Henry T's Cousin Fires Back

I blame the coaches. Him sitting on the bench would have kept him from going through that crap. He wasn’t very good, but they kept throwing him out there to the wolves.

You have to be kidding me lol blame the coaches for a bunch of grown adults behaving the way they do

To be fair, Harvey Updyke didn't attack his own team. He killed the cherished trees of the opposition.

Anyone sending a player or his family death threats is a dumbass of the highest order.

Anyone actually sending a threat of death would be investigated. Someone saying that they wish JG would die to get him off the field, or so that Pruitt couldn't play him is just an idiot who needs a life.

The point, about Updyke, and others, is that Tennessee doesn't have the market cornered on a very miniscule percentage of their fan base that say stupid and ignorant things. HTT could have used that same excuse to come here if he had went to Alabama first and been responsible for missing a tackle that let Auburn win the Iron Bowl, I'm sure when Auburn wins that game, the Alabama idiots come out in force. Tennessee's just been in a bad spot for so long that those same idiots here ate active every day.

There are a few nut cases in every rabid fan base.. it’s just the way it will always be. Does he think bama doesn’t have those people? Lol
Yeah. Let Henry miss a tackle that costs them a championship and see what happens....

That said, anyone who sends death threats over college football... should be found and prosecuted.

Reactions: London Vol
He said “was” happening, I assume he meant under Pruitt’s regime.

Unfortunately, Henry T’s cousin is absolutely right. Our fan base should have never been attacking JG, that wasn’t helping. I can’t imagine the logic behind “You know what will fix this problem with JG’s struggles? A good ole death threat”

Perfectly stated. Jonathan Crompton still doesn’t come back here with his family or even by himself that often. We. Have. Hillbilly. Morons. Full stop.

Let’s admit our program was a disaster under Pruitt. Whatever comes out doesn’t surprise me. Only way is up.
Pruitt didn't make an idiot threaten anyone's life. I was critical of JG but wishing him dead is way past stupid.

Unfortunately, Henry T’s cousin is absolutely right. Our fan base should have never been attacking JG, that wasn’t helping. I can’t imagine the logic behind “You know what will fix this problem with JG’s struggles? A good ole death threat”
Death threats?
For one, those are illegal, and with screen shots, any actual death threat should be easy to turn over to authorities.

Reactions: GBOx2
Death threats?
For one, those are illegal, and with screen shots, any actual death threat should be easy to turn over to authorities.

Agreed and understood. Death threats don’t often show up in message boards anymore (moderators, family members being arrested etc.) but Jonathan Crompton was prologue to the treatment JG got and Crompton got death threats, written and in public. I saw it. It was despicable. Made me ashamed to be a Vol fan actually.

I can’t for the life of me understand why some folks feel ashamed to be part of a fan base for something that less than 1% of that fan base did.

Idiots are everywhere. Lunatics are everywhere. Guess what bama has them too. Maybe let cuz know that.

Our fan base is mostly great. We support our team win or lose. We have a great game day atmosphere. We buy tickets. We buy gear. We slap stickers on our cars. Be proud. Don’t be ashamed over 1 or 2 knuckledraggers.

If someone is threatening the life of one of our football players, absolutely a hillbilly. Fully open now dummy. What else you got *******?
No. Not a "hillbilly". Do you even know the people you're stupidly insulting? My family's heritage in the Smokies dates back to before the removal of the Cherokee. They are/were "hillbillies"... and NOTHING in Appalachian culture relates to making death threats against a college football player. That kind of idiot could just as easily be urban black... or some "woke" spoiled white kid offended that his team isn't giving him gratification.

No. Not a "hillbilly". Do you even know the people you're stupidly insulting? My family's heritage in the Smokies dates back to before the removal of the Cherokee. They are/were "hillbillies"... and NOTHING in Appalachian culture relates to making death threats against a college football player. That kind of idiot could just as easily be urban black... or some "woke" spoiled white kid offended that his team isn't giving him gratification.

