Heupel mic'd up

Shades

Shady member
I waited tables in Gibbs in the 70's ( and washed dishes, depending on the shift). That was before the NCAA opened the dorms up to non athletes. I got to eat all my meals there even when I wasn't working (they took $20 a week out of my check). Not sure what the training table is like now, but then it was pretty sweet. Big burgers (from a grill), sometimes steak. Couple of chefs in there, and a sign hanging over the buffet line "Take all you want, eat all you take". Hard to lose weight in that environment.

Back then, Sunday night after a game was football team only. Steak and Lobster if they won, Beenie Weenies if they lost. We would draw straws for the meal where we had a certain win. If there were extra lobsters, the cooks let me wrap them in a napkin and I'd take them back to the dorm for my roomies.

Majors would come in sometimes on a Saturday afternoon after fishing and drop his fish off for the cooks to clean for him. It cracked me up sometimes to see those chef's cleaning crappie.

Later in my career, I have had to suffer through tons of trade shows on the roads in convention centers. The bland catered meals, chicken, green beans and a deseert.. I'm sure Heupel has eaten a ton of those kind of meals due to public appearances and meetings. Again.. and like you said. In an all consuming job like he has with fatty food readily available, it's tough to drop those L. B. S's.
I cleaned pots and pans back in the kitchen of Morrell Hall when I was at UT back in the 80s. Would go in hungry (back then, was always hungry 24/7) and come out full. Near the end of the dinner rush, all of the leftover baking trays with unserved food would come back to me for cleanup. Consumed many of those little round or rectangular pizzas before I dumped the tray and cleaned it up. Sounds pretty gross now, but for a active athletic college student it was like a little slice calorie-heaven.

BoroVol93

Heup is a very likeable guy. He doesn't have to yell and berate to get his players attention and respect. Kind of has that Andy Reid style to him. I love this hire more by the day. I know some will say I'm pumping sunshine but I truly believe he will be the one that will bring us back to the top.
I’ve been saying it because I love what he preaches and he is an elite X and O guy on top of it… this is the best Qb play we will have had in a long time hooker will likely break every single season Qb record in Tennessee history and that will give us a chance to win every game we play… he is preaching culture hard work love in every aspect of life this team is well coached and will execute at a high level on both sides of the ball… the defenses only issue was third and long defense that’s an easy fix with the caliber of coaches and athletes on this roster our pash rush is going to be much improved… enjoy this Tennessee fans we deserve it GB🍊

ftsandersvol

Heupel looks like a players coach, but we only got to see him being positive, would like to see how he gets onto players who make the same mistakes. Have to beat Florida this season!!!!
All his past accomplishments show Heupel is a proven winner. Winners don't necessarily have to get in people's faces, not that at times it's absolutely required though. When players are around true winners, for even a short amount of time, they even begin to understand the unspoken expectation that losing is not acceptable. The players then begin to emulate the winners' mindset and begin to raise their own expectations of themselves. In short, winners naturally get those around them to play better than they might normally do.

Woke

I'm with you on optimism, just about 2 years later on results. Given the roster differences between Bama and Tennessee, I'd say 4-5 years to close that to the point where winning is possible, absent an amazing game with all the breaks.

I think he will get the time he needs, so long as we play hard and steadily improve.
Rosters matter ALOT but games are won and lost on the field by the team that executes and just wants it more. Tenn is hungry. Bama and GA are not vs us. And FL is in turmoil rn.

Need proof we can overachieve? Just look at the Majors years. Tenn ALWAYS outperforms as the underdog, when we’re overlooked. Tbh I’m far more concerned about underperformance when we finally pull even and are no longer the perpetual L.

VN Store