Heupel mic'd up

I can't help but be excited and encouraged for the future by what I am seeing in Josh. I was hopeful with Dooley, Jones and Pruitt but with JH I just get a completely different and positive vibe.

If this man can continue to put up 40 points per game he will be here a long time, unless stolen. The major problems his predecessors had don't seem to be problems for this coach. Everything just bends together and the team keeps moving forward.

I think Coach is slimming up a bit, too. Gotta be tough to eat right and exercise with a 24/7 schedule.
I waited tables in Gibbs in the 70's ( and washed dishes, depending on the shift). That was before the NCAA opened the dorms up to non athletes. I got to eat all my meals there even when I wasn't working (they took $20 a week out of my check). Not sure what the training table is like now, but then it was pretty sweet. Big burgers (from a grill), sometimes steak. Couple of chefs in there, and a sign hanging over the buffet line "Take all you want, eat all you take". Hard to lose weight in that environment.

Back then, Sunday night after a game was football team only. Steak and Lobster if they won, Beenie Weenies if they lost. We would draw straws for the meal where we had a certain win. If there were extra lobsters, the cooks let me wrap them in a napkin and I'd take them back to the dorm for my roomies.

Majors would come in sometimes on a Saturday afternoon after fishing and drop his fish off for the cooks to clean for him. It cracked me up sometimes to see those chef's cleaning crappie.

Later in my career, I have had to suffer through tons of trade shows on the roads in convention centers. The bland catered meals, chicken, green beans and a deseert.. I'm sure Heupel has eaten a ton of those kind of meals due to public appearances and meetings. Again.. and like you said. In an all consuming job like he has with fatty food readily available, it's tough to drop those L. B. S's.

Speaking of miked up... am I the only one that is having trouble hearing reporters, questions at coach' press conferences? Would a $150 mike for the reporters' questions solve that problem?
Watch press conferences on the Tennessee Football fb page. If you watch on 247 it sucks.

I waited tables in Gibbs in the 70's ( and washed dishes, depending on the shift). That was before the NCAA opened the dorms up to non athletes. I got to eat all my meals there even when I wasn't working (they took $20 a week out of my check). Not sure what the training table is like now, but then it was pretty sweet. Big burgers (from a grill), sometimes steak. Couple of chefs in there, and a sign hanging over the buffet line "Take all you want, eat all you take". Hard to lose weight in that environment.

Back then, Sunday night after a game was football team only. Steak and Lobster if they won, Beenie Weenies if they lost. We would draw straws for the meal where we had a certain win. If there were extra lobsters, the cooks let me wrap them in a napkin and I'd take them back to the dorm for my roomies.

Majors would come in sometimes on a Saturday afternoon after fishing and drop his fish off for the cooks to clean for him. It cracked me up sometimes to see those chef's cleaning crappie.

Later in my career, I have had to suffer through tons of trade shows on the roads in convention centers. The bland catered meals, chicken, green beans and a deseert.. I'm sure Heupel has eaten a ton of those kind of meals due to public appearances and meetings. Again.. and like you said. In an all consuming job like he has with fatty food readily available, it's tough to drop those L. B. S's.

When I was in college, my friends and I would go eat at Gibbs about once a week, even though that cafeteria wasn’t included in our meal plan. It cost $8 (this was in the mid 2000s), and worth it. Great eatin for a 20 year-old broke college kid.

When I was in college, my friends and I would go eat at Gibbs about once a week, even though that cafeteria wasn’t included in our meal plan. It cost $8 (this was in the mid 2000s), and worth it. Great eatin for a 20 year-old broke college kid.
They took a dollar a meal out of my pay to eat there all the time. And I could get into the cafeteria when it was locked, through the kitchen, and get chocolate milk and spread out my books and study there in peace. Once Majors came and bugged me to get him an apple out of the fridge and he sat there and talked to me as he ate the apple. He was Sigma Chi, and so was I, so we talked a little about that. Just us 2 in the whole cafeteria. After the apple, he got up and left, but I'll never forget that.

Back then, the cafeteria was on the bottom floor of Gibbs. The parking lot between Gibbs and Stokely was where the coaches parked and the loading dock was at the end where the food was delivered. I think they later rebuilt and moved the cafeteria towards the front entrance of Gibbs, up a few floors.

Last edited:
Speaking of miked up... am I the only one that is having trouble hearing reporters, questions at coach' press conferences? Would a $150 mike for the reporters' questions solve that problem?
Yea I might have an old Mr. Microphone laying around here somewhere I would be happy to donate if it would help.

Reactions: Vol Farmer
Danny White knew what he was doing when he made this hire. We haven’t seen the wins yet, but all the intangibles are definitely there.
Ummm the wins are already here under Heup we stole 3 or 4 wins last year that we couldn’t have accomplished with any other HC we could have realistically hired. And we could have easily won 1 or 2 more.

All of this with our dumpster fire “transfer U” program with few elite athletes and no depth.

In year 2 it’s irrational for any Vol fan to think we should already be even with GA or Bama. However I wouldn’t be shocked if we pulled a big SEC upset or two this year given our offseason additions and player / winning culture development.

Year 3 we’ll be closer to even imo

Heupel looks like a players coach, but we only got to see him being positive, would like to see how he gets onto players who make the same mistakes. Have to beat Florida this season!!!!

That is the most next level thing I've ever read about Majors! LMAO! Thank you for sharing that!

Reactions: ptcarter
Heup is a very likeable guy. He doesn't have to yell and berate to get his players attention and respect. Kind of has that Andy Reid style to him. I love this hire more by the day. I know some will say I'm pumping sunshine but I truly believe he will be the one that will bring us back to the top.

Reactions: ptcarter
Ummm the wins are already here under Heup we stole 3 or 4 wins last year that we couldn’t have accomplished with any other HC we could have realistically hired. And we could have easily won 1 or 2 more.

All of this with our dumpster fire “transfer U” program with few elite athletes and no depth.

In year 2 it’s irrational for any Vol fan to think we should already be even with GA or Bama. However I wouldn’t be shocked if we pulled a big SEC upset or two this year given our offseason additions and player / winning culture development.

Year 3 we’ll be closer to even imo

I'm with you on optimism, just about 2 years later on results. Given the roster differences between Bama and Tennessee, I'd say 4-5 years to close that to the point where winning is possible, absent an amazing game with all the breaks.

I think he will get the time he needs, so long as we play hard and steadily improve.

You have trouble hearing? I wonder why? It appears they are using top-notch equipment for its intended purpose….
62368E77-A437-46E7-A95A-B402C3E80608.jpeg

I'm with you on optimism, just about 2 years later on results. Given the roster differences between Bama and Tennessee, I'd say 4-5 years to close that to the point where winning is possible, absent an amazing game with all the breaks.

I think he will get the time he needs, so long as we play hard and steadily improve.

That's assuming Saban lasts 4-5 more years. He will be 71 in a few months... Bama had 10+ years of mediocre football prior to his arrival. The dude is the best college football coach ever! Not saying they will suck when he leaves but what they have sustained under his watch is just unreasonable to expect to continue after he departs.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back