Here's where things might get rough...

Coming into the season, most folks here were predicting we'd go 4-8, or 5-7, or at best 6-6. Not many were predicting better.

Well, we now have 6-6 all but locked in. Great job, lads. Great job, coaches. Real proud of all of you. AND if we can pull one win out of the next four games, we exceed most folks' expectations. That's the good news.

The bad news is, this next four weeks (five, counting the bye week) are going to be a real challenge.

-- The Ole Miss game is going to be a shootout. The Rebels got 52 points today. We got 45. It wouldn't surprise me for next week's scoreboard to look something like that. Trouble is, shootout games can go either way. Last one to hold the ball wins, kind of thing. I'm not nearly as confident of a W next week as I have been these past two.

-- Bama, goes without saying, they're just on a different tier from most of college football.

-- Kentucky, I think we got. This is, in my mind, the pretty solid 7th-win card. I wouldn't mind if we got to 7 off Ole MIss, but Kentucky is I think our best shot.

-- UGa, lot like Bama minus the offense. Their defense is just smothering.

And Nega-Vols, control yourselves. A lot of this is going to look ugly. We are not going to be in control much of the time in these four games. We're going to be in dog fights, at best, and some of them will likely be beat-downs. Calm down. Breathe. Let's see how we come out the other end. And keep the big picture in mind.

Go Vols!

I feel like VFL 82 is like your white-haired grandpa who sits you down on the front porch and comforts you with wise words that you are certain come from somewhere worth listening to. And he gives you an ice cold Coca Cola in a glass with a striped straw.

Coming into the season, most folks here were predicting we'd go 4-8, or 5-7, or at best 6-6. Not many were predicting better.

Well, we now have 6-6 all but locked in. Great job, lads. Great job, coaches. Real proud of all of you. AND if we can pull one win out of the next four games, we exceed most folks' expectations. That's the good news.

The bad news is, this next four weeks (five, counting the bye week) are going to be a real challenge.

-- The Ole Miss game is going to be a shootout. The Rebels got 52 points today. We got 45. It wouldn't surprise me for next week's scoreboard to look something like that. Trouble is, shootout games can go either way. Last one to hold the ball wins, kind of thing. I'm not nearly as confident of a W next week as I have been these past two.

-- Bama, goes without saying, they're just on a different tier from most of college football.

-- Kentucky, I think we got. This is, in my mind, the pretty solid 7th-win card. I wouldn't mind if we got to 7 off Ole MIss, but Kentucky is I think our best shot.

And Nega-Vols, control yourselves. A lot of this is going to look ugly. We are not going to be in control much of the time in these four games. We're going to be in dog fights, at best, and some of them will likely be beat-downs. Calm down. Breathe. Let's see how we come out the other end. And keep the big picture in mind.

Go Vols!
Man, your a Debbie downer. Can't you just enjoy the day without this crap? We haven't had a lot to feel good about lately and you want to tell everyone it's gonna go sideways. Check yourself!

I think we beat So. Ala and Vandy for 6 wins, but the injuries we keep getting concerns me, may catch up to us in the other games like Ole Miss and KY. I hope we get well, but seems like we have had an inordinate number of injuries, and we don't have that much depth to cover them. They have done very well thus far, all things considered. GBO.

Reactions: norrislakevol
If we win 1 out of the next 4, it would be good!!! 6-7 wins with this roster would be a very good yr.

Well, the unbeatable Bama has just lost.

Ole Miss won on a questionable play call from Arkansas after giving up 50+ points.

Kentucky is a good team. I would just say that they beat LSU, who I'd compare to last year's team where the players have given up on the coaching staff. Not taking away what they have done, but it's still Kentucky.

As odd as it is to say, and as much as I hate to say it, UGA is the hardest game ahead of us.

We have a lot of good games in front of us. If this offense keeps clicking we're never out of any game.

Go VOLS!

Man, your a Debbie downer. Can't you just enjoy the day without this crap? We haven't had a lot to feel good about lately and you want to tell everyone it's gonna go sideways. Check yourself!
Yeah, man, I don't blame you for blasting back at me. Under other circumstances I might've posted exactly what you just did. I get it.

But here's why I did.

The Air Force does this thing when they're taking paratroopers to a drop zone in a C-130. They're flying along at like 250 or 300 knots, sometimes doing what they call "terrain avoidance" flying, pretending they're in the Grand Canyon, juking left and right, making those 52 soldiers in the back of the plane sick to their stomachs for an hour or more. Heh, damn Air Force.

