

VN Store

Back