So is my family. I’m talking about a state of mind, not a homogeneous oversimplification of a geo-specific demographic. I studied Appalachian fiction in college, too. I know precisely of which I speak. Let me be more generally specific (if that makes sense):

TRASH

Get it now? Nothing to do with heritage, provenance, ethnicity or otherwise. Can we agree on that term?

I’d say is 75% or better. If Saban or Dabo offered a chance to play at Bama or Clemson to all the UT players I bet 3/4 of them would jump.
I’m, of course, old school on this “loyalty” thing. IMO, it’s a rare player who “bleeds orange”—-I mean REALLY bleeds orange, unless they were influenced at an early age into the Vol culture. By this I mean BORN in Tennessee and/or watched UT play at Neyland or on TV each fall Saturday, or lived in another state but had parents who went to UT and influenced them beginning at an early age...there are many other possible reasons; but, I believe the love of a sports program and undying loyalty to it begin EARLY IN LIFE. HT was born in Concord, CALIFORNIA. He wears UT orange one year. Bama crimson the following year. I don’t care WHAT happened or didn’t happen in the locker room or on the field. He’s a child and then teenager OF another area of the country entirely. He had and now demonstrably HAS no allegiance to The University of Tennessee Volunteers.

This isn’t a hard and fast rule, of course. Plenty of exceptions, e.g., Peyton M. and dozens more. I agree with the poster above...Saban or Dabo offers scholarships to all of our players = the vast majority of non-native Tennesseans bolt (some natives, too, sadly). Loyalty is what FANS possess and always have. Players? Used to.

So is my family. I’m talking about a state of mind, not a homogeneous oversimplification of a geo-specific demographic. I studied Appalachian fiction in college, too. I know precisely of which I speak. Let me be more generally specific (if that makes sense):

TRASH

Get it now? Nothing to do with heritage, provenance, ethnicity or otherwise. Can we agree on that term?
Sure. Just don't use bigoted language like you started with- you are labeling a whole group of people who don't deserve it and take pride in who they are. It is no better than saying a "Ni--er. Moron."

I’m, of course, old school on this “loyalty” thing. IMO, it’s a rare player who “bleeds orange”—-I mean REALLY bleeds orange, unless they were influenced at an early age into the Vol culture. By this I mean BORN in Tennessee and/or watched UT play at Neyland or on TV each fall Saturday, or lived in another state but had parents who went to UT and influenced them beginning at an early age...there are many other possible reasons; but, I believe the love of a sports program and undying loyalty to it begin EARLY IN LIFE. HT was born in Concord, CALIFORNIA. He wears UT orange one year. Bama crimson the following year. I don’t care WHAT happened or didn’t happen in the locker room or on the field. He’s a child and then teenager OF another area of the country entirely. He had and now demonstrably HAS no allegiance to The University of Tennessee Volunteers.

This isn’t a hard and fast rule, of course. Plenty of exceptions, e.g., Peyton M. and dozens more. I agree with the poster above...Saban or Dabo offers scholarships to all of our players = the vast majority of non-native Tennesseans bolt (some natives, too, sadly). Loyalty is what FANS possess and always have. Players? Used to.
The players and head coaches are loyal to this

giphy (31).gif

Reactions: azvol03

Yeah like bammy fans have never done that...gimme a break HT is a bitvh and those cheating slugs can have him...piece of crap him and his crappy old man. Hope he tears up a knee to quote the great Danny Ford.

Sure. Just don't use bigoted language like you started with- you are labeling a whole group of people who don't deserve it and take pride in who they are. It is no better than saying a "Ni--er. Moron."

Interesting and bold. I disagree but I applaud the take. I know what you’re saying (I think) and am not attempting to patronize at all. I really do appreciate that take.

I dont buy that at all. Only approximately 2% of all college football players go on to play in the NFL. You're telling me the other 98% don't care at all about the school they're at, the relationships and the brotherhood they forge by going to war with their teammates, or the rivalries with other programs? I don't believe that at all. I think SOME players are exactly as you described but not the majority. Not by a longshot!
Umm... what? That’s not what I’m talking about. Bring me some data on the percentage of players that transfer. Better yet, bring me some data on the % that transferred, on average, each decade in the modern era and see if there’s not a huge uptick in recent years.

VN Store

Back