Heupel and head coaching decisions

Heupel had to make a huge coaching decision on Saturday. It is almost indisputable at this point that a conflict happened involving Jeremy Banks. We could never know whether it was a fail drug test or something else. But he definitely was not arrested. This along with Heuple‘s refusal to elaborate on the issue gives legs to the rumors floating around.

So here’s the question… Does anybody believe a coach like Nick Saban would have suspended his defensive captain and team leader over an internal disruption/dispute that did not involve any legal issues? I’d say absolutely not. I think Saban probably understands how important continuity is and the residual effect of essentially siding with one player over another. Hell…Saban didn’t bench a wr that struck an opposing teams fan on the field despite getting ripped in the media for it.

I don’t believe the Defense came out and decided not to play hard. But we are going to play talented teams every week and there is anything off psychologically going into a game it could make a huge impact.

Think about what the ramifications of benching Jeremy banks apparently are. We had a great opportunity to go to the playoffs and have our quarterback win the Heisman Trophy. No matter how bright the future might be nobody could believe that’s going to happen here with any regularity. History says that this might be the closest Heupel ever comes. Just think 5 years down the road will he look back at the decision to bench banks with regret? Will it be the biggest mistake of his entire career? What is Heupel had pulled Jeremy Banks and others involved into a room and let them hash it out without any suspensions or anything getting out in the media. How differently could Saturday have turned out? If Jeremy Banks is out on the field and the defense is forcing some punts… Is Hendon hooker even running that play trying to lead a come back down three touchdowns late in the game? I think most people would believe that if the situation had been handled differently we’d have likely won the game and would still have Hooker at the helm.

Coaches are essentially CEO’s of billion dollar entities at this level. It’s not just teaching technique, calling plays, and creating game plans. It is so much more than that. Managing personalities and the psychology of a team going into a game is a big part of the job. And we’ll never know all the details that lead to the suspension on Saturday. But in hindsight… I sure as hell hope that suspension was warranted because the price our team paid is staggering.[/QUOT

Last edited:
I believe Heupel is an offensive coaching genius, but there is more to being a head coach than being able to drawing up the plays. If he is serious about taking the next step, he is needs to learn the right way to motivate and discipline his players so they keep their heads in the game. Being a player's coach only works in the NFL. If this is not his style, he will have to hire coordinators that can feel this role.

Exactly my opinion. He’s an amazing offensive mind. Is he going to prove to be an amazing “CEO”? That’s the question. Recruiting, personnel decisions, managing the psychology (rat poison), etc. head coaches wear a lot of hats.
I will say this…if I was going to choose a coach with an unquestionable skill set already proven…I’d hope it would be as an offensive genius. And he’s got that. So I’m not questioning if we have the right guy. But I am questioning if Heupel doesn’t still have a lot to learn and improve on if he’s going to be able to build a dynasty here.

Reactions: loservol
Consequences are huge just as you say.

According to Banks and people here with at least some access, Banks wasn’t suspended for fighting Hooker but for something else. That something else was allegedly missing meetings and classes. That earned him a one game suspension. Jeremy broke the rules, Jeremy earned the suspension - that’s on Jeremy not Heupel.

I don’t care what Saban would have done, Heupel is building a culture based on accountability. I support Heupel’s decision 100%.
This.

Reactions: Deebowbear
If CJH says Jeremy Banks did something to warrant a suspension I believe him. I trust the coach more than Banks. He has let us all down in the past with his actions. I don’t think CJH would suspend the captain of his defense without warrant. I had thought the SC game would be a tough win. It was played at night, I have been in that stadium at night, and it’s a tough place to play. Did we play horrible in practically all phases, we sure did. With that said, I don’t think CJH suspends anyone for that game without warrant.

I agree, and if Banks did something to warrant a suspension, which I believe he did. And Hype didn't suspend him, he would then have lost the locker room, not only for now but for his whole career in coaching. All players now and in the future will remember this, regardless of how good they are if they do anything to warrant a suspension, they will be suspended.

Reactions: tdd

VN Store

Back