Here Comes the Recession

FWIW I'm not "hoping for" a recession. But, the reality is that our economy experiences them as a normal cycle. It's not a question of IF a recession will eventually occur, but WHEN. Better now before the election than after.
Better for who?

The economic expansion may be coming to an end, if the bond market tea leaves are correct. Last summer, For the first time since the financial crisis, the benchmark 10-year Treasury yield fell below the two-year yield, a pricing anomaly known as a “yield curve inversion”. Only once since 1950 has the yield difference become negative and a recession has NOT shortly ensued.

Obviously, the economy is really the only thing propping up Trump for potential re-election this Fall. If the economic dominoes tumble, buh bye.

If it's gonna happen, hopefully it will be short and not too severe. It's been a huge positive run since the crash of 2008/9.

View attachment 262180

Can you pinpoint your timeframes Nostradamus? At this point you have offered the equivalent of "it's going to rain."

It's inevitably going to happen at some point. No idea if that point is now, though. I have been waiting for another. About 60% of my real estate was purchased in 2009-2010. I want to expand but the prices in Middle Tennessee are prohibitive. When the recession hits, I plan on taking advantage of bargains bny making another bulk of purchases.

I don't want it to happen, mind you. I don't like do capitalizing on the misfortunes of others. But since these things are cyclical, I will be ready when the opportunity presents.

Don't think of it as capitalizing on other's misfortune. It's providing liquidity in a market of slow moving assets that aren't easily converted to cash.

Reactions: McDad
Why do people still believe the president runs the economy? If we made a list of people who impact the economy, would he/she even be in the top 50? Even as stupid as Trump's tariff fiat is, the actual effect is quite marginal.

The POTUS does submit a budget suggestion to congress I guess, but even the one Trump just sent to McConnell went straight into a shredder on Capitol Hill. He can ask for certain monetary policy, but no one is required to comply.

This perception probably goes back to FDR and LBJ, who were the last presidents to wield real power to do big things legislatively. We are probably at least a generation away from anyone having that sort of command of the economy again.

Last edited:
The key is to keep the House and win the Senate with a Dem president, then immediately get to work restoring some sanity to taxation policy.

Nothing is stopping you or any other dim from paying as much as you want. I guess you’re like luther and only want to pay more if everyone else has to. Pitiful.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Well, the dems will spin the ensuing economic impact of the coronavirus off as Trump's failed policies, and the general public against Trump will eat from their hands without knowing what's in the food.

Fact...It's coming. And it all solely rests on China, the coronavirus, and whatever they did to release it. We are doing some cafeteria jobs at Hyundai in Montgomery. They are already shutting down complete lines of auto manufacturing, there and California, for lack of parts due to the quarantines and complete shutdowns of factories currently happening in China. The loss of Chinese manufacturing will reach far and wide for a while. There's an old saying about putting all your eggs in one basket. Doesn't matter where you go to for offshore manufacturing. Doesn't matter if you bring it back to the US. At some point it all goes back to China for components. And none of it has anything to do with Trump, or whoever the sitting POTUS would be.

A lot of businesses were already thinking of supply chain overhauls based on the tariff situation.

I’m sure a lot will go all in now. I think we’ll see a dramatic change in the sourcing and supply chain landscape from the situation in China.

It’s much worse than most are letting on. Even if you have product, you cannot get a truck to move in the country. Containers are empty.

Reactions: GVF
Dems don't want to kill the economy. Dems want the growth to benefit the middle class much more than it has so far. 401k growth is nice, to be sire. But it pales compared to the benefits to the billionaires to date. Let's get some REAL wage growth and some sustained consumer demand.
Im going to let you in on a secret LG..When the economy does great, everyone benefits. People with more benefit more...its basic math.

The economic expansion may be coming to an end, if the bond market tea leaves are correct. Last summer, For the first time since the financial crisis, the benchmark 10-year Treasury yield fell below the two-year yield, a pricing anomaly known as a “yield curve inversion”. Only once since 1950 has the yield difference become negative and a recession has NOT shortly ensued.

Obviously, the economy is really the only thing propping up Trump for potential re-election this Fall. If the economic dominoes tumble, buh bye.

If it's gonna happen, hopefully it will be short and not too severe. It's been a huge positive run since the crash of 2008/9.

View attachment 262180
The coronavirus will do that to a economy.

They can’t accept that. If you invest $1 million the return on the same investment is gonna be much greater than someone who invested $10k.
In much the same way, a 10% income tax on a $1 million is a lot more than 10% on $75k. Yet the democrats insist that progressive income tax is “fair”.

They can’t accept that. If you invest $1 million the return on the same investment is gonna be much greater than someone who invested $10k.
They are obsessed with what other people do and ignore their own plight because they think they are "owed" something. No wonder they are hateful people who lead miserable lives.

No recession. We’re just getting started. THE BEST IS YET TO COME! You leftist better get out here and enjoy the economy. Go shopping. There is plenty of jobs. Go drink some coffee. Do something.

Dems don't want to kill the economy. Dems want the growth to benefit the middle class much more than it has so far. 401k growth is nice, to be sire. But it pales compared to the benefits to the billionaires to date. Let's get some REAL wage growth and some sustained consumer demand.
Are you saying that the billionaires investments are getting a better return or they are getting more money? Also, how is that the fault of the billionaires if that is the case? I get more return than someone else if I have more money invested....why is that wrong and why are billionaires the enemy and why, according to you, can other people not function unless billionaries are eliminated?

View attachment 262180
YGHN?

Reactions: volfanjustin
Are you saying that the billionaires investments are getting a better return or they are getting more money? Also, how is that the fault of the billionaires if that is the case? I get more return than someone else if I have more money invested....why is that wrong and why are billionaires the enemy and why, according to you, can other people not function unless billionaries are eliminated?

Billionaires already have enough money so they shouldn’t be investing or working to make more money. They should be doing all they can to give money away to get their wealth to a “fair” level.

Wage growth, demand have been up during the Trump term.
Income and wealth gaps have shrunk.

Wage growth was down during Obama and income/wealth gaps grew.

What is it you want?

[QUOTE="W.TN.Orange Blood, post: 17987505, member: 49718"]I've heard people in the know saying that this will be the best ever year for economic explosion & more growth.
So be happy that you'll have a good chance to roll around in your money like that ole Scrooge McDuck does.[/QUOTE]
Out of all the prominent experts, that isn't a consensus by any measure

Wage growth, demand have been up during the Trump term.
Income and wealth gaps have shrunk.

Wage growth was down during Obama and income/wealth gaps grew.

What is it you want?

Whoaaaaaaa!!!

Income inequality and the wealth gap have dramatically INCREASED under Trump.

Trump recently claimed that “inequality is down.” But the very next day, U.S. Census Bureau data confirmed that income inequality has hit its highest level since the federal government started tracking it five decades ago. The richest one percent of Americans now rake in one-third of the country’s net worth, while the bottom half of the population scrapes by with only 1.2 percent.

While Trump boasts of economic growth, inequality deepens

Economy & Politics: Income Gap Grows under Trump, Obama — but So What? | National Review

The top 1 % has 33 percent of the nation's wealth, while the bottom 50 % share just 1.2 % of the nation's wealth.

Not. Sustainable.

Reactions: MontyPython

VN Store

Back