Here comes the exodus...

One of the better coaching jobs you'll never hear much about: Jim McDonald taking the shattered remains of a Tennessee program shot to hell by Bowden Wyatt's steady slide into alcoholism and actually improving on the performance from 1962.

But man those uniforms. Those are better left where they belong in Stillwater and Corvallis.

0139603c521aec88b2fb31eef711148acf3f91e503.jpg
dont think ive seen these uniforms since being in neyland that year
kudos to stan mitchell

dont think ive seen these uniforms since being in neyland that year
kudos to stan mitchell

From what I've read, that was a group of battlers. Not as talented as earlier Tennessee teams. But the heart was just as strong in those kids and they certainly helped lay a foundation for Dickey to build on.

If Steele ends up serving in an interim role this year, then I hope he has enough in the tank in terms of talent and will to pull a McDonald and stabilize matters on the field.

From what I've read, that was a group of battlers. Not as talented as earlier Tennessee teams. But the heart was just as strong in those kids and they certainly helped lay a foundation for Dickey to build on.

If Steele ends up serving in an interim role this year, then I hope he has enough in the tank in terms of talent and will to pull a McDonald and stabilize matters on the field.
I was amazed by the turnaround and fared ffairly well the next couple years hawking programs and cokes

Reactions: Herman Hickman
Just saw where AP posted and said that hes heard that Eric Gray, Henry To'o To'o, Darnell Wright, and Quavaris Crouch have all expressed interest in entering the portal. Says they haven't entered yet, and may not, but regardless that is not a good sign of things to come...

Maybe we can get some third string players from Bama , UGA and Florida

Damn, you'd think these guys would at least wait and see who the next coach is going to be before deciding to leave. Maybe meet with him, talk to him for a bit first? They may like the new coach just as much or even more This whole "I'm outta here" mentality right off the damn bat kills me. What are they going to do when they get out into the workforce? Quit their jobs everytime there's a change in management? I get transferring if you're riding the bench. I get transferring if you just don't mesh with the new staff. I don't get transferring at the mere IDEA of a coaching change. That seems very impulsive and "knee jerk."

Last edited:
I see a lot of “I would rather have three star players that want to be here over 4/5 star players who don’t”. No, you don’t. If we have a roster comprised of three star players we are a 5-7 win team in the SEC. we might get an occasional win against Fla or Ga, but we will never compete for a title. This isn’t “The Little Giants” where the underdog miraculous wins.

Damn, you'd think these guys would at least wait and see who the next coach is going to be before deciding to leave. Maybe meet with him, talk to him for a bit first? They may like the new coach just as much or even.more. This whole "I'm outta here" mentality right off the damn bat kills me. What are they going to do when they get out into the workforce? Quit their jobs everytime there's a change in management? I get transferring if you're riding the bench. I get transferring if you just don't mesh with the new staff. I don't get transferring at the mere IDEA of a coaching change. That seems very impulsive and "knee jerk."
1. Put your name in the portal
2. Go tour a few campuses on the sly and maybe score some brown paper bags along the way
3. See who UTK hires and listen to their pitch
4. Make a decision

Personally, i'm not surprised. It was no secret these kids loved Pruitt and he was a player's coach. Just hate where we are as a program.

The blame is squarely on our brilliant AD who, not only hired Gomer Gump, but gave him an unearned raise and extension prior to the season. Gomer tried to replicate what Little Nicky does with bags-o-cash to recruits ..unfortunately Gomer is too dumb to pull it off. Bammer is a well-oiled cheating machine.

Just saw where AP posted and said that hes heard that Eric Gray, Henry To'o To'o, Darnell Wright, and Quavaris Crouch have all expressed interest in entering the portal. Says they haven't entered yet, and may not, but regardless that is not a good sign of things to come...

I see a lot of “I would rather have three star players that want to be here over 4/5 star players who don’t”. No, you don’t. If we have a roster comprised of three star players we are a 5-7 win team in the SEC. we might get an occasional win against Fla or Ga, but we will never compete for a title. This isn’t “The Little Giants” where the underdog miraculous wins.

When we get to the point where we are a 5-7 win team in the SEC we can start thinking about our talent level. Right now we need a staff and players who really want to be here, and coach / play football for UT.

Georgia State, Vandy, UK, and Arkansas were not anomalies, they were lessons. And we were a matter of fortunate breaks from learning several other "lessons" at the hands of other teams with less talent.

Again...stop the fire / flooding / bleeding, and then you work on fixing the ship / patient.

We're not going to be getting many 4 or 5 start players as we currently stand, anyway. So let's take the "3's" that really want to be here, and build from a strong foundation. That was my point.

Go Vols.

Well if you think about who may have received bags of cash.... I'd have Morris, Wright, Crouch, Henry T, and Gray on my list of suspects but guys this is all hearsay and fact of the matter is we are officially rebuilding again. If we have to begin with Calbert in the starting lineup instead of Wright (Calbert better IMO), Small/Beckwith/Hodge/Brown instead of Gray, Baron/Harrison instead of Crouch would it really make much difference? Losing Henry T would sting a lot because he's my favorite player but these other guys are kinda overrated tbh.

Next time someone posts about our HC getting stolen by UGA, Michigan Bama et al? Help me with the duct tape! 🤬

"Would make"

This is all hearsay.

Either way, I'm excited to see what Dee Beckwith and Jabari Small do with the opportunity to pick up some of Chandler's (and possibly Gray's) carries. Also excited to see what Cody Brown can do.
We got the carries!

Well if you think about who may have received bags of cash.... I'd have Morris, Wright, Crouch, Henry T, and Gray on my list of suspects but guys this is all hearsay and fact of the matter is we are officially rebuilding again. If we have to begin with Calbert in the starting lineup instead of Wright (Calbert better IMO), Small/Beckwith/Hodge/Brown instead of Gray, Baron/Harrison instead of Crouch would it really make much difference? Losing Henry T would sting a lot because he's my favorite player but these other guys are kinda overrated tbh.
I think Mark Stoops smarmy response about Tennessee recruiting was in regards to Baron.

Reactions: Border Vol

Anyway you look at this news, Pruitt leaving coupled with the investigation is a 3 year Death Penalty. No sense starting a HC search till end of 2022. Oh, and to add insult to injury, my guess is that we will not be permitted to play in any Bowl games for 3 years. Double ouch....!!

We sit here and raise cain about coaches and ADs, and we talk about voting with our wallets and not watching any more, but then we expect the team to give their all for Tennessee today come hell or high water. You're telling me that if your kid played here, and we decided to bring Hamilton back as AD, then bring back Butch, Dooley and Sunseri as a coaching trio, with Schiano for locker room management, you'd tell your kid that staying put is the right thing to do?

If anyone decides to leave before seeing the new direction, great, best of luck. If anyone leaves after seeing the new direction, great, best of luck. This'll all play out and we'll wind up with exactly who's supposed to still be here.

Reactions: Vol Catdaddy
Expect a few to jump ship. If they have Orange in their Veins, they will stay. Vols will be ok.

VN Store

Back