Here's where things might get rough...

Coming into the season, most folks here were predicting we'd go 4-8, or 5-7, or at best 6-6. Not many were predicting better.

Well, we now have 6-6 all but locked in. Great job, lads. Great job, coaches. Real proud of all of you. AND if we can pull one win out of the next four games, we exceed most folks' expectations. That's the good news.

The bad news is, this next four weeks (five, counting the bye week) are going to be a real challenge.

-- The Ole Miss game is going to be a shootout. The Rebels got 52 points today. We got 45. It wouldn't surprise me for next week's scoreboard to look something like that. Trouble is, shootout games can go either way. Last one to hold the ball wins, kind of thing. I'm not nearly as confident of a W next week as I have been these past two.

-- Bama, goes without saying, they're just on a different tier from most of college football.

-- Kentucky, I think we got. This is, in my mind, the pretty solid 7th-win card. I wouldn't mind if we got to 7 off Ole MIss, but Kentucky is I think our best shot.

-- UGa, lot like Bama minus the offense. Their defense is just smothering.

And Nega-Vols, control yourselves. A lot of this is going to look ugly. We are not going to be in control much of the time in these four games. We're going to be in dog fights, at best, and some of them will likely be beat-downs. Calm down. Breathe. Let's see how we come out the other end. And keep the big picture in mind.

Go Vols!
If ever there was a time for Neyland stadium to tip the scales it would be next Saturday.

I agree that the the players & coaches have done a good job.
To be fair, 96.3% of posters here predicted 6-6 or better. At least they did in this poll.
Prediction on W/L record after spring game
You mis-read that poll. Only 30% predicted 7 wins or better. You added in all the people who said 4 to 6 wins was most likely.

Which, to be fair to your point, is more than I remembered. I remembered a stronger majority saying 4, 5, or 6 wins.

Nonetheless, a strong majority of folks here gave one of those answers. We're out-performing this community's collective expectations.

You mis-read that poll. Only 30% predicted 7 wins or better. You added in all the people who said 4 to 6 wins was most likely.

Which, to be fair to your point, is more than I remembered. I remembered a stronger majority saying 4, 5, or 6 wins.

Nonetheless, a strong majority of folks here gave one of those answers. We're out-performing this community's collective expectations.
The team has so far been more fun to watch. I have not been cursing at the television or other inanimate objects. I'm probably more pleasant to be around after games also.

We need our training staff to work some miracles this week folks. We gotta get some more folks healthy for Ole Miss

Reactions: volfaninky
Kentucky game is winnable, they'll need to play 4 quarters. As for the others......the defense isn't where it needs to be to keep us in it real late.

So much of our destiny at this point rides on the health of a handful of players. A couple of injuries and 6-6 is the ceiling. If everybody somehow gets and stays healthy, 8 wins is possible. Either way, 7 wins (including bowl game) will be a pretty damn good year, all things considered. If we end the season with 8 wins, I'd say we are pre-season top 25 with most everybody returning.

Reactions: walkenvol
Coming into the season, most folks here were predicting we'd go 4-8, or 5-7, or at best 6-6. Not many were predicting better.

Well, we now have 6-6 all but locked in. Great job, lads. Great job, coaches. Real proud of all of you. AND if we can pull one win out of the next four games, we exceed most folks' expectations. That's the good news.

The bad news is, this next four weeks (five, counting the bye week) are going to be a real challenge.

-- The Ole Miss game is going to be a shootout. The Rebels got 52 points today. We got 45. It wouldn't surprise me for next week's scoreboard to look something like that. Trouble is, shootout games can go either way. Last one to hold the ball wins, kind of thing. I'm not nearly as confident of a W next week as I have been these past two.

-- Bama, goes without saying, they're just on a different tier from most of college football.

-- Kentucky, I think we got. This is, in my mind, the pretty solid 7th-win card. I wouldn't mind if we got to 7 off Ole MIss, but Kentucky is I think our best shot.

And Nega-Vols, control yourselves. A lot of this is going to look ugly. We are not going to be in control much of the time in these four games. We're going to be in dog fights, at best, and some of them will likely be beat-downs. Calm down. Breathe. Let's see how we come out the other end. And keep the big picture in mind.

Go Vols!
6 & 6 all but there- I remember going to watch the Vols play a win less Rutgers team they left with a 1 win season

Reactions: ptcarter

Go Vols!

The Vols did not show up for the second half!!!! Horrible!!!!!

Go Vols!
How about talking positive instead of negative. These young men read your pessimistic crap. WE just need our injured back. Josh is head and shoulders better than any coach we’ve had in years.

The fact that it is in lexington is the only thing I worry about. It will be sold out since we are the most important game on their schedule.

It’ll be sold out, but there‘s usually a lot of Orange there. I expect to see a good mix of colors in the stadium. And hopefully mostly Orange by the middle of the 4th.

Go Vols!
Agreed, but the difference this year is how this team has come together. I suspect they'll handle the tough times far better than under our last couple of coaching staffs. Don't seem 'em quitting no matter how lopsided some of the games might turn out to be.

It all depends on how many players we have left after the next 4 games. Today's second half showed that.

We can’t sleep on S. Alabama. Vandy is garbage and will have mailed it in by the time we get to them. Kentucky will be a war and ole miss will be a shootout! IF we pull an upset of ole miss and or Kentucky, and beat vandy and S. Alabama, there is no way Heupel doesn’t get SEC coach of the year. Honestly, I think we put a scare in Alabama this year. Georgia will route us but our time is coming, buckle up fellas, because it’s about to get real and we’re about to see if we can play with the big boys.
GBO!!

Coaches have seen enough of the revitalized OM defense so they’ve returned to 2020 level. The Ole Miss game & Ky games will be determined by turnovers & key penalties.

I see Ol miss as a shootout. I think we need to play a perfect game on defense to win.

I can see us getting into a shootout for 3 quarters with bama but the depth they have will ultimately be too much.

Same with the dawgs.

I think we beat Kentucky by 2 scores.

Season is already a accomplished. We beat any of these next 4 teams, that's gravy my friend
I'm confused on how the season is "accomplished"? Yeah we should beat two more teams but as of now we are two games short of bowl contention and haven't competed with a big rival. This is accepting mediocrity before it's even been achieved.

Reactions: SockeyeVol
A sold out Neyland puts Tennessee over the top v Mississippi, there is no atmosphere in football better than when it's Rockin on Rocky Top ! Y'all grab some Nearest, grab a friend, and set this thing off !! GB🍊

Reactions: SmokinBob
Kentucky never scares me. 9/10 times, even in our really terrible years, we smack them around. That lopsided bs last year was because of everything swirling around the program and a coach on his way out.
And a QB who never should have gotten out of bed that day.

Reactions: Orange931

VN Store

Back