Then suddenly, they stop juking. Go straight and level. The plane feels like it "pops up" a few hundred feet higher in the air. And then it's like they've just hit the brakes, the whole plane loses speed dramatically, for like 10 seconds. We used to call it the three-minute slowdown, because it usually seemed to come about 3 minutes before we jumped. I don't know what the right name for it is. What they're doing is slowing down to 130 knots, our jump speed. Then the loadmasters open the jump doors, and the paratroopers start doing all the stuff they need to do to get ready to jump. Things just feel different after that 3-minute slowdown. It's a phase transition.

We're about to hit this season's 3-minute slowdown.

Not that we're jumping out of the season or anything, still half the regular season left to go. The analogy isn't that good. But things are just gonna feel different these next few weeks. The challenges are going to be harder. We're going to be less in control, things are going to feel more like they're happening TO our lads rather than being done BY them.

That's not a criticism. It's nothing against our team. They'll be just as good and determined and hard-working as ever. It's just that it might FEEL like they're not, because the competition has been dialed up.

I don't mean to be negative. I hope we win all four of these games between here and Kentucky. Just saying, let's keep the faith with our team even if things sometimes don't go our way.

But yeah, I get you. You're right. No reason to be negative, things are going well.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I'm confused on how the season is "accomplished"? Yeah we should beat two more teams but as of now we are two games short of bowl contention and haven't competed with a big rival. This is accepting mediocrity before it's even been achieved.

blah-blah-blah-whatever-you-say.gif
What he meant ain't rocket surgery, but you probably know that and just trying to be a tuff guy. This team has done what most intelligent fans have hoped they'd accomplish and they've done it already. All they really need to do now is continue.

If you expected more than what you've seen already that's on you.

Last edited:
The Vols did not show up for the second half!!!! Horrible!!!!!
Another rocket surgeon.

We won by 25 points and did it without any depth and several key players out. The ones we have are giving it all they have.

This kind of crap is old. If you expected them to all of a sudden be like Bama and Georgia, then you should stick to Tecmo Superbowl.

Last edited:

Go Vols!
If 6-6 is the best we do, it's a success.

Yeah, man, I don't blame you for blasting back at me. Under other circumstances I might've posted exactly what you just did. I get it.

But here's why I did.

The Air Force does this thing when they're taking paratroopers to a drop zone in a C-130. They're flying along at like 250 or 300 knots, sometimes doing what they call "terrain avoidance" flying, pretending they're in the Grand Canyon, juking left and right, making those 52 soldiers in the back of the plane sick to their stomachs for an hour or more. Heh, damn Air Force.

Then suddenly, they stop juking. Go straight and level. The plane feels like it "pops up" a few hundred feet higher in the air. And then it's like they've just hit the brakes, the whole plane loses speed dramatically, for like 10 seconds. We used to call it the three-minute slowdown, because it usually seemed to come about 3 minutes before we jumped. I don't know what the right name for it is. What they're doing is slowing down to 130 knots, our jump speed. Then the loadmasters open the jump doors, and the paratroopers start doing all the stuff they need to do to get ready to jump. Things just feel different after that 3-minute slowdown. It's a phase transition.

We're about to hit this season's 3-minute slowdown.

Not that we're jumping out of the season or anything, still half the regular season left to go. The analogy isn't that good. But things are just gonna feel different these next few weeks. The challenges are going to be harder. We're going to be less in control, things are going to feel more like they're happening TO our lads rather than being done BY them.

That's not a criticism. It's nothing against our team. They'll be just as good and determined and hard-working as ever. It's just that it might FEEL like they're not, because the competition has been dialed up.

I don't mean to be negative. I hope we win all four of these games between here and Kentucky. Just saying, let's keep the faith with our team even if things sometimes don't go our way.

But yeah, I get you. You're right. No reason to be negative, things are going well.

Go Vols!
Appropriate analogy

Kentucky never scares me. 9/10 times, even in our really terrible years, we smack them around. That lopsided bs last year was because of everything swirling around the program and a coach on his way out.
Yes, Coach was on his way out, Kentucky was a decent team, we had absolutely ZERO offense. Looking forward to this Ole Miss game. GBO

Reactions: Orange931
You mis-read that poll. Only 30% predicted 7 wins or better. You added in all the people who said 4 to 6 wins was most likely.

Which, to be fair to your point, is more than I remembered. I remembered a stronger majority saying 4, 5, or 6 wins.

Nonetheless, a strong majority of folks here gave one of those answers. We're out-performing this community's collective expectations.
I don’t mind saying I thought we would only get 5 wins right up to the Mizzou win. We hit a switch. Glad to be wrong.